What format is compatible with Premiere Pro?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Otakuinn
Org Profile

What format is compatible with Premiere Pro?

Post by Otakuinn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:02 am

I spent about 6 hours ripping the content from my Bllu-Ray discs to Avi h264 mp3.
When I tried importing the files to Premiere Pro CS4, It wouldn't allow me an error message came up along the lines "file compression format not supported", I googled it and then did a suggestion I read and changed the file extension format to mpg. Then I started receiving dimensions too large.
I need to rip it to work on a MAC, even though I'll be ripping it on PC.
Any suggestions?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: What format is compatible with Premiere Pro?

Post by Pwolf » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:07 pm

if your ripping for use on a mac, going the AVI route probably isn't best. You should be encoding to uncompressed or try some 1080p/720p DV codec in a mov container. I'm not familiar with mac editing much but the short amount of time I did, all my source was uncompressed. If you're working with 1080p, that's probably not a good idea.

I would start looking through some posts in the Mac Software subforum for better information: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... m.php?f=65

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Premiere CS4 on the Mac SHOULD support H264, but it might not support it in an AVI container. I'd suggest checking out Handbrake for OS X (assuming it's still around) for ripping your blu-ray to an H264 MP4. Preferably it'd be better if you could get it into some kind of lossless format, but that costs a ton of hard drive space.

EDIT: Just saw that you're ripping it on a PC. To be honest I haven't messed around with blu-ray ripping in a long time. I would just take the method you're using now and try and see if you can put it into an MP4 file as opposed to an AVI (and that means more than just changing the extension. It's a specific type of "container" for the video that should be more Mac friendly).
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:35 am

MP4 is and always will be a terrible idea. OSX applications work fine with m2ts however, and that's what a BD has on it in the first place. The only time m2ts is annoying is in Avisynth.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Mister Hatt wrote:MP4 is and always will be a terrible idea. OSX applications work fine with m2ts however, and that's what a BD has on it in the first place. The only time m2ts is annoying is in Avisynth.
I probably should've quantified my reply by saying that I've never actually used MP4 in Premiere. I HAVE used it in AE several times with zero issues so I guess I just assumed that Premiere would also handle it fine. But yes, m2ts probably would work nicer.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Return to “Adobe Software”