After Effects

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
sholin360
Org Profile

After Effects

Post by sholin360 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:18 am

I'm starting to be able to use the VERY basics of Null Object. But I can't find a tutorial & I tested it out a lot. How do AMV creators move the camera like a transition to another clip.
For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqP8Ei1zPlA At 1:58, 2:13 etc.

Is there a name for this? And how do you do this?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: After Effects

Post by Pwolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 pm

zooming and panning with motion blur.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:49 am

Essentially all that's happening here is (I'm going to use AE for this example, but the same effect can easily be achieved in a normal editing program) he's going 2 layers on the timeline with a slight overlap of maybe 6-7 frames. Each layer is the corresponding clip. So for the 1:58 example, one layer is Clip A (the close-up of the chick's face) and the other layer, Clip B (the chick's hands).

The layers are positioned (in space, not necessarily on the timeline) so that Clip A sits on top of Clip B. Then, you could parent Clip B to Clip A, then all you have to do is keyframe the position of Clip A to move up quickly, putting Clip B now in it's place. If you turn on motion blur, the effect should be that it appears to do a quick camera pan down. Sometimes you have to add in some additional blur using something like Directional Blur or make the transition faster to fit the illusion.

This effect could also be done with an actual AE camera, putting the 2 clips into 3D space, stacked on top of each other, but I try to avoid using a camera unless it's necessary.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

sholin360
Org Profile

Post by sholin360 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Can you please explain it more :oops: I'm a total amateur and the only things I know are the ones I learnt from online tutorials such as a BIT of null object, animating key frames and a bit of masking. :oops:

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:02 pm

http://screencast.com/t/fWgQ3Ofa

Enjoy.

There's no audio since A) I'm at work, there's a lot of noise around me, and I don't really care to explain why I'm talking to my computer explaining things, and B) I don't have a mic here anyway so it doesn't matter.

I tried to go slowly enough though that it should be easy enough to follow. I made 2 dummy clips that are just supposed to represent 2 different pieces of footage. Also whenever you see me opening up the Position properties of a layer to add a keyframe, I'm hitting the "P" key, and when I go to show all keyframes that are already there, I'm hitting the "U" key.

sholin360
Org Profile

Post by sholin360 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Thank you so much! :D

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:31 pm

No problem. If you have anymore questions ask them here http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 3&t=108816

JD_Lord1
Org Profile

Post by JD_Lord1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Brad wrote:Then, you could parent Clip B to Clip A, then all you have to do is keyframe the position of Clip A to move up quickly, putting Clip B now in it's place.
Nice video! Seriously, I wish I understood what parenting was a looong time ago. Kind of amazing how long you can mess around with a program and still not realize that there is some super easy way of doing something :oops:
the JOSH

Return to “Adobe Software”