How many of you use/can use After Effects in your AMVs?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: How many of you use/can use After Effects in your AMVs?

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:14 am

I don't really use it that much in all honesty since most of the effects (and most importantly keyframing) I need can easily be done in Premiere CS5.5.

This is why I urge premiere editors to stop using 6.5-below and move onto the pro CS series.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Kairih
Org Profile

Post by Kairih » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:25 pm

I use after effects in almost all of my videos along with premiere pro.
This. I usually made a pre-editing in premiere and then adding effects in After Effects. :)

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:36 pm

I've used After Effects in all but one of my videos, but up until my latest video, it's been used extremely sparingly. I tend to try and get things done in Premiere and Photoshop first and, if that's too difficult or not the most efficient way to proceed, turn to AE. I have only once or twice (I think) ever used an actual preset "effect" in AE that someone could point to and say "Oh, that's the X effect."

AE is like any other tool in the editor's toolbox: it's a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. If you don't need it, don't use it.

TheLuminaireShow
Org Profile

Post by TheLuminaireShow » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:21 pm

People use AE after the whole video is complete? That doesn't seem to make the most sense to me, but then again, I'm not even sure how to properly utilize the program. I only really want to use the program to help create effects that help create the message I want to convey in my video. I'll definitely check that tutorial site out.

Photoshop for video makes sense, but does it really have to be done frame by frame? That sounds immensely time consuming. I'm sure there's an efficient way to go about the program. Most likely there are timeline and progression tools yes?
Name's Luminaire. Oboishinasai!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLuminaireShow

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Agree 120% with Brad. Knowing/using a tool is not what you should be worried about, it's the concept and theme of your video you should be worrying about.

That said, AE is an amazingly powerful tool. Definitely check out video copilot...think of it as your toolbox. You need to learn your tools before you make anything with them, and those tuts are a great way to learn the program and what it can do. But then, start thinking about how those work and fit together...and about how they fit your video in particular. Can you make an effect with the tools that works with your concept?

Or are you just doing the 3d logo video copilot tutorial and putting an anime frame in the middle of it? >_____>

Kairih
Org Profile

Post by Kairih » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:32 am

People use AE after the whole video is complete? That doesn't seem to make the most sense to me
I assure you that if you use Premiere with After Effects and you need to do some effects with it, you firstly need to put your clips in premiere and then edit them with after effects. That's the way it works. After all, that's the meaning of the name After Effects X°°°D (or at least, I guess).
I honestly don't know how people use it with sony vegas, it would be a pain for me. lol
Or are you just doing the 3d logo video copilot tutorial and putting an anime frame in the middle of it? >_____>
Yeah, that's true.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:02 am

Kairih wrote:I honestly don't know how people use it with sony vegas, it would be a pain for me. lol
You make a video with basic effects in Vegas, render lossless, mport it into AE :3

TheLuminaireShow
Org Profile

Post by TheLuminaireShow » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Kairih wrote:
People use AE after the whole video is complete? That doesn't seem to make the most sense to me
I assure you that if you use Premiere with After Effects and you need to do some effects with it, you firstly need to put your clips in premiere and then edit them with after effects. That's the way it works. After all, that's the meaning of the name After Effects X°°°D (or at least, I guess).
I honestly don't know how people use it with sony vegas, it would be a pain for me. lol
I guess it's just how my brain works. :p I picture selecting the clips, then adding the effects, then posting them in sequence in Premiere. Maybe they're both just two different ways to get to the same place.

And rest assured everyone, I'm not more concerned about making effects than I am having a concept and message for my videos. :) It's just a tool I'd like to familiarize myself with so I can better convey my message in my videos if necessary.
Name's Luminaire. Oboishinasai!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLuminaireShow

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:02 pm

I hear there is a correlation between house/trance AMVs and After Effects =p

Kairih
Org Profile

Post by Kairih » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:39 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Kairih wrote:I honestly don't know how people use it with sony vegas, it would be a pain for me. lol
You make a video with basic effects in Vegas, render lossless, mport it into AE :3
Oh, I see! That's smart. xD
I guess it's just how my brain works. :p I picture selecting the clips, then adding the effects, then posting them in sequence in Premiere. Maybe they're both just two different ways to get to the same place.
Yeah, you should have fun with what you're doing, so you should do whatever makes you feel better :3 If you don't like to use After Effects, don't use it. :)

Return to “General AMV”