The Anime Boston prescreenings

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Post by Warlike Swans » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:04 pm

xDreww wrote:I don't get it, but okay. Good joke.

Apparently not, but here's a site with a number of the sound clips anyway: http://home.earthlink.net/~ntareski/ok/sounds.html

They are not nearly as funny as I thought when as a kid... but it should explain the not-very-good joke.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:05 pm

But seriously guys, xDreww IS right that the audience doesn't vote for the best edited video. Anyone that's gone to a con has seen videos win that probably shouldn't have. Popularity of your source material DOES matter and you'd be a fool to think otherwise. That's not to suggest you "pander" to the audience or whatever, but it is a factor to consider.

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:06 pm

xDreww is right, for some reason some of the people in this thread are either stuck up there own ass or just plain retarded

xDreww
Org Profile

Post by xDreww » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:08 pm

irriadin wrote:Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/XSIaz.jpg

But seriously guys, xDreww IS right that the audience doesn't vote for the best edited video. Anyone that's gone to a con has seen videos win that probably shouldn't have. Popularity of your source material DOES matter and you'd be a fool to think otherwise. That's not to suggest you "pander" to the audience or whatever, but it is a factor to consider.
This is what I've been trying to say this whole time. Then you guys try to talk about me being this and that? Just please..jokes aside, be mature and actually have a conversation instead of trying to be a wise ass with your stupid jokes. So unnecessary.

xDreww is right, for some reason some of the people in this thread are either stuck up there own ass or just plain retarded

Once again THANK YOU. I think some people tend to act like that when they win cons so much. I see some people already.

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:35 am

xDreww wrote:
irriadin wrote:Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/XSIaz.jpg

This is what I've been trying to say this whole time. Then you guys try to talk about me being this and that? Just please..jokes aside, be mature and actually have a conversation instead of trying to be a wise ass with your stupid jokes. So unnecessary.

Once again THANK YOU. I think some people tend to act like that when they win cons so much. I see some people already.
All I'm saying is, if you don't like the way a certain contest is run (or the way prizes are awarded) then you might be better off not submitting to that convention and submitting to cons which DO do judged awards, like AWA's Master's Contest.

Audience choice is, and has always has been, this way. Popular songs/anime will get treated better than those which aren't as well known, that is a fact of life - HOWEVER, I have seen it happen that a spectacularly edited video with an unrecognizable song and anime wins out over better known source/songs. See "Hold Me Now" for a perfect example. Such videos are the exception, not the rule, but it can happen.

I think that what it boils down to is a choice on the part of the editor.

If you're making videos for your own enjoyment and just want as many people to see them as you can, then it really shouldn't matter if the audience doesn't vote for it just because you used a lesser known source. If you're happy with your work, and some people in the audience loved it, then you're happy with that result.

If you're in it to win contests, then you need to take the audience into account and use popular footage/songs, OR submit to conventions which judge solely on a technical standpoint.
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:57 am

it's a valid complaint. If you edit in a genre that doesn't get high youtube views and can't win the average con because of source choices, then it's frustrating because you have nothing physical to support your self esteem with, just opinions of friends maybe. It's like if you edit unpopular sources, and lose out to a video that edits popular sources with somewhat worse editing, then who's to say your video is better but you and some good judges, but good judges are a matter of opinion too. It's akin to the whole "i have more views/subscribers so i must be better" albeit con wins are a little harder to obtain with as little effort as views and subscribers, but it's the same principle. The general inexperienced population, whether they go to cons, judge cons, or watch youtube videos have an opinion that differs from experienced editors`

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:19 pm

xDreww wrote:This is what I've been trying to say this whole time. Then you guys try to talk about me being this and that? Just please..jokes aside, be mature and actually have a conversation instead of trying to be a wise ass with your stupid jokes. So unnecessary.

Oh? do we need a recap of how immature YOU acted last year after finding out the winners? There was like a two page flame war STARTED BY YOU that was deleted, but I still remember it if you would like a recap...You flamed for QUITE a while about my video winning and it was rather annoying to read about, but I completely avoided making comments and watched as you and several other editors went at it for several pages before a moderator had to step in and handle the situation.

IT'S JUST A CONTEST! Contests are done differently, and if you don't like the way one is done, DON'T SUBMIT TO IT! If you would like to see a change, E-MAIL THE CONTEST ORGANIZERS! There are better and MORE MATURE ways to handle the issue rather than flaming about it on public forums and making yourself look like an ass.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

hamstar138
A Big Ol' Bowl Of Fruit
Org Profile

Post by hamstar138 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:40 pm

(note just resubmitting what I said on the AB fourm, but just doing it here)

When I found out other people where doing the voting and not judges it was discouraging to me. But I also took it to me as more of a challenge I am willing to take. You play to popularity but also go with your own styles. But that doesn't always mean popularity will always win. You just to have to always keep trying.

But I agree with everyone else. If your not a fan the way it's judge the best and most mature solution is not to summit to the Anime Boston AMV contest.
ImageImage
ImageImage

xDreww
Org Profile

Post by xDreww » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:53 pm

all I'm saying is, if you don't like the way a certain contest is run (or the way prizes are awarded) then you might be better off not submitting to that convention and submitting to cons which DO do judged awards, like AWA's Master's Contest.

Audience choice is, and has always has been, this way. Popular songs/anime will get treated better than those which aren't as well known, that is a fact of life - HOWEVER, I have seen it happen that a spectacularly edited video with an unrecognizable song and anime wins out over better known source/songs. See "Hold Me Now" for a perfect example. Such videos are the exception, not the rule, but it can happen.

I think that what it boils down to is a choice on the part of the editor.

If you're making videos for your own enjoyment and just want as many people to see them as you can, then it really shouldn't matter if the audience doesn't vote for it just because you used a lesser known source. If you're happy with your work, and some people in the audience loved it, then you're happy with that result.

If you're in it to win contests, then you need to take the audience into account and use popular footage/songs, OR submit to conventions which judge solely on a technical standpoint.[/quote]

I'm not saying anything about how a contest is run, I'm talking about the type of videos that win, compared to the other video that has for more better/action/drama/upbeat whatever. Talking about how the most popular songs/anime wins due to popularity. Your'e right it doesn't matter, because I edit for fun, it's a hooby. I don't edit for people, I don't edit to win contest. It's all for fun. Still that doesn't have to do with anything about the videos that are winning at cons. Thats another story.
l33tmeatwad wrote:
xDreww wrote:This is what I've been trying to say this whole time. Then you guys try to talk about me being this and that? Just please..jokes aside, be mature and actually have a conversation instead of trying to be a wise ass with your stupid jokes. So unnecessary.

Oh? do we need a recap of how immature YOU acted last year after finding out the winners? There was like a two page flame war STARTED BY YOU that was deleted, but I still remember it if you would like a recap...You flamed for QUITE a while about my video winning and it was rather annoying to read about, but I completely avoided making comments and watched as you and several other editors went at it for several pages before a moderator had to step in and handle the situation.

IT'S JUST A CONTEST! Contests are done differently, and if you don't like the way one is done, DON'T SUBMIT TO IT! If you would like to see a change, E-MAIL THE CONTEST ORGANIZERS! There are better and MORE MATURE ways to handle the issue rather than flaming about it on public forums and making yourself look like an ass.
Hey, listen don't take what I said to deep buddy lol. If I offended you my bad. I was talking about you, when I say editors who wins take it all up in their head. So my bad. Also I was just stating how the video was better action wise compared to the other. I wasn't trying to flame, people just kept replying and stating, and I'll reply and state my opinion as well. Free to state your opinions on here right? Majority agrees, and I just wanted to know what other people thought. It is a contest, it is for fun, not saying anything bad about how it's being run. Just once again..saying about the winners, ect ect. Anywho thats the past, and don't come to me saying to act mature, when you don't even know me. Keep on judging buddy. Real nice!

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:04 pm

xDreww wrote:...be mature...
xDreww wrote:...don't come to me saying to act mature, when you don't even know me. Keep on judging buddy. Real nice!
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”