Avid Readers?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Re: Avid Readers?

Post by Rendakor » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:46 am

I'd heard about that series but decided to give it a pass after how bad Soldier Son was. The first SS book wasn't totally awful (I liked the fantasy equivalent of boot camp), but the direction she took in the second and third was just...not good.
Spoiler :
If the main character had recovered, become a successful cavalry guy, and rode off to smite some specks instead of becoming a fat druid thing, it might have turned out better. Alack and alas.
Image Image

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by aesling » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:19 am

Rendakor wrote:I'd heard about that series but decided to give it a pass after how bad Soldier Son was. The first SS book wasn't totally awful (I liked the fantasy equivalent of boot camp), but the direction she took in the second and third was just...not good.
Spoiler :
If the main character had recovered, become a successful cavalry guy, and rode off to smite some specks instead of becoming a fat druid thing, it might have turned out better. Alack and alas.
Spoiler :
Hell, if he had done anything other than whine about how fat he was for the entire second book it might have been better. I feel like Epiny should have been the main character, she was much cooler. The themes of colonialism and cultural identity were interesting, but the main character was such a useless boob that I couldn't stand him. As for the Rainwilder book, all of the characters were either not interesting, completely unlikeable, or both, in addition to the plot moving at a snail's pace.
:ying:

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:07 am

Robin Hobb... I've read the 1st Soldier Son and Assassin's Apprentice, and I while I finished both I felt not the least bit inclined to picking up the next book of either trilogy.

Haus Haberdasher
Org Profile

Post by Haus Haberdasher » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:12 pm

I’m currently making my way through A Song of Ice and Fire (just started A Storm of Swords), as well as the Dark Tower series. Ever since I got my kindle, I’ve been reading a lot of e-published novellas, mostly steampunk and horror. I read a lot of English history as well. I’ll read anything by David Starkey. I’ve got a to-read list that’s about 30 books long.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Robin Hobb is one of my favorite authors. Then again, I've only read her Farseer Trilogy, the Liveship Trilogy, and the Tawny Man trilogy. All of which I consider top-shelf fantasy. I've heard bad things about Soldier Son, but I guess I'll have to see for myself.

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:05 am

Haus Haberdasher wrote:I’m currently making my way through A Song of Ice and Fire (just started A Storm of Swords), as well as the Dark Tower series. Ever since I got my kindle, I’ve been reading a lot of e-published novellas, mostly steampunk and horror. I read a lot of English history as well. I’ll read anything by David Starkey. I’ve got a to-read list that’s about 30 books long.
Enjoy A Storm of Swords while it lasts; it's all downhill from there.
Image Image

Haus Haberdasher
Org Profile

Post by Haus Haberdasher » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:10 am

Rendakor wrote:Enjoy A Storm of Swords while it lasts; it's all downhill from there.
Yeah, my friends who have read the series all agree that A Feast for Crows is....difficult to read compared to ASOS. But hey, if I managed to push myself through the middle sections of The Historian, I trust that I can force my way through AFFC.

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by aesling » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:45 am

Rendakor wrote:
Haus Haberdasher wrote:I’m currently making my way through A Song of Ice and Fire (just started A Storm of Swords), as well as the Dark Tower series. Ever since I got my kindle, I’ve been reading a lot of e-published novellas, mostly steampunk and horror. I read a lot of English history as well. I’ll read anything by David Starkey. I’ve got a to-read list that’s about 30 books long.
I would have to disagree. Some of the characters are annoying to read, sure (*cough*Davos*cough*) but the events only get more and more epic, and to balance out those characters, there are some pretty awesome new ones as well.
:ying:

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:02 am

aesling wrote:
Rendakor wrote:
I would have to disagree. Some of the characters are annoying to read, sure (*cough*Davos*cough*) but the events only get more and more epic, and to balance out those characters, there are some pretty awesome new ones as well.
Double disagree. I read first 4 Song of Ice and Fire, and they were middle tier at best.

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:24 am

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Book 4 in particular had a TON of shitty perspective characters (Cersei, Sansa, everyone from Dorne, all of the Greyjoys); Arya and Jamie were the only two I enjoyed reading, and Arya's story went nowhere.

Book 5 was less awful but still not as good as the first three.
Spoiler :
Tirion hanging around with that other dwarf girl, Daenerys doing fuckall in Mereen for a whole book, Theon well, being Theon, Bran and Arya doing nothing (again) except continued training, etc. Add to the fact that most of Book 5 is spent retreading ground covered in Book 4, and the abysmal wait time between books (2 books in 11 years), and I was left very unsatisfied. Plus he killed my favorite character.
Image Image

Return to “General Discussion”