Avid Readers?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kairih
Org Profile

Re: Avid Readers?

Post by Kairih » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:57 am

Warlike Swans wrote:I haven't read it in years, and can't say it's something I feel terribly inclined to re-read. I think the main reason it made so may reading lists is that it is about books, and the whole point of those reading lists is to try to get kids to value books more. (Not that I recall it as bad, it just didn't leave a strong impression with me.)
Thank you so much for the review. :D
Then I guess I'll be waiting a while before buying it, it's not a urgent need after all. :)

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:36 pm

LopezAMV wrote:I recommend it :up:. Reading philosophical works is often incredibly tedious and I always find myself having to re-read everything at least a couple of times before I can fully understand it. Not sure why but I'm not particularly interested in Kant's work - while it has its merits, I found it considerably less interesting than the works of Locke, Descartes, Leibniz, Newton, and Plato.
I see you've been digging some important historical works in philosophy :up: Shame on me! I haven't read any of those. The oldest philosophical work I've read was Capital (vol. 1) by Marx. I should really get to the roots at some point. Too bad I've got enough books piled up on my bookshelf to last until the next year and most of them are very much contemporary philosophy. During the last few years I've been reading Heidegger, Sartre, Merleau-Ponty and, out of some even more contemporary ones, Dennett, Zizek, Habermas and Bourdieu, although the last two are more on the side of social philosophy/sociology. You probably know/have read some of these names :D I would really recommend this one.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Here are all the books I have yet to read. Well, actually not true. I'm probably not going to finish Kushiel's Dart (prose is lol), Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (padded out, boring etc) or the Belgariad (heard it's really generic).

Also, that stack of books is perilous and Shadow's Edge has a bad habit of falling down after I hit my alarm :dino:

Kairih
Org Profile

Post by Kairih » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:20 pm

That's a lot of stuff irriadin, good stuff I would say!

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm reading something by Kate Elliot right now :)
...And I'm tempted to write out a long commentary, but am too lazy.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:18 pm

irriadin wrote:Here are all the books I have yet to read. Well, actually not true. I'm probably not going to finish ... the Belgariad (heard it's really generic).
The Belgariad/Mallorean books are pretty generic, but they were among the first books I ever read (along with Terry Brook's Shannara books which are also pretty generic, the Chronicles of Narnia, and LotR) and I think they're great books to read when you're young. I haven't read them in something like 10 years, though, so I'm interested in reading them again to see what I think now.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Flint the Dwarf wrote:
irriadin wrote:Here are all the books I have yet to read. Well, actually not true. I'm probably not going to finish ... the Belgariad (heard it's really generic).
The Belgariad/Mallorean books are pretty generic, but they were among the first books I ever read (along with Terry Brook's Shannara books which are also pretty generic, the Chronicles of Narnia, and LotR) and I think they're great books to read when you're young. I haven't read them in something like 10 years, though, so I'm interested in reading them again to see what I think now.
Yea, I got that impression from what I've heard. I read the Shannara books ages ago, I doubt I'd enjoy them much now. Actually, I kept reading Terry Brooks until he published the book "Straken" upon which I decided that I would never read another book by him ever again.

LopezAMV
Org Profile

Post by LopezAMV » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:24 am

Emong wrote:
LopezAMV wrote:I recommend it :up:. Reading philosophical works is often incredibly tedious and I always find myself having to re-read everything at least a couple of times before I can fully understand it. Not sure why but I'm not particularly interested in Kant's work - while it has its merits, I found it considerably less interesting than the works of Locke, Descartes, Leibniz, Newton, and Plato.
I see you've been digging some important historical works in philosophy :up: Shame on me! I haven't read any of those. The oldest philosophical work I've read was Capital (vol. 1) by Marx. I should really get to the roots at some point. Too bad I've got enough books piled up on my bookshelf to last until the next year and most of them are very much contemporary philosophy. During the last few years I've been reading Heidegger, Sartre, Merleau-Ponty and, out of some even more contemporary ones, Dennett, Zizek, Habermas and Bourdieu, although the last two are more on the side of social philosophy/sociology. You probably know/have read some of these names :D I would really recommend this one.
I figured it would be best to start from the bottom up :P unfortunately I developed a preference over older material because of it. I don't really know much about modern philosophy since I haven't got that far but I'm slowly making progress. I'll definitely look into your suggestion though, I've been meaning to read something "new" for a while now :up:

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 pm

irriadin wrote:Here are all the books I have yet to read. Well, actually not true. I'm probably not going to finish Kushiel's Dart (prose is lol), Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (padded out, boring etc) or the Belgariad (heard it's really generic).

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/bSASQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6S0PT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rQCgp.jpg

Also, that stack of books is perilous and Shadow's Edge has a bad habit of falling down after I hit my alarm :dino:
Lot of nice stuff you've got there; Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy is excellent. Hobb's Soldier Son trilogy on the other hand was godawful.
Image Image

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by aesling » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:37 pm

I've come to the conclusion that Robin Hobb has forgotten how to write. The Soldier Son trilogy was terrible and boring, and she started a new series set in the Rain Wilds that was also terrible and boring.
:ying:

Return to “General Discussion”