The Anime Boston prescreenings

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote: Death Note + Taylor Swift == This:

Kira + L == Sparks Fly
Kira + Kiyomi Takada == You Belong with Me
Kyosuke Higuchi + Misa == Our Song

You're welcome :bear:
I'd like to see "You Belong With Me" with Kira, L, and Misa. With L on the outside looking in.
No! If I'm doing "You Belong with Me" I'm making Ryuk the main character.

Also, I hate you both for encouraging me.

Miracle_Falcon wrote: Though come to think of it, a negative audience reaction is partially holding me back from the amv I really wanna make right now. I want to make a really sweet DavisxKari AMV from digimon... I just rediscovered my pre-teen otp!
You should make it. Not everything has to be for contests.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Warlike Swans wrote: No! If I'm doing "You Belong with Me" I'm making Ryuk the main character.

/chant
do it. do it. do it.
/end chant
:bear:

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Ya know, I do have to say that all this crap about popular song/source being an auto-win isn't entirely true...I used a KE$HA song last year...I think my average comment on that video was "I hate Ke$ha...but I like this video...damn you!"... :rofl:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:
Warlike Swans wrote: No! If I'm doing "You Belong with Me" I'm making Ryuk the main character.

/chant
do it. do it. do it.
/end chant

But it would raise a moral dilemma. Which is worse; $0.99 worth of piracy, or $0.99 of support for "art" that I find morally reprehensible and culturally backward?

Also the song is obnoxious

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:

/chant
do it. do it. do it.
/end chant

But it would raise a moral dilemma. Which is worse; $0.99 worth of piracy, or $0.99 of support for "art" that I find morally reprehensible and culturally backward?

Also the song is obnoxious
Amazon.com MP3 credit + Netflix == Video Materials!
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:Also the song is obnoxious

Sounds like my kinda video. :up:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:01 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:

Amazon.com MP3 credit + Netflix == Video Materials!
I totally forgot they gave me 3 songs worth of credit!
Ileia wrote:
Warlike Swans wrote:Also the song is obnoxious

Sounds like my kinda video. :up:
:rofl:

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:27 pm

I feel compelled to weigh in on the original topic, since what I've got to say is basically a rehash of comments I've made aside in my journal. Expecting judges - or anyone - to be at their best when put through a lengthy and (by many accounts) unpleasant, torturous AMV marathon is asking a little much. Regardless of whether this is the norm for other contests as well, that is a LOT to expect of someone. If every screener/judge is as attentive, objective and serious about the task at hand at AMV 5 as they are at AMV 155 after 10+ hours of AMV watching, they are pretty exceptional people...but I find it hard to believe that this is what's going on, it's just not realistic.

Clearly people keep stepping up to the plate to do the job, however, not only at AB but at other cons, but here's one difference with AB: anyone who frequents the con community can get more than the usual amount of information about what's going on behind the scenes. Doesn't mean it's accurate, doesn't mean it represents the experiences or views of everyone, doesn't mean we all get the same information or information in the same ways, but we do get it and therefore - good or bad - we wind up forming opinions about it.

Fortunately this isn't a one-way street, which for me helps a lot when it comes to formulating an opinion on the state of affairs at AB. The AMV contest coordinator (that would be Adam) has always come across as very open and willing to listen and answer people's concerns, as he has done in this instance. Adam's made it clear that he has a big contest to run, that he's doing his best, and that he values and encourages feedback even though he can't possibly please everyone. Whether that feedback has actually fundamentally changed anything over the years is up for debate (and not by me), but hey: if someone truly doesn't like how a contest is run, they can take their support for that contest elsewhere, right? People who do support it will either take their place or leave it vacant, but AB certainly doesn't seem to be experiencing vacancies. Enough people make a fuss over something, though, and sometimes change does happen. Having someone running an event like this who IS open to change is a pretty awesome thing, but that change probably won't happen if people don't share their opinions.

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:pfft. I'm flying in from Minnesota to be there. :P

Also, I'm splitting the room on friday/saturday, but its just me on Thursday. So if you're still in need for a place for just Thursday night, send me a PM.
Yeah, I couldn't get off early on Thursday to get over to AB that night.

xDreww wrote:Honesty, in my opinion. The "Audience" Which are also the "viewers" Majority of them vote for their favorite anime/song and don't really look into another video that took part in that one category, or the other, which had a lot more feeling into the winner, or finalist. I still think if you have a popular song, you'll make it, or and win. That's just me. Seen it happen plenty of times, which kind of sucks. Can't blame the viewers to not know anything about an actually concept for an AMV. About the judges who decide what videos make it to the finals. I don't even know.
I find your contempt for your audience and condescending to them rather deplorable. I thought this last year when you complained on the AB thread and I still think it now; you just sound like sour grapes.
ImageImage

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:59 am

DriftRoot wrote:Expecting judges - or anyone - to be at their best when put through a lengthy and (by many accounts) unpleasant, torturous AMV marathon is asking a little much. Regardless of whether this is the norm for other contests as well, that is a LOT to expect of someone. If every screener/judge is as attentive, objective and serious about the task at hand at AMV 5 as they are at AMV 155 after 10+ hours of AMV watching, they are pretty exceptional people...but I find it hard to believe that this is what's going on, it's just not realistic.
I'll weigh in here from my perspective as a contest coordinator.

Last year I tried something with my pre-screening. We had about 10 people and 100 videos to go through. It was a dry event. In the interest of the sanity of my pre-screeners, I instated a rule that if they UNANIMOUSLY voted to skip a video (it had to be REALLY bad), that video would receive a 0 score and be skipped.

My pre-screeners were NOT liberal with this power. They voted to skip about 10 of the 100 videos, and most of those were so badly pixelated that you couldn't even tell what was happening on-screen.

I'm not saying that this is what AB should do (I hear Adam loves to torture his pre-screeners, sometimes I'd make mine sit through a truly awful one just because I had to so many times) but it seemed to keep the pre-screeners fresh for the entire viewing. By the end of it everyone was pretty burnt out, but that's why we put Comedy last, right? :)
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

Return to “AMV Contests”