Avid Readers?

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

Re: Avid Readers?

Postby Jadecavy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 am

I have mistborn sitting on a shelf next to me, and have had it for about a year and a half now. I really should read it, but I couldn't get into it. The ending that made me rage the most was sword of truth, though I don't know how I got to the end, it was pretty bad past the first book. That ending was so bad, though.
Jadecavy

Postby irriadin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:09 am

Mistborn's ending is like
Spoiler :
a literal Deus Ex Machina
, so I can see why it bothers a lot of people. Parts of the ending made me rage as well.
irriadin
BUBBLES!

Postby Kairih » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:25 am

I love books <3 I use to read them in the train when I go to study :D
Well, I'm a big fan of fantasy. I'm currently re-reading Eldest and no regret it. :)
Kairih

Postby Emong » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 am

I barely read fiction anymore but my bookshelf is nevertheless running out of space due to my obsession with philosophy. Just yesterday I ordered this and this :ying:
Image Image
Emong
A Damaged Lemon

Postby TritioAFB » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:40 am

Does reading medicine books count?

English books... hmm no, but I tend to read books from my native language. I can't really share them due to the differences of language and because none of them have english equivalents :|
Making AMVs by day, Going to Gym by Night
ImageImage
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld

Postby Prodigi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:56 am

Revelation Space universe, or anything else by Alastair Reynolds.
Prodigi
is the conductor.

Postby Pwolf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm an avid reader of wikipedia... does that count? :oops:

That said, I'm fond of Tom Clancy and I've read a few Star Wars novels (and various other sci-fi as well) back in the day.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby Flint the Dwarf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:41 pm

I didn't hate the Mistborn ending, and those books hooked me on Brandon Sanderson. I went and read Elantris and Warbreaker after that and loved them both. Then I read The Way of Kings and it totally blew me away. Leaps and bounds beyond the Mistborn trilogy, and just about anything else I've read.

I liked the Sword of Truth books up to about book 4-5, and have really liked the first couple of Song of Ice and Fire books. I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan; I go to his books when I need something more lighthearted. Max Barry is another writer that's knocked out some pretty interesting satirical fiction that is eminently enjoyable.

And right now I'm reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson, and it's pretty much what you'd expect from the guy. A very technocentric plot involving people that aren't stupid, interspersed with bits of rambling informational segues. It's not quite up to par with Snow Crash and Diamond Age, but it's been a fun book to plod through.

Pwolf wrote:I'm an avid reader of wikipedia... does that count? :oops:

Frick yes.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.
Flint the Dwarf

Postby Ijexis » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 am

At the moment, currently reading Revan because Ileia recommended it to me since I used to read the Star Wars novels a few years back. Shatterpoint was absolutely amazing and I have dabbled in the Young Readers books, mainly the Jedi Apprentice series. Animorphs was definitely one of my favorite series growing up, I still do not know why that was in the children's section, that most certainly was young adult material. Have read a few other things here and there, Ender's Game, 1984, Animal Farm, Catch-22.
Ijexis

Postby Prodigi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:20 am

Prodigi
is the conductor.

Postby Rendakor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:15 am

Another big fantasy/sci-fi fan here; rereading Wheel of Time before the final volume comes out. Favorite authors include Robert Jordan, Neal Stephenson, L. E. Modesitt Jr., Richard Morgan, Robin Hobb, etc. although I will say I'm not a LOTR fan at all. I've never read a Star Wars novel, though I like the movies well enough. I'm pretty picky when it comes to starting a new series, and can easily get turned off and drop one because of my pet peeves.

Outside of fantasy, I'm a huge fan of Chuck Palahniuk and I'd say my all time favorite book is Orwell's 1984.
Image Image
Rendakor
Falling Like A Star

Postby competitionbros » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:48 am

I used to read 3-4 books a week, I've had to cut down drastically but I still love to read. I prefer horror/whodunnits but I'll read anything that's not your typical romance shlock. I have no problem with romance but some of it is just grating.
competitionbros

Postby Emong » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Rendakor wrote:Robin Hobb

Used to be my favorite author right next to Tolkien back in my teens. The Farseer and The Tawny Man trilogies are both excellent.

I'm in the middle of a philosophic collection of articles on the thematic of cause and reason etc., which is just something I picked up from a book sale at my university, but I'm hoping to wrap it up quickly so I can move on to my next big project. Just how nerdy is it to get so excited about something like that? :book:

I'm also reading Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky...I don't think I've read anything so slowly before. I don't even remember when I started it. Like a year ago? :roll:
Image Image
Emong
A Damaged Lemon

Postby Flint the Dwarf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Emong wrote:
Rendakor wrote:Robin Hobb
I'm also reading Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky...I don't think I've read anything so slowly before. I don't even remember when I started it. Like a year ago? :roll:

I read that just last year and it took a long time getting through. I ended up returning it to the library two weeks late after only getting about 2/3 through. I do want to finish it, but it was really compelling.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.
Flint the Dwarf

Postby qyll » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Tried reading some sci-fi. Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Stranger in a Strange Land, Dune. Just didn't click. Perhaps you guys can recommend me some page turners.

Stephen King is great (good stories), George Orwell is dandy (no bullshit writing style that I can appreciate), and Alexandre Dumas is also awesome (absolutely amazing storyteller. The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite book.).

Currently reading Starship Troopers, which is quite decent.
zzz
qyll

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion