Rotobrush in AE CS5

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Kairih
Org Profile

Rotobrush in AE CS5

Post by Kairih » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:15 am

This is what I mean.

So, what do you think about it?

I've just discovered it today *is still learning the program* and well, I've tried to use it for my next video but, really, it's not that good (than masking frame per frame). Sure, it's useful but still... I'm not finding THAT useful.
Maybe I just want my mask to be perfect. :nono:
What about you? Did you know about it? Did you find it useful? Or did you do your masking in the "old" way?

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Re: Rotobrush in AE CS5

Post by irriadin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 am

It's very hit or miss, in my experience. Sometimes it works really well, other times it ends up being much more frustrating than just masking it the old-fashioned way. I like to have perfect control over my masks, so the rotobrush can be a "quick and dirty" solution, but I have been trying to avoid using it lately.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 pm

It's useful in certain situations. It doesn't like pointed curls (like you see in anime hair) much at all, and it takes some getting used to in terms of the settings. Best way to use it, i've found, is to turn almost all the optional settings off, bring the feather down to like 5%, do a rough mask, touch up the sections that are wildly wrong, then turn on refine and feather and play with the choke and feather values a little bit.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Kairih
Org Profile

Post by Kairih » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Best way to use it, i've found, is to turn almost all the optional settings off, bring the feather down to like 5%, do a rough mask, touch up the sections that are wildly wrong, then turn on refine and feather and play with the choke and feather values a little bit.
I'll remember that, thanks. :) This might be useful!

Return to “Adobe Software”