AMV's ala Linux

Side Swipe
Org Profile

AMV's ala Linux

Post by Side Swipe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:57 am

So I have decided that I need to make the switch to Linux. I know I should be able to run many of the programs I know and love thru WINE... However I am also looking at all the other open source Editing programs out there available to me and wondering if it's even feasible to make an AMV with these programs...

A would appreciate any INFO any one has on this subject....Including the use of WINE... Recommendations for software to use and the like, compatibility issues, exporting quirks, anything that might be useful. If noone out there has ever tried this I will be more than happy to Chronicle my exploits assuming they prove fruitful and see what comes of it...

Cheers

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: AMV's ala Linux

Post by Pwolf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:51 am

I think premiere works under wine, I don't know for sure but it's worth testing. As far as open source, there's cinellera. Blender has a video editor i believe as well. These are perfectly fine for editing just need to get used to them. I did some testing with cinellera a while back but never really did anything extensive. A lot has changed since then so I might think about giving it another shot.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:27 am

Sadly, most video editing programs on Linux aren't really close to Premiere (and those that are in that range are pretty alien to what general prosumer NLE users expect). I'm not exactly holding my breath waiting, either.

Other options would be OpenShot, kdenlive, Lumiera (a rewrite of CinelerraCV that looks a lot friendlier; may still be in an unstable state).

It's difficult to say exactly what you should use, re: file formats, since that can change a lot based on what versions of libavcodec/libavformat/etc. the above programs are compiled against, or if the distro in question restricts parts of that code (requiring extra packages to get that functionality back: at the very least, Debian and Ubuntu do this, not sure if any others do). They should be like, 99.99999999% guaranteed to support HuffYUV (and ffvhuff, aka the YV12 version of HuffYUV) and FFV1. Those are your safest bets, for both import and export.

If you know that you're using new versions of the libraries, then that can expand to also include Lagarith and Ut Video (although at present, encoding either of those has to be done through Wine). However, this means really new versions: Lagarith was added in January 2011 and only supported YV12 until November-December, when it finally gained RGB24 decoding (RGBA and YUY2 aren't supported, although there are some RGBA-centric commits in there). Ut Video was added in October 2011, and to my knowledge, supports all of the relevant colorspaces.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

hawky316
Org Profile

Post by hawky316 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm also trying to make amvs in linux and my issue is ripping them, I have wine and tried dvd decrypter but I cant seem to rip with it in wine without having the .iso file already on the computer which seems redundant. Does anyone have any suggestions on ripping the dvd onto my computer?

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:27 pm

try dvdfab in wine? there are other tools also, i'll try and get a list when I have a few more minutes to spare

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:43 am

As long as you can play the main video portion (movie, TV, whatever) with mplayer, then you can just use it to rip. No Wine necessary. Obviously does not work for Blu-ray, just for DVD (and I'm not sure if some of those really wonky discs Funimation, et al. were/are putting out are okay with this method or not).

So at the bare minimum, ensure that mplayer can play the disc (for discs that are encrypted, this means it needs to support libdvdcss2 and libdvdread). Find out which of the disc's titles is the right one, which should be a part of knowing that mplayer can play the disc in the first place. Then,

Code: Select all

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile /path/to/file.vob dvd://#
I tested it with the Ore no Imouto DVD I have, so in that case it was:

Code: Select all

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile /home/username/Videos/ore.vob dvd://2
And voila - decrypted video saved to your hard drive. I even tested it by transferring it back to the Windows side of my computer and opening it in MPC: no encryption.

You could also try to see if you could get SmartRipper running in Wine. I haven't tested it myself but the AppDB lists it as Platinum-level software.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:47 am

There are two native linux tools i've noticed people mention also. Although i've never used them I think they're called k9copy and thoggen.

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:13 am

Another option for whole-disc decryption is vobcopy (it can also apparently do title-based ripping as well, and looks like it might be more suited for fine-tuned rips than mplayer is). Like the mplayer tactic, it also needs libdvdread4 and libdvdcss2 installed.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:32 am

Skipped this entire thread because it's full of wank but the only good editing software in linux is pretty hard to get going, and rather expensive. If you DO care to pirate it, see AutoDesk IFFFS 2012. As far as running stuff in wine goes, it works but it ins't pleasant and you often run into weird dshow or rendering bugs.

Related to ripping, I'm pseudo-working on a replacement for DVD Decrypter and DVD Fab that should run in linux.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:28 pm

"Good" is subjective. Id rather use Cinellerra if I had the choice.

Return to “Video Editing Software”