Workflow, Vegas - After Effects

Solafighter
Org Profile

Re: Workflow, Vegas - After Effects

Post by Solafighter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 am

Miya, thats what i also had in mind.

Thanks a lot for your replies, everyone. Helps me out a lot. :)

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:17 pm

I've never used AE, but I think lossless codecs are your best friend when importing into different programs.

Solafighter
Org Profile

Post by Solafighter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Thats for sure. For export of AE, i use loseless (uncompressed) .avi format(basicly, i dont change any settings, when puting the composition into the render qeue list).

MetamorphosisStudios
Org Profile

Post by MetamorphosisStudios » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm

I see but wouldn't it be better if you used Premiere Pro with AE?it would save you lots of work and also quality. Did you guys know that premiere is much better than Vegas? Btw I'm not hating or anything I'm just curious ^^

Solafighter
Org Profile

Post by Solafighter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:50 am

MetamorphosisStudios wrote:it would save you lots of work and also quality.
Work, yes. A little bit. :wink:

Quality, i dont think so. The last weeks i made a few tests of quality loose. If you render looseless(uncompressed) video material out of AE, the quality is the same(obviously, the uncompressed material is not small, depending of the resolution[720p/1080p]).

What i did:
  • Render a raw video without any editing with Premiere into a .mp4.
  • Render a raw video without any editing with Sony Vegas into a .mp4 file (same settings as Premiere).
  • Render a raw video without any editing with After Effects into an uncompressed, looseless .avi video, importing it into Sony Vegas, then rendering this material into a .mp4.
On those three tests, the quality was the very same. I put all 3 vids over eachother and checked very specific about any difference of quality, color tones and so on. I couldnt find any difference.

If you export from After Effects, what you want to achieve, is to get the same quality, as the raw footage, you put into Sony Vegas or Premiere(or other software). After Effects is able to do this.

If you had bad experience with this, please let me know, what export settings you used for AE.
MetamorphosisStudios wrote:Did you guys know that premiere is much better than Vegas? Btw I'm not hating or anything I'm just curious ^^
Matter of taste. :mrgreen:

MiyaDV
Org Profile

Post by MiyaDV » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:43 pm

It doesn't matter what editor you use they all can achieve pretty much the same thing, some people prefer others like me with Vegas vs Premier.

I could say Nuke, fusion, w/e are all way better then after effects, since their node-based and industry standards (AE is laughed at by professionals) but again that's on preference since you can achieve the same thing in both programs.

I'm going to say for the hell of it though, back in 4.0 Vegas WAS better then Premier. I swear it was so innovative compared to it, trying to apply effects in the old premier and having to render to ram or w/e you had to do suckedddd lol Vegas was all realtime previewing and moving clips around back then but it doesnt seem Vegas updated much over the years, just adding more support or so.

Hey Sola,

Do you render your final video from the program? That works well and all but I always found I could achieve better quality rendering the final thing lossless with audio, or rendering audio seperate to .wav too, then using x264 to encode instead (like megui with avisynth) or that amv app they got zarx264gui.

And yeah the main things to look out for when rendering lossless is just that all the settings stay the same fps etc
. . . . . .

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:54 am

Solafighter wrote:
MetamorphosisStudios wrote:it would save you lots of work and also quality.
Work, yes. A little bit. :wink:

Quality, i dont think so. The last weeks i made a few tests of quality loose. If you render looseless(uncompressed) video material out of AE, the quality is the same(obviously, the uncompressed material is not small, depending of the resolution[720p/1080p]).

What i did:
  • Render a raw video without any editing with Premiere into a .mp4.
  • Render a raw video without any editing with Sony Vegas into a .mp4 file (same settings as Premiere).
  • Render a raw video without any editing with After Effects into an uncompressed, looseless .avi video, importing it into Sony Vegas, then rendering this material into a .mp4.
On those three tests, the quality was the very same. I put all 3 vids over eachother and checked very specific about any difference of quality, color tones and so on. I couldnt find any difference.

If you export from After Effects, what you want to achieve, is to get the same quality, as the raw footage, you put into Sony Vegas or Premiere(or other software). After Effects is able to do this.

If you had bad experience with this, please let me know, what export settings you used for AE.
MetamorphosisStudios wrote:Did you guys know that premiere is much better than Vegas? Btw I'm not hating or anything I'm just curious ^^
Matter of taste. :mrgreen:
If you use Lagarith or UTvideo is usually makes a smaller file and saves on rendering time.

MetamorphosisStudios
Org Profile

Post by MetamorphosisStudios » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 am

MiyaDV wrote:

I could say Nuke, fusion, w/e are all way better then after effects, since their node-based and industry standards (AE is laughed at by professionals) but again that's on preference since you can achieve the same thing in both programs.
I 100% agree with you but remember that AE is more of a motion graphics software nuke and fusion are meant for compositing I've used nuke x for 2 years now and it can be a pain in the a** to make some decent motiion graphics >.>

Solafighter
Org Profile

Post by Solafighter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:34 am

MiyaDV wrote: Hey Sola,

Do you render your final video from the program? That works well and all but I always found I could achieve better quality rendering the final thing lossless with audio, or rendering audio seperate to .wav too, then using x264 to encode instead (like megui with avisynth) or that amv app they got zarx264gui.

Yeap, always used MeGUI for x264 encoding.

DemonAMVs
Org Profile

Post by DemonAMVs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:33 am

MetamorphosisStudios wrote:As a motion graphic designer and a 3D artist I just don't get why so many people use Vegas with AE >.>
I have tried using premiere and I find it clunky, maybe its because I am inexperience but I just don't like the feel and look. Also, whenever I try using the dynamiclink between Premiere CS5 and AE CS5 it never works, I always get an error. So I am stuck with the same problem with both software.

Return to “Video Editing Software”