"Selected file could not be linked"

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Cyrix
Org Profile

"Selected file could not be linked"

Post by Cyrix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm having a weird problem with a Premiere Pro 2.0 project. I made an AMV a few months ago but didn't render out the master because I needed to lip-synch one clip first, and then I got distracted with other things and didn't work on it again until today. Now when I open the project, all the video files are offline, and if I try to link them, I get the error "The selected file could not be linked because its type (video) does not match the original file's type (video and audio)".

It's the same project, on the same computer, with the same files... I don't know why the files would have worked before, but don't work now. I tried looking this up but didn't have any luck. I also tried making an AVS script with a link to the video clip for each clip, and linking to those instead - that works, but the timing of everything is slightly off, and I'd hate to have to fix it clip by clip.

Anyone know a solution for this problem?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: "Selected file could not be linked"

Post by Pwolf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:55 am

what format/codec are the files? Did you install any codec packs or uninstall any codecs?

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 am

Xvid in .AVI. Not the best source, but it works worked. I installed Media Player Classic Home Cinema a few weeks ago, that's all I can think of.

I opened the Premiere project file in a text editor and found that the project files are actually XML. I tried removing the audio tag from the data block for each video but that just causes Premiere to crash when trying to open the project; I think the corresponding audio data blocks would have to be deleted, but then all of the data blocks in the project file would have to be renumbered, which isn't very practical when there are hundreds of them.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Cyrix wrote:Xvid in .AVI
Well, there's your problem. Never edit with xvid/divx... but since the deed has been done, lets try and get it working.

Uninstall all codecs and codec packs from your computer. Go into your add/remove programs and remove anything remotely related to codecs or video playback (this is includes media player classic).

Restart your computer.

Then, install the xvid codec from http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html

Then try loading your project.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to fix this issue. I would re-encode the source to lossless and then relink to the lossless files.

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:06 am

Oi, the cure is almost worse than the disease.

Ya see, I figured, "no one is gonna like this video anyway, why bother putting in the extra effort of doing everything correctly?" (also I'm perpetually out of hard drive space due to Steam). My goal was to spend as little time on it as possible. Le sigh.

Thanks, I'll mull my choices over and decide something eventually.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:17 am

Cyrix wrote:Oi, the cure is almost worse than the disease.

Ya see, I figured, "no one is gonna like this video anyway, why bother putting in the extra effort of doing everything correctly?" (also I'm perpetually out of hard drive space due to Steam). My goal was to spend as little time on it as possible. Le sigh.

The other option is to frameserve the files in avisynth and then link those into premiere.

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:43 am

Pwolf wrote:
Cyrix wrote:Oi, the cure is almost worse than the disease.

The other option is to frameserve the files in avisynth and then link those into premiere.
Yes, that was what I meant in the second paragraph of the original post. Everything is off by a few frames. Maybe I'll just tweak the scripts doing the frameserving, if the offset is a constant

Return to “Adobe Software”