Pencilhead help

Boneripper
Org Profile

Pencilhead help

Post by Boneripper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am

So I was looking at this "making of pencil effect" part of qwaqa's amazing pencilhead video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prqdN8vsTrg

i was trying to follow those steps to make a similar effect, however I don't really understand what to do here and there, is there anyone who could explain more in depth, I'm not a total noob but Im not all that experienced either, what gets me is first "Layer3: adjustment" which gives me with no information I guess? but I made some corrections to achive the same look and continued then I stumbled upon the white stroke and blur part, which said the effects, but again I couldt really make it as "static" as he did, well I continued anyway but then I got stuck, it says "layer 5 + layer 6" then a bunch off effects, what does the + mean ? and also It says "add" then "multiply" I guess I missed something cause It looks bonkers when I make it multiply.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Re: Pencilhead help

Post by Niotex » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Qwaqa doesn't really do a good job of explaining the process, but one can't blame him as it's hard to really give insight into those things. There are a couple of ways of achieving the effect all have their pros and cons. I can't really tell you what or why he made certain adjustments. But if you're willing and patient I can give you a possible alternative. Though this might not reflect the exact same end result as I have a different way of working obviously.

Would've replied earlier but was busy.

Boneripper
Org Profile

Post by Boneripper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 am

Ofcourse, any help anyone can give in the matter is much appreciated :)

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:08 pm

I'll do a mockup later tonight.

/edit- Mockup as promised.

http://youtu.be/EWGmB1PG1hM?hd=1

I realized afterwards that I forgot the directional blur and added a little too much texture. If you have any questions just shoot a reply and I'll address it accordingly.

Replay Studios
A Studio Within A Studio
Org Profile

Post by Replay Studios » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Niotex wrote:I'll do a mockup later tonight.

I realized afterwards that I forgot the directional blur and added a little too much texture. If you have any questions just shoot a reply and I'll address it accordingly.
It always cool to see people helping each other ^^

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 pm

Replay Studios wrote:

x2 :awesome:

SuijinReflx
Org Profile

Post by SuijinReflx » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 am

lloyd9988 wrote:
Replay Studios wrote:

x2 :awesome:
x3 :up: I dont really think the pencil head graphics will be too useful but its definitely good for learning new stuff
Mizu

Boneripper
Org Profile

Post by Boneripper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:20 am

First of all thanks SO much for the help it's really super nice!

It's a very well made and easy to understand video but somehow I mess something up, it looks good but there is a problem with the last layer, when I use "Channel Combiner" and chose Alpha the stuff outside of the mask (which shouldn't be visible since I'm using a mask) gets visible, am I stupid or missing something here?

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:18 pm

If you could post a picture of your comp/timeline and corresponding channel combiner effects window I'm sure we can have a look. Before that I'd recommend trying to pre-compose the mask as the mask itself might be doing something weird to the alpha.

So just Pre-compose it similarly to how I was working in the tutorial and apply everything on that rather than a direct copy of the mask. It shouldn't cause problems with any soft edges considering you don't have a active camera lens blur on your character like I did on mine. Which was completely unneeded on my part I just forgot to disable it on the original.

If that doesn't work just post the screens and I'll have a look. Just woke up so pardon me jumping around.

Boneripper
Org Profile

Post by Boneripper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm

Not sure exactly what to take pictures of but I took of the 3 layers (excluding the pencil textures that doesn't have any effect on them)
and also I unchecked the effect that is "causing" the problem. Tell me if you need an image of anything else and I'll take it.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”