AE CS5.5 Location Point

lloyd9988
Org Profile

AE CS5.5 Location Point

Post by lloyd9988 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to do 0:33 - 0:37 on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ2iJypqK1M

I know to do the flashing triangle things that I just need to adjust the opacity from 0 - 100% but I'd kinda like to figure out how to do the whole thing(The Shapes and movement of the aim) for future reference if anyone has some advice to spare. :P

SuijinReflx
Org Profile

Re: AE CS5.5 Location Point

Post by SuijinReflx » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:35 am

A fast method of flashing the triangles is by using an plugin called twitch, if you dont have it the opacity change is okay. The circle can by done by having two circular masks, with the larger one being an add mask and the smaller one a subtract. Line them up and make them thinner. finally just add some more rectangular subtract masks to make the circle look "Cool".
Mizu

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Eake4 wrote:A fast method of flashing the triangles is by using an plugin called twitch, if you dont have it the opacity change is okay. The circle can by done by having two circular masks, with the larger one being an add mask and the smaller one a subtract. Line them up and make them thinner. finally just add some more rectangular subtract masks to make the circle look "Cool".
Wow, Thanks a lot! :D

Time to put this advice to the test! But. . . I'mma ask this now than later, are the rectangular subtract masks used only on the circles then??

SuijinReflx
Org Profile

Post by SuijinReflx » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:26 am

lloyd9988 wrote:
Eake4 wrote:A fast method of flashing the triangles is by using an plugin called twitch, if you dont have it the opacity change is okay. The circle can by done by having two circular masks, with the larger one being an add mask and the smaller one a subtract. Line them up and make them thinner. finally just add some more rectangular subtract masks to make the circle look "Cool".
Wow, Thanks a lot! :D

Time to put this advice to the test! But. . . I'mma ask this now than later, are the rectangular subtract masks used only on the circles then??
Put the rectangular masks on certain parts of the circle only to give it a better or more futuristic look.
Mizu

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:01 pm

Oh, I found something else out, I thought maybe an easier way to do it would be make a solid, then just generate a circle and add an "Edge Radius" to it. :P Because I was trying the masking portion but, whenever I rotated it, the mask would have uneven dimensions, probably due to the fact that I was masking on an uneven resolution. :sweat: My bad

Also, I got what you meant by the rectangular subtract masks :D It does have a nice futuristic look! Thanks :D

Edit: Also, I think I got it down. My only problem is the whole timing issue where I need a longer time span first. Anyway, here's the link if you want to check it out (I also fucked up with the placement of the triangle, but, luckily, its so small its barely noticeable) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDIH8fq ... e=youtu.be

SuijinReflx
Org Profile

Post by SuijinReflx » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:44 am

lloyd9988 wrote:
Oh, I found something else out, I thought maybe an easier way to do it would be make a solid, then just generate a circle and add an "Edge Radius" to it. :P Because I was trying the masking portion but, whenever I rotated it, the mask would have uneven dimensions, probably due to the fact that I was masking on an uneven resolution. :sweat: My bad

Also, I got what you meant by the rectangular subtract masks :D It does have a nice futuristic look! Thanks :D

Edit: Also, I think I got it down. My only problem is the whole timing issue where I need a longer time span first. Anyway, here's the link if you want to check it out (I also fucked up with the placement of the triangle, but, luckily, its so small its barely noticeable) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDIH8fq ... e=youtu.be
Mmh, not bad. That i guess would have taken about 30 minutes. Remember working on Projects that you love just take some time to make it look better and it'll become legendary. :awesome:
Mizu

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Remember to parent your layers so they can be moved around as a single element.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Niotex wrote:Remember to parent your layers so they can be moved around as a single element.
Like, parent to a null object?? Because I just precompose each part into different layers and then precompose it into one layer. Think I should do it differently??

Also, update: (Still needs touch-ups)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGk2M5PyyCw

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:00 pm

First up, that's looking pretty good.

If I get what you're saying you're going about this really inefficiently. Set's of elements that remain static on correlation to each other should be pre-composed. That pre-comp should then be parented to the rest of sets. No endless deep pre-comps, as those will cause for unnecessary ram loads.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Niotex wrote:First up, that's looking pretty good.

If I get what you're saying you're going about this really inefficiently. Set's of elements that remain static on correlation to each other should be pre-composed. That pre-comp should then be parented to the rest of sets. No endless deep pre-comps, as those will cause for unnecessary ram loads.
So Layers upon layers should suffice rather than deep pre-comps and keep the layers fully open??

Return to “Effects & Techniques”