Youtube link slot?

gotegenks
Org Profile

Re: Youtube link slot?

Post by gotegenks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:43 pm

so let's take time on the ideas, not the labor. i agree that more coding would be much better than less coding (obviously) but everytime someone brings up a complex yet completely accepted and supported change to the site, someone says "we could but that would be a lot of work and i don't have the time and we don't have that many coders so nah"

same with the Org redesign. we can fantasize about a new website all we want but until we fix something about our process, nothing's gonna happen. we either need more coders with experience and time (or money) or we need ideas that won't take that much labor. sometimes all your workspace needs is a little rearranging, not a completely new set of furniture and hardware.

these posts, however annoying they may be, are just me trying to better this site, not to just get my ideas through because they're my ideas. in the case of youtube embedding, i had a shitty idea, nya pointed it out, so i revised it, and now it's not so opposed to. that's a shorter example of what i think we should be doing with the time we spend on improving this site.

share an idea > discuss > change > rinse repeat til it's something we can do right now with our current staff and abilities > ACTUALLY DO IT

the last step should not be the hardest or the most time-consuming part of this process, as it's an overwhelming minority that has to do that last step.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:06 am

gote wrote:i don't get what you're saying...or...you didn't get what i was saying?
That the current code and the design over it is a mess and it can't be "easily replaced with minimal coding" ;x

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 am

gote wrote:share an idea > discuss > change > rinse repeat til it's something we can do right now with our current staff and abilities > ACTUALLY DO IT

the last step should not be the hardest or the most time-consuming part of this process, as it's an overwhelming minority that has to do that last step.
There's a bit of a problem with your insight here. Let me explain a bit.

Imagine the Org as a house. In its early days it was a simple shed for AMVs. Quite sturdy, as dokidoki is a person too - but reliable. You could look at it

Then, over time, the people and AMVs and... CHANGES came. There was implementation of forums (three times, actually - the original and two major BB ones), which changed how this site works with accounts, there were previews, ratings, journals, contests, etc. All of this was mainly doki's work.

Now we come to today. There is a heap of undocumented code that pretty much only doki knows what to do with added to the basic functionality. There are hundreds of THOUSANDS users and videos - and thus rows in databases. The database model is glued together.

So, actually, the biggest problem today is that instead of your idea anything that's just a bit over the most basic changes (like changing a color or image in layout here and there, some changes on forums or basic functionality) would have to look like this:
share an idea > discuss > change > rinse repeat til it's something doki can do > DOKI ACTUALLY DOES IT

Which isn't really good approach. Doki has a life and (god forbid!) something could happen to him. Or he could just burn out and leave.

There are two options today - spend few months trying to understand the code. Or rewrite it from scratch, possibly better documented and modular, so adding new stuff is simple. And by this point, most coders would tell you that the latter one is better today.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:Quite sturdy, as dokidoki is a person too - but reliable.
wat?
Then, over time, the people and AMVs and... CHANGES came. There was implementation of forums (three times, actually - the original and two major BB ones), which changed how this site works with accounts, there were previews, ratings, journals, contests, etc. All of this was mainly doki's work.
Wait wait, although I've done various changes/improvements, you make it sound like I wrote those systems...
Previews were done by Corran. I looked into it, but I think he did a better job than I could have.
Ratings and journals and contests were originally by Phade.
Stuff that's "mine" is the donator's forum (when it existed), alerts, download queue, and antitroll measures. (FWO FWO FWO)
share an idea > discuss > change > rinse repeat til it's something doki can do > DOKI ACTUALLY DOES IT
Which isn't really good approach. Doki has a life and (god forbid!) something could happen to him. Or he could just burn out and leave.
Yeah I don't have the time I used to (looking for work for one thing), but the Twitter embedding was pretty easy. (though the border is a little messed up on members main)
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:07 am

dokidoki wrote:Yeah I don't have the time I used to (looking for work for one thing), but the Twitter embedding was pretty easy. (though the border is slightly messed up on members main)
Looks fine to me. The script is calling some CSS3 that's putting a slight curve to the edges (on div.twtr-doc) and that probably makes it look funky in some browsers, since CSS3 uniformity across browsers is still at "lol" stages.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 am

irriadin wrote:Looks fine to me. The script is calling some CSS3 that's putting a slight curve to the edges (on div.twtr-doc) and that probably makes it look funky in some browsers, since CSS3 uniformity across browsers is still at "lol" stages.
The grey that the Twitter logo is on is supposed to be darker. I got tired of looking at it when it's a minor problem. :bear:
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:28 am

dokidoki wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:Quite sturdy, as dokidoki is a person too - but reliable.
wat?
Wait wait, although I've done various changes/improvements, you make it sound like I wrote those systems...
Previews were done by Corran. I looked into it, but I think he did a better job than I could have.
Ratings and journals and contests were originally by Phade.
Stuff that's "mine" is the donator's forum (when it existed), alerts, download queue, and antitroll measures. (FWO FWO FWO)
Yeah I don't have the time I used to (looking for work for one thing), but the Twitter embedding was pretty easy. (though the border is a little messed up on members main)
Thanks for the correction and sorry for my bad wording ^^;;
I don't think I can add anything else >.>

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 pm

dokidoki wrote:
irriadin wrote:Looks fine to me. The script is calling some CSS3 that's putting a slight curve to the edges (on div.twtr-doc) and that probably makes it look funky in some browsers, since CSS3 uniformity across browsers is still at "lol" stages.
The grey that the Twitter logo is on is supposed to be darker. I got tired of looking at it when it's a minor problem. :bear:
Oh. Looks like on "#mainPageInfo div" there is a style set to apply a background-color of "#F9F9F9". That's what causing the problem.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
gote wrote:i don't get what you're saying...or...you didn't get what i was saying?
That the current code and the design over it is a mess and it can't be "easily replaced with minimal coding" ;x
I guess it was the former then :sweat:

so what needs to happen for the redesign to actually happen then, or at least just building a new "house" so we it'll be easier to evolve and adapt and change from here on out (if i understand the situation correctly now)?
Do we need to donate more?
Do we need to find and recruit new experienced coders?
Do we just need to wait for the coders we have to drop out and get laid off so they have nothing better to do?
Am i correct in thinking that lack of laborists or their time is what's stopping the Org redesign?
Do the coders have all the knowledge necessary to do most (if not all) the proposed and accepted changes?
Is there anything (aside from the obvious donating) that I can do as someone who doesn't know lickity split about coding?

are we just fooling ourselves and need to realize that the only change any of us will ever see is when this site finally shuts down?

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:17 pm

gote wrote: are we just fooling ourselves and need to realize that the only change any of us will ever see is when this site finally shuts down?

:|

There was a meeting last night.

Updates should follow soon-ish. Just need to iron out some details with the people involved. But let's just say there was insane progress made.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”