What if I just...

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
TEKnician
Org Profile

What if I just...

Post by TEKnician » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 am

Use avisynth to just remove the combing/interlacing from my .vobs, and resize to 1280 x 720 so my editor will take it as it is...
then after editing, run the completed video file back through avisynth to clean it...
then use that new OSx264GUI to shrink the file for uploading?

I mean, my newer dvds need little scripting anyways. So I can edit with decent footage, but only meticulously clean the FINISHED thing?
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: What if I just...

Post by EvaFan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 am

It's arbitrary too do post processing unless you've been handed a finished product and asked to clean it. There is no real good reason for post processing beyond that. At that point your not just cleaning your source, your also effecting your fades, masks, flashes, the whole nine yards. Things that didn't need it will receive it, better hope you really are being meticulous.

If your doing it just to speed up the process of encoding/rendering your clips/source then you should find another way. So I guess I'll answer your question with another question, why would you want to?
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Yeah, what EvaFan said. Ideally you would want to do everything pre-production, because post-production scripts can ruin your fades, effects, text... etc...

However, of you did a half decent job with your pre-production script, there should only be a few parts in your AMV that need extra filtering, which is where selective filtering comes in.

See Range() in my sig, or mirko's stRange().

I like this method because then I can apply a simple, light filterchain to my source footage, then worry about the trouble scenes afterwards where it counts-- the final AMV.

ofc, pre-production is always the better option, especially if you use a lot of effect, but this method is usually faster and less annoying than filtering each clip beforehand. And it gives you way more control compared to a blanket filterchain over your entire source footage (which usually overcompensates or undercompensates in certain scenes)
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

TEKnician
Org Profile

What if I just...

Post by TEKnician » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Okay...

Guess I'll just eat some popcorn and watch the 13fps compression skip by...

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:10 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:13fps
Boy, you haven't seen anything yet... :nono:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:26 pm

13fps is amazingly fast. Complain when it takes your system 4 days to process the source for a single video.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:13 pm

Next time before you start your rendering process, think of ways you can do it faster. Try posting your script to see if someone can come up with a way to do the same thing only faster. Split your source into sections and render two or more different avs files of the sections according to how many cores your computer has if you don't want to try an MT version of avisynth. In that speed test I did, offloading the denoising to a decent enough video card increased the performance by about 300% alone.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:42 pm

About multithreading, a way to multithread in avisynth that is actually stable and safe for quality and doesn't require different builds:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=164073
Works by giving each filter its own thread, so depending on which filters, the order they are used in, and how many there are, the benefits could be minimal or actually perceivable.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 pm

mirkosp wrote:
The_TEKnician wrote:13fps
Boy, you haven't seen anything yet... :nono:
Fairly sure I haven't :roll: lol
BasharOfTheAges wrote:13fps is amazingly fast. Complain when it takes your system 4 days to process the source for a single video.
MY preference is to encode ALL of my DVDs into a clean, usable, editable state to be used on a whim. without having to sift through them again and again and grab bits here and there over and over for every video. By that time it just gets frustrating and I lose focus. So imagine the pain i must go through for my 18 COMPLETE COLLECTIONS. And don't even get me started on my movies... :roll:
EvaFan wrote:Split your source into sections and render two or more different avs files of the sections according to how many cores your computer has if you don't want to try an MT version of avisynth. In that speed test I did, offloading the denoising to a decent enough video card increased the performance by about 300% alone.
I tried that, but I easily get my files mixed up. I like FOCUS.
mirkosp wrote:About multithreading, a way to multithread in avisynth that is actually stable and safe for quality and doesn't require different builds:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=164073
Works by giving each filter its own thread, so depending on which filters, the order they are used in, and how many there are, the benefits could be minimal or actually perceivable.
:dino: Thats pretty damn cool, dude! I have a quad core i7, too! If I weren't as lazy as I'm making myself out to be, I'd definitely use that plugin.

I guess what I'll take away from this is to ALREADY HAVE CLEAN FOOTAGE TO BEGIN WITH EVEN IF IT TAKES A FREAKIN FREAKIN LONG LONG TIME TIME TIME.

Thanks for the thoughts!

/derp

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:36 pm

mfw people talking about 4 days to do most of a series of content. I remember when it would take more than that for 20 minutes of footage and raws were 35GB :(

There is a pretty awesome patch for x264 that displays fps/fph and spf/hpf worth trying out though, even if just for fun. Gives nicer ETAs on encoding.

Return to “AviSynth Help”