Youtube link slot?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Youtube link slot?

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm totally for a better way to report dead links for removal, though, that you mentioned it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:34 am

gote wrote:I've just been seeing kariudo make those catalog entries for noobs in the announcements and they almost always lead to youtube, and then people comment like it's no big deal. Why would everyone suddenly STOP uploading? I figure it would just bring in new talent and some of those will be inclined to learn how to upload if they can stay and hang while they do it without being forced to before they get a comment on their video.

dead links...okay, but i've heard a lot here that the purpose of this site is to ARCHIVE videos, and iirc (i might not) something on the website encourages you to enter in all the work you've done with or without a download link, so is this worse than no links at all? It's still an entry, still a record, still an archive. Besides, most of the videos here are so old that most of the non-local links are dead anyway (-cough- megaupload), and nobody complains about that.

It's breaking youtube's TOS to link to their site? How? not saying it isn't, that just seems weird, i link to youtube all the damn time (in chats).

didn't know they made you a mod jaddzia, congrats :O
This sounds like a pretty valid point to me. As much as I want people to actually upload here and not just redirect to youtube, this would still be a pretty decent shot in the right direction of even just getting stuff catalogued here and encouraging people to just show up here in the first place.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:35 pm

What, I'm not allowed to have an opinion if I'm not a mod? I never said they made me a mod, I just stated my opinion. You seriously need to get over being up my ass. WTF.

I still believe my opinion stands, and yes people DO complain about all the dead links, along with people asking how to download videos that have dead links/no links. I also agree with bashar's point, just didn't feel the need to repeat it.

This discussion has been brought up before and was shot down then too.

Perhaps we should you know actually do that mythical site update, fix how we can upload, and offer the option of streaming only just as we have download only.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:Perhaps we should you know actually do that mythical site update, fix how we can upload, and offer the option of streaming only just as we have download only.
This xInfinity

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Dang, it was just cause you said "sorry, ima have to say no," really didnt expect you to get so mad over it my bad. I had no problem with your opinion, irriadin had the exact same issue and i addressed that. Again, sorry for the little quip.

Also, as far as the mythical site update, i Say instead of praying for that we should start thinking of an org redesign that could take place with minimal coding. Things like announcement previews for non-donators. If this youtube thing holds, that will be incentive to learn to upload too. Or a few forum rearrangements, idk, i see a lot of really simple things we can do to fix this site and improve it, we dont need an entirely new website in my opinion (when did they make ME a mod :ying: ) as long as the whole "org redesign will happen" mentality is around, people are just going todo exactly what you did. Instead of fixing things now, everyone will put it off for that utopian org future.

I would support the org redesign happening now, but the lack of coders argument has gotten to me and so i feel bad suggesting things that would take a lot of coding or work (since im not a coder myself) and idk if youre a coder, but i believe instead of leaving all the hard stuff to them, we need to take it on ourselves to be more creative with what we have now and think of things that need minimal to zero coding.

Or we could all learn how to code and pitch in! :P

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:59 pm

gote wrote:(...) i Say instead of praying for that we should start thinking of an org redesign that could take place with minimal coding(...)
I cannot code that well (only starting up the serious work), but I can tell you - this won't work ;>

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 pm

i don't get what you're saying...or...you didn't get what i was saying?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:22 pm

For security and stability reasons, nobody would hire a complete newbie to help code a site, even as a voulenteer.
| | |

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm saying we need to think of ideas that don't take that much coding so that the coders that do the coding work here wouldn't have to do a lot of work should they ever decide to take our suggestions.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:32 pm

No. Doing it correctly is far better in the long run than spur of the moment additions and hacks. Good design and implementation takes time. It also allows for thought-out review of suggestions rather than reactions of vocal minority viewpoints or the tyranny of the majority.
| | |

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”