Strange error , need help !

Rondelle
Org Profile

Strange error , need help !

Post by Rondelle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Well , while becoming a junkie on this comfy warm chair that now smells like my behind -
I've tried installing AMVapp , and I'm a tiny bit new , so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place ! I probably have , and I'll gladly take any recommendations on where to move this post .
My problem is that I've tried installing AMVapp , made it through , but when I got to the testing process it seems that I'm missing one file , or it can't find one file that lets it continue on doing the tests ! Unfortunately , I wasn't quick enough to capture the phase where the AMVapp is ' automatically creating d2v file . ' I think it's a good think , at least by the little bit I know , that it did go on through doing what it said for that one step , hence why I couldn't catch the media player test since it would only be on for a second or two before flashing off .
I've got lots of ScreenCaps to help as visual aid , of nearly all of the steps except for the aforementioned and the last screen of ' Did all the tests work ? ' Which I obviously , and sadly , clicked No on .
As far as my computer specs go , I'm not too sure how much it would help , but then again if I did know then I probably wouldn't be in this situation . . anyway . Here's all about my little machine here ~ .

Manufacturer : Dell
Model : N5030
Processor : Pentium (R) Dual - Core CPU T500 @ 2.3GHz
Installed memory (RAM) : 3.00 GB
System type : 64 - bit Operating System

Please forgive me , you wonderful people who have looked at this and are even considering giving a lowly noob like myself some help . ; ;
But as you can see , the problem happens over and over , and I'm quite lots , any and all advice is a definite help !

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: Strange error , need help !

Post by Pwolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Not exactly sure whats causing it but can you try something for me?

Create a text file and only have the following line in it:

version()

then save the file so that the extension is .avs (make sure you actually change the extension and it's not just in the file name). Then open that in media player classic and see what happens.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 am

You're trying to install an old version of the AMVApp that relies on a program that was removed from Windows after XP. Uninstall it, get the latest version from here and install that one.

Rondelle
Org Profile

Post by Rondelle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Pwolf wrote:Not exactly sure whats causing it but can you try something for me?

Create a text file and only have the following line in it:

version()

then save the file so that the extension is .avs (make sure you actually change the extension and it's not just in the file name). Then open that in media player classic and see what happens.
Thank you very , very much for your help !

Rondelle
Org Profile

Post by Rondelle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:36 pm

LantisEscudo wrote:You're trying to install an old version of the AMVApp that relies on a program that was removed from Windows after XP. Uninstall it, get the latest version from here and install that one.
Thank you very very much for your help ! I appreciate it a lot !
I'll try this method right away !

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:27 pm

I brought this up before but...
... I still think the old app should be archived in a different location to prevent people from installing outdated software.
I mean, the 2005 app is still the first link that comes up when you google "amv app"
This case only came up because someone needed help. How many more people are doing it wrong?
Also, if a v4.0 hypothetically comes out, all the links to v3.1 (including the one just provided) will be outdated again. And we'll run into the same problem again.

I suggest using this link for everything (all the old links seem to go there anyway)
and simply update it to include the latest app only. (or a list I suppose, as long as it's clear which one is the latest...)
That way, all the old links will go to the latest version,
New links will also go to the latest version,
and stuff like this won't ever happen again.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:48 pm

100% what phan said. This happens far too often.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Video & Audio Help”