another youtube related suggestion

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:37 pm

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 2&t=108386

how hard would it be to have youtube embedding enabled for everything BUT announcements (to avoid newbies doing that everyday). I think it would immensely help this guy's series becoming successful, and keep it on the Org instead of just commenting on youtube (which i'm always inclined to do), and it could make way for more things like this, and all those OT topics that involve youtube videos,

if chez's amviews things become successful, i dont think it would help the Org much if it were to just be on youtube. People would stumble across it, see the link, go on youtube, then just be on youtube and not go back to the Org to comment. If it's embedded, they might still just go to youtube, but i think it'll go along way to making it an Org thing thats also on youtube as opposed to a tube thing that's also on the Org.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: another youtube related suggestion

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:02 pm

That sounds great!

Also, you have just subscribed as a lifetime mod to catch all the people from YouTube who notice this and post announcements elsewhere. And you're going to answer all of them why they can't embed in Announcements ;>

(yes, that was a big sarcastic comment - but seriously, in general I think that this is bad idea. Either all or nothing ^^ And I am not sure all is a good option ^^;; )

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 pm

yeah maybe, how about mods only then, and they'll enable it themselves for things like this or if the lipflapper ever decides to use youtube or things in the future.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:01 pm

That might be taken into consideration *smiles* *god knows we need some smiling around here*

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:54 pm

It's possible with the flash bbcode, because it's one of the two (possibly three) bbcode tags that can have group and forum permissions set for it (ie. Moderators can use it in sections X, Y, and Z)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this would really help keep the conversation over here as opposed to over on the youtube video. Allowing youtube embeds would only be marginally more convenient (one tab instead of flipping between two). I'm inclined to think that the people who would actually discuss chez's amviews would do so on the thread here anyways, and that allowing embeds wouldn't really entice new people into discussing.

Can anyone else chime in on this?

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Eh. Embedded or not, I'd probably still discuss a-m-v.org related things in the actual threads.

I certainly would like it as a feature though. Not so much lip flapper at the moment, but it might make promotional and round related things with orgeditor more "clean" looking than a hyperlink. Especially if I decide to bring back round compilations like brad did for iron chef (still haven't decided for sure, but it's a possibility). I think having the you've video embedded here might make discussions of the results easier.

That being said, the onslaught of newcomers and the announcement threads having just YouTube links and no catalog entries would be painful to moderate. BUT it might also being in some new blood if the difficult upload process could be skipped.

Then again, it would suck to announce a video and have it taken down the very next day and having YouTube as the only viewable option.

Overall, there are definite benefits to it, but also a lot headaches as well. It's something that the administration would have to be willing to dedicate time to coding, as well as the current mod staff in keeping it's execution correct.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Perhaps make youtube embedding a donator-only feature? That would tie things to the org, in a way. It would also prevent new users from just blindly posting YouTube embeds.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure limiting posting embeds is good or not...

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Kariudo wrote:It's possible with the flash bbcode, because it's one of the two (possibly three) bbcode tags that can have group and forum permissions set for it (ie. Moderators can use it in sections X, Y, and Z)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this would really help keep the conversation over here as opposed to over on the youtube video. Allowing youtube embeds would only be marginally more convenient (one tab instead of flipping between two). I'm inclined to think that the people who would actually discuss chez's amviews would do so on the thread here anyways, and that allowing embeds wouldn't really entice new people into discussing.

Can anyone else chime in on this?
well, obviously people that are into the Org would stay here and go the extra couple steps to say something on the Org, but if i wanna tell chez something, i'm just gonna comment the youtube video real quick. it might not change the actions of people that have something a little more complex to say, but it'll certainly bring that convenience of just commenting to chez on the tube back to the Org. Like code said, it would keep things cleaner
CodeZTM wrote:That being said, the onslaught of newcomers and the announcement threads having just YouTube links and no catalog entries would be painful to moderate. BUT it might also being in some new blood if the difficult upload process could be skipped.

Then again, it would suck to announce a video and have it taken down the very next day and having YouTube as the only viewable option.

Overall, there are definite benefits to it, but also a lot headaches as well. It's something that the administration would have to be willing to dedicate time to coding, as well as the current mod staff in keeping it's execution correct.
this kinda proves my point a bit.this technically belongs in the other thread, but this thread is so closely related and he's already here so he might as well just leave his thoughts here instead of go back and forth.

also, what you said about discussing Org-related things here anyway, no offense but you're one of the last people they need to be catering to as i don't think they could possibly get rid of you even if they started making you hyperlink to the lipflappers themselves! :sweat: but asking Org members in the current state of the Org (really closed dedicated community) about if they would post here or youtube, especially given the slight youtube stigma this community still boasts, is gonna yield a pretty one-sided conclusion.

what it might help is people who lurk here but don't ever post. If they go to the youtube page then hallelujah they can just post there, but it being on the Org they'll be pushed to comment here and depending on their reception they'll be inclined to stay! the Org has a lot more lurkers than you'd think.

So not only would it keep Org members like me who only have little comments to post here and thereby increasing the thread size and activity, the activity and the presence of all those little meaningless "cool" comments being said here instead of youtube would make lurkers more welcome to post comments of the same, and that first post, no matter how shallow it may be, is the hardest barrier to break on new forums in my experience. after that it's way easier and less awkward to post and bada bing bada BOOM, WE GOTTA NEW MEMBAH!

i get what nya said about it after my first post though, so maybe a form of embed requesting can be done. All you'd need to do is post a link or hyperlink in your actual topic post (like usual), then message a mod with a link to your topic and a sentence or two about what it is and stuff. If it sounds good to the mod, he'll go and see if it's worthy of one or not, and if it is, he'll do it! If you don't want requests out the arse then just announce this feature stressing the fact that it's only for important Org related things, and not just cat videos or announcements. If we have a rules sticky, post it there too.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:43 pm

gote wrote:So not only would it keep Org members like me who only have little comments to post here and thereby increasing the thread size and activity, the activity and the presence of all those little meaningless "cool" comments being said here instead of youtube would make lurkers more welcome to post comments of the same, and that first post, no matter how shallow it may be, is the hardest barrier to break on new forums in my experience. after that it's way easier and less awkward to post and bada bing bada BOOM, WE GOTTA NEW MEMBAH!
I kinda find this to be something of an artificial way of increasing activity. Yeah, there may be more posts...but if they're all like "that's cool, man", I think it'd be rather meaningless. When I go through other forums, I'm looking for actual content (how to solve a problem, or semi-detailed views on a given topic). There is little more that I hate when browsing forums than wading through pages and pages of, "wow that is so cool" or, "omg I have this exact problem too, plz hlp" to get to a post that's worth reading.
gote wrote:especially given the slight youtube stigma this community still boasts
This is going a bit off topic, but this intrigues me. Maybe it's just because my posting has been steadily dropping off, but is there really still a detectable stigma?

NarutoParkZ videos aside (which will probably always be at a disadvantage due to the low signal-to-noise ratio), do people really get a bad vibe when posting a youtube link instead of a local link?

About the only case that comes to mind is when somebody makes a post in the announcements section saying, "here's the youtube link, plz sub and comment." In that case, I can see a perceived stigma because they're trying to use the org for something it's not meant to do. They want to get more hits and subs, but we want to help them improve as an editor.

If anything, I think that the positions between org editors and youtube editors have almost reversed by this point. Instead of org editors ruthlessly tearing apart every youtube editor that comes along, I think it's now more that the reputation of youtube editors generally not taking critique/suggestions too well prevents more org editors from commenting on their videos when they get posted here. I'll make that the end of my musing on the topic for now, back to the discussion at hand.
gote wrote:i get what nya said about it after my first post though, so maybe a form of embed requesting can be done.
Additionally, if it's going to be a somewhat long-running thing *cough*IC4*cough*, we (read: I) might be able to modify individual user permissions so that an embed request only needs to be done once.

I've gotta run off to class (and a midterm), so I have to cut this a bit shorter than I wanted. I can see a little benefit for stuff like IC4 and OrgEditor, but for general use...I'm still not sold on it.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:49 pm

it's not like we would be recruiting members that ONLY say that and say it often, but they might not be bold enough to say more for their first post so it's about enabling that first post and thereby having that wall broken through and new members around and welcomed so that they might add to further discussions and announcements and tell their friends or whatever. the many pages of not-so-profound replies is something that would happen with any forum or community that's booming with activity and popularity, which is kinda what we all want, right? i know we don't want to be as big as youtube or anything, but i've been hearing nonstop about how this community is dying. also, the "cool" is an exaggeration, i'm sure the type of community this place is would act as a slight filter for that and even the most shallow of responses would have a little more depth than "cool." I mean, hell, look around, it's not like every single post made here is a relevant and thoughtful one, and what would be the difference between "cool" and "x2?" so it's not like i'm only trying to add more shallow posts to the threads, ultimately i'm trying to attract more members/posters/editors/opinions/voices/friends!

i say SLIGHT youtube stigma because it's not an all-out hate war like it used to be (or so i'm told), it's just a slight anti-youtube air about the community and the Org's image of elitism that i believe is what's causing and perpetuating the beliefs that youtube editors are now holding (like you said and i agree with) but idk what that has to do with this topic.

well as long as you're going so far to enable it for ic4 and 0rgeditor (and hopefully amviews :uhoh: ) i say you might as well leave it open for others to simply REQUEST the privilege, should they ever start something as meritable as amviews or lipflapper, i don't think there's anything wrong with that even if you don't even pay attention to half the requests, or it takes more than just a request by the poster to warrant the feature.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”