Youtube link slot?

gotegenks
Org Profile

Youtube link slot?

Post by gotegenks » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:50 pm

I think "direct links" to youtube are allowed, right? so how about we make a slot labeled "youtube"

"direct", "indirect", "local", "preview", "youtube"

it would help with the whole "uploading is too hard" stuff and encourage youtube editors to upload here. A friend of mine is having issues uploading to the Org because his programs aren't working right at all so he can't get a filesize under 150 mb and he's tried to fix it but in the end he's just like "fuck it" and doesn't think it's worth it, and i can't say i'd feel any different, but with a youtube slot, link, whatever, you wouldn't feel like a scrub direct linking to youtube.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Youtube link slot?

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Youtube links, in fact, shouldn't be entered at all, since you can't really download the video from YT right there.

Also, in that moment nobody ever uploads and 95% of the videos just link to YT.

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:18 pm

(Needless to say, we can't really offer 1GB of space for every piece as YouTube does. More space? Sure, with waaaaay more donations :3 )

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Also, we'd end up with a ton of AMV's with dead links because of all the takedown requests AMV's on YouTube suffer.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 am

It's also not very proper to encourage breaking other sites terms of service like that.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:16 am

Yeah, even though I use the tubes, I'ma have to say no... I dont like the idea with ending up with a bunch of dead links, blocked links, and muted video links.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:21 am

I've just been seeing kariudo make those catalog entries for noobs in the announcements and they almost always lead to youtube, and then people comment like it's no big deal. Why would everyone suddenly STOP uploading? I figure it would just bring in new talent and some of those will be inclined to learn how to upload if they can stay and hang while they do it without being forced to before they get a comment on their video.

dead links...okay, but i've heard a lot here that the purpose of this site is to ARCHIVE videos, and iirc (i might not) something on the website encourages you to enter in all the work you've done with or without a download link, so is this worse than no links at all? It's still an entry, still a record, still an archive. Besides, most of the videos here are so old that most of the non-local links are dead anyway (-cough- megaupload), and nobody complains about that.

It's breaking youtube's TOS to link to their site? How? not saying it isn't, that just seems weird, i link to youtube all the damn time (in chats).

didn't know they made you a mod jaddzia, congrats :O

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:04 pm

gote wrote:I've just been seeing kariudo make those catalog entries for noobs in the announcements and they almost always lead to youtube, and then people comment like it's no big deal. Why would everyone suddenly STOP uploading? I figure it would just bring in new talent and some of those will be inclined to learn how to upload if they can stay and hang while they do it without being forced to before they get a comment on their video.

dead links...okay, but i've heard a lot here that the purpose of this site is to ARCHIVE videos, and iirc (i might not) something on the website encourages you to enter in all the work you've done with or without a download link, so is this worse than no links at all? It's still an entry, still a record, still an archive. Besides, most of the videos here are so old that most of the non-local links are dead anyway (-cough- megaupload), and nobody complains about that.

It's breaking youtube's TOS to link to their site? How? not saying it isn't, that just seems weird, i link to youtube all the damn time (in chats).

didn't know they made you a mod jaddzia, congrats :O
All of that sounds pretty reasonable actually. Will discuss it with other mods, can't guarantee more :<

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Not against their TOS to link, against their TOS to upload copyrighted material without the owner's approval. "everyone does it" is not a valid legal excuse.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Oh, i get it. I understand about wanting to be proper but legal excuses are out of the question here anyway, so it would only be a matter of courtesy to youtube which this decision, either way we decide, is not going to matter to anyone at google. I only see it helping them a really miniscule amount not even worth mentioning ad everyone uses youtube already, but not hurting them since theres no way in hell this site could conpete with youtube in a significant way. They probably make tons of money off of editors anyway.

Thanks nya

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”