DBZ Clean up

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Greek Prince
Org Profile

DBZ Clean up

Post by Greek Prince » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:30 am

Hey forum, it's been a while, i've had the urge to start editing dragonball z again but the Majin buu saga is not in HD, so I am trying to filter it, i've seen it done before and took snapshots of them, besides the face mine is cropped I need to know how to make my footage (On the left) look exactly or very similar to the footage to the right of it.

Smoother image, no grain darker thicker black lines etc, do you think you can help?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/ ... -1copy.jpg

The cleanup this other guy did actually turned it into HD, i'm hoping you can help me out

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: DBZ Clean up

Post by mirkosp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:33 am

I'd actually suggest you to just use Dragon Ball Kai and forget Buu, the quality difference would be too noticeable. Also, the footage on the right is horribly stretched, please mind the AR first and foremost.
Alternatively, just edit in SD, nothing bad about it.

Greek Prince
Org Profile

Post by Greek Prince » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:36 am

Oh yeas of course I never really touch the Aspect Ratio of the video, that's not what bothers me really it's just everything else, also it's more for collection purposes i'd like to have editable footage for every DBZ saga

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:46 am

Yeah, what I'm saying is that upscaling is a Bad Thing and you'll hardly get good results with SD to HD upscaling. As long as it's something like 360 to 480 to match 16:9 and 4:3 SD sources it could be okay-ish, but the jump from SD to HD is too noticeable. If you want to mix SD and HD sources that badly you *can* try to first upscale to twice the original res with nnedi3, then downscale with spline36 and crop and then see about using some sharpener (lsfmod probably is the best for all intents). Some REALLY SLIGHT line thinning could be of help, so look into awarpsharp2 BUT VERY LIGHT SETTINGS please (depth no greater than 6-8 at most).
The best thing would be to just vector up the SD scenes, but that takes an insane amount of effort, so unless it's just a few scenes or your video involves a lot of masking/weird texture effects to begin with, it's going to be a huge pain.

Enigmo
Org Profile

Post by Enigmo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Majin buu saga is not in HD
Well it's not just the Buu Saga. DragonBall Z was never HD, except just a few months ago, they were planning on re-releasing the series on Blu-Ray sets in HD, but they were dropped and only a few of the first episodes have been released in HD. But as I was saying, they were never HD. However, there was DragonBall KAI which is HD but in terms of looks, it is very different.

Now, if you want, I can help you make the original DBZ episodes HD, so upscale to 720p without losing quality. This is done by using certain filters. Below are 4 snapshots; Original DBZ, original DBZ filtered, original DBZ upscaled and original DBZ upscaled and filtered.
Spoiler :
So what I think the key process of my script is, is to upscale without the loss of quality.

But here's how I do stuff for people, I don't hand over the script to them. I let people send their video in the highest compressed quality possible, and I'll script the video and send it back to you. I've done it quite a few times for a lot of people. But yea, just hit me up if you want me to do it. But as I said, "highest compressed quality possible". So your original quality of the source can't be bad, nor can you send it to me in a badly encoded form. It has to be really good if you want efficient filtering. Hope I helped ;)

-Enigmo
Image Image

xnamkcor
Org Profile

Post by xnamkcor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:24 pm

EnIgMoZz2 wrote:
Majin buu saga is not in HD
Well it's not just the Buu Saga. DragonBall Z was never HD, except just a few months ago, they were planning on re-releasing the series on Blu-Ray sets in HD, but they were dropped and only a few of the first episodes have been released in HD. But as I was saying, they were never HD. However, there was DragonBall KAI which is HD but in terms of looks, it is very different.

Now, if you want, I can help you make the original DBZ episodes HD, so upscale to 720p without losing quality. This is done by using certain filters. Below are 4 snapshots; Original DBZ, original DBZ filtered, original DBZ upscaled and original DBZ upscaled and filtered.
Spoiler :
So what I think the key process of my script is, is to upscale without the loss of quality.

But here's how I do stuff for people, I don't hand over the script to them. I let people send their video in the highest compressed quality possible, and I'll script the video and send it back to you. I've done it quite a few times for a lot of people. But yea, just hit me up if you want me to do it. But as I said, "highest compressed quality possible". So your original quality of the source can't be bad, nor can you send it to me in a badly encoded form. It has to be really good if you want efficient filtering. Hope I helped ;)

-Enigmo
When two lines intersect, it seems that the filtering decides to make them into a blob.
WE DRAMATIZE IT COMPLETELY!

Enigmo
Org Profile

Post by Enigmo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:13 pm

xnamkcor wrote: When two lines intersect, it seems that the filtering decides to make them into a blob.

Yes but that also sometimes depends on the source. Also, it is very hard to recognise these 'blobs' when the video is playing back at an average framerate.
Image Image

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:16 pm

Please use lower values on your warpsharpening filters if you don't want this to happen:

Enigmo
Org Profile

Post by Enigmo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:42 pm

I use aWarpsharp. So the only controls I have are 'depth' and 'blurlevel'. However, I think 'threshold' is also included but in my script, I never use it. Also, the maximum value for 'depth' with aWarpsharp is 64 I believe. In my small preview up there, I did: aWarpSharp(depth = 30, blurlevel = 2)
Image Image

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 am

Yeah, depth 30 is insanely high still. You should only ever use up to about 8 at most, as I said earlier. Further than that, and it easily starts to distort the lines, as it can already be seen in intersection points in your screen. It is visible in motion too and, furthermore, since it is not constant between frames, it makes the lines wobbly as well.

Return to “AviSynth Help”