AMV Spotlight

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

AMV Spotlight

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Mostly a repost from another thread:

One thing I always thought is that while the AMV Spotlight and the highly rated thing is nice it usually just rotates every week between the same batch of videos over and over. It'd be nice if we could feature newer things more often and it would give a greater incentive for people to come here and post their videos if they were more likely to get featured on the home page and help viewers see fresh content.

Cause really right now all I ever see on the highly rated is usually Random Nostromo video, This is Halloween, Blame It On 2009, Confessions to the Dance Floor, Sometimes an AMV Hell, Around the World, and then the list rounds off with something from Koopiskeva like skittles or Chiikaboom like Attack of the Otaku. While these are all great videos and editors, it'd be nice to have a little more variety and add some spice to things by keeping things fresh and giving people a reason to keep coming back for new stuff.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: AMV Spotlight

Post by ngsilver » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:00 pm

I have a pretty comprehensive list of good videos both new and old. the only problem with using this list is it's size, though that could be a good thing. Taking into account just the last few years, there is about 400 or so videos on this list, and that isn't including pre 2005 stuff....

Though it would be kind of cool to have a random spotlight pool that large where you would generally never see the same video twice in a short amount of time.
ImageImageImageImage

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:05 pm

That's cuz the same videos keep getting highly rated week after week :p

Trying to track frequent fliers on top of the top star rating page sounds messy, and way more work than is needed for just the AMV Spotlight imo. What if we only considered the more recent videos, say those made in the past 6 months, for the spotlight?

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:02 am

what if someone volunteered to pick one video a week from the front page of the announcements to highlight? or like 5 that would randomly change for that week and then the next week pick another 5.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 am

Kariudo wrote:That's cuz the same videos keep getting highly rated week after week :p

Trying to track frequent fliers on top of the top star rating page sounds messy, and way more work than is needed for just the AMV Spotlight imo. What if we only considered the more recent videos, say those made in the past 6 months, for the spotlight?
I think that would be a good start. Having a couple different parameters a la deviantart's selective dropdowns would be even better, if we could work that into the redesign. That way we could offer, say "Top-rated AMV's from the past - 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, all time" etc.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:52 pm

irriadin wrote:Having a couple different parameters a la deviantart's selective dropdowns would be even better, if we could work that into the redesign. That way we could offer, say "Top-rated AMV's from the past - 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, all time" etc.
This. Although I think the default should be something like 3 months, and only donators get the feature to toggle it into different intervals maybe.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:23 pm

gote wrote:what if someone volunteered to pick one video a week from the front page of the announcements to highlight? or like 5 that would randomly change for that week and then the next week pick another 5.
That'd probably keep quality pretty good, and give us a better spread, yeah. Implementation concerns aside, automated solutions are preferred.
Shin-AMV wrote:
irriadin wrote:Having a couple different parameters a la deviantart's selective dropdowns would be even better, if we could work that into the redesign. That way we could offer, say "Top-rated AMV's from the past - 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, all time" etc.
This. Although I think the default should be something like 3 months, and only donators get the feature to toggle it into different intervals maybe.
The problem with that is that the pickings get pretty slim if we set the limit too low. For a general idea of the pool that we'll have to work with, head over to the top 10% page for the past 3 months.

The way the spotlight works is this:
-check the weekly star ratings, set the initial range to 10
-randomly choose 1 of the top 10 videos in that list
-if the video can't be streamed (for one reason or another), or is over 10 minutes long, pick again
-every 20 times we fail to get a streamable video, increase the video range by 10 (up to a range of 50)
-after 100 tries, just stream a predetermined fail-safe video

At 3 months (given our current level of activity), we're getting pretty close to not being able to fill our initial range. That means we'd be close to dipping into videos with average star ratings of less than 3. 3 months may be fine, as there will probably be more "highly rated" videos than not "highly rated". Anything less than that, and I fear that "highly rated" videos will fall to the minority.

Of course...that all depends on the level of site activity.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Kariudo wrote:The problem with that is that the pickings get pretty slim if we set the limit too low. For a general idea of the pool that we'll have to work with, head over to the top 10% page for the past 3 months.

The way the spotlight works is this:
-check the weekly star ratings, set the initial range to 10
-randomly choose 1 of the top 10 videos in that list
-if the video can't be streamed (for one reason or another), or is over 10 minutes long, pick again
-every 20 times we fail to get a streamable video, increase the video range by 10 (up to a range of 50)
-after 100 tries, just stream a predetermined fail-safe video

At 3 months (given our current level of activity), we're getting pretty close to not being able to fill our initial range. That means we'd be close to dipping into videos with average star ratings of less than 3. 3 months may be fine, as there will probably be more "highly rated" videos than not "highly rated". Anything less than that, and I fear that "highly rated" videos will fall to the minority.

Of course...that all depends on the level of site activity.
So the star rating is what determines the spotlight, or is it review rating? The top 10% shows weighted review scores, not star ratings...

Well, it seems like setting the range at anything below 3 months isn't going to give us a large enough pool of good videos. Maybe make the default the past 6 months, allowing for the option to set it to 3 months, 1 year or "all time." The important thing, I think, is to ensure that newer videos get highlighted, rather than "Tainted Donuts" or "Skittles" for the umpteenth billion time.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Yes, the spotlight works on star ratings, not op scores.

I just used the top 10% as a quick and dirty measure to gauge what videos would likely be in the spotlight pool.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:25 pm

I suppose with the current level of activity, 6 months would probably be the best compromise to feature newer and still high quality stuff. In time though, I'm hoping the activity level would increase enough so that 3 months or less would still show a pretty sexy batch of videos.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”