Anime Central 2012

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
JoshMedin
Org Profile

Anime Central 2012

Post by JoshMedin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:12 am

Howdy, y'all.

I'm the head of Video Programming for Anime Central.

This year, for the first time in my tenure, the entire AMV department has been-- very abruptly-- folded into my department. (Normally, I just deal with screening actual anime titles.)

I'm new to this, and the previous people who ran the department aren't available to me, so whatever we do this year is going to be thrown together a bit later. I need to decide what my priorities are, too. I want to work with the creators to showcase your skills as best I can, but I'm new to the community of AMV creators.

I'm certainly eager to take submissions for AMVs, and I'd like to hear from you about the issue of a contest-- I have almost no time to throw one together, and if it comes down to it, it would be much easier for me to just show submissions and ones that we've already had submitted from previous years. But if you tell me that a contest is necessary, I'll see what I can do.

So, what would you like us to do at Acen this year?

(PMs aside, I can also be reached via email at videoprogramming-departmenthead@acen.org, if you have questions or submissions.)
Come out and see us at Anime Central!
Email: videoprogramming-departmenthead@acen.org

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2012

Post by Pwolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 am

Honestly, the way things have been going, you should just not worry about it. I think AMVs at Acen are dead until the people who actually run the con start to give a shit about us again.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:44 am

Acen used to be a convention where AMV editors from all over the world would meet up at, watch videos, and enjoy each other's amazing company. It was my first AMV convention.

Now it's this. Acen has been making it more and more clear every year that they could give a fuck less about AMVs and the editors and now this is just the cherry on top.

I sincerely hope that one day they'll pull their heads out of their asses and support AMVs like they should.

Until then....
I have a sad.

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:05 am

I went to ACen in 2008. 2009? The convention was ok, but I met some really cool people who showed me a really good time. I wouldn't have been there if it weren't for AMVs.

No contest for a con that big is pretty sad but... having a bad contest might be even worse. It reflects poorly on the convention as a whole. Then again what's a convention without an AMV contest? Not one I'd want to go to.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:11 am

Bummer, I was planning on sending this year.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:42 am

meleechampion wrote:No contest for a con that big is pretty sad but... having a bad contest might be even worse. It reflects poorly on the convention as a whole.
I was thinking that if you forgo having a contest this year, the outcry from the attendees at the feedback panels and on the forum SHOULD be enough to convince senior management of the importance of having one, so that you get enough time and support to do one properly next year.

... Unless the fans also don't care, that is.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Wow ... truly pathetic. Even small cons like Anime Iowa have a contest and a few panels. :uhoh:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:59 am

Wow, total collapse of a department..

Ironically I was even asked by someone to run it, however I already got my glass full of AMV rooms and I use to know a few people who "were" a part of ACEN in higher positions and they said the political climate there is quite intense...

Too bad really, such a large con too…

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

JoshMedin
Org Profile

Post by JoshMedin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 am

Hey, I'd like to do a better job.

This all got dropped in my lap a few days ago, and I'd like to do what I can to make things better. That's why I'm asking-- what can I do?

And "the people who run the con" does include, y'know, me. It's just that until now, I've only run the video rooms.
Come out and see us at Anime Central!
Email: videoprogramming-departmenthead@acen.org

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:35 am

Well.. I know the feeling all too well, I use to run programming at Sci-Fi & Anime cons for 15 past years+

Good luck to you and if there are more people at ACEN that just care about giving the best to fandon and what they want instead of all the politics and self motives, the more power to them.

If your really are serious about trying to bring back AMVs for the benefit of the fans, let me know and I'll see what I can do about some recommended play lists

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Return to “Anime Conventions”