Beginner help for Final Cut Pro 10

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
arjemma
Org Profile

Post by arjemma » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 am

Hi guys!

I have been making videos with Sony Vegas in a few years now, and I love it. I just bought a Mac though, and decided to move on from Windows. I bought Final Cut Pro 10, and it's completely different from what I am used to.
In Vegas I used the trimmer a lot, to extract the scenes and then add them to the timeline.

So I'm a complete noob when it comes to Final Cut Pro.
Hopefully someone can link me a great beginner tutorial or lend me some useful tricks.

• Is there anything similar to Vegas trimmer in FCP?
• Can you trim down the length of the project while working on it?
• Is there a way to just export a selected range?

Like I said, I'm a complete noob haha. Moving from Sony Vegas to Final Cut Pro was harder than I thought.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Re: Beginner help for Final Cut Pro 10

Post by TEKnician » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Alrighty, I'll give it a shot... :wink:
arjemma wrote:• Is there anything similar to Vegas trimmer in FCP?
What in bloody hell is the Vegas trimmer? :book:

moving on...
arjemma wrote:• Can you trim down the length of the project while working on it?
No...at least not to my knowledge or the method you are thinking of. The project will end only when there is nothing in the timeline. You may fill the end with a blank gap to extend the video, but once there is nothing in it, the video clip ends.
arjemma wrote:• Is there a way to just export a selected range?
No...at least not "in-house". If you use its companion Compressor 4 program, you can do it separately.

Hmm...guess that does it for now! :mrgreen: Ask more questions, i'll try to give you some answers
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

arjemma
Org Profile

Post by arjemma » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:20 am

Haha it's an awesome tool. I just discovered that you could to the same in FCP so I'm all good.

Thank you so much for answers! I have got some new questions for you.

• Is it possible to make crossovers? Like make two clips fade into each other? (this is a dummy question, of course it's possible, right?)
• In that case, can you only do it with transitions?
• Can you enter the exact dimensions of a projects?

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:27 pm

arjemma wrote:• Is it possible to make crossovers? Like make two clips fade into each other? (this is a dummy question, of course it's possible, right?)
Crossovers? Fading one clip into another?! :shock: WITCHCRAFT, I SAY! THE DEVILS HANDIWORK! MAY THE HAND OF JESUS CHRIST BACK HAND SLAP YOU TO THE FEIRY DEPTHS OF HELL YOU BLOOD-SUCKING DEMON! :evil:

:|
Spoiler :
yes, you can :mrgreen:
arjemma wrote:• In that case, can you only do it with transitions?
Nope! The illusion can be recreated other ways. If you are familiar with key framing, you can set a start keyframe to a custom opacity via inspector and specify another keyframe at a different setting so you don't have to waste space for a transition effect. You can also stack your clips on top of each other and just fade in a clip over the bottom one. you can even use color blending options.
arjemma wrote:• Can you enter the exact dimensions of a projects?
*sigh* no...kinda sucks. :cry: FCPX was intended for camera footage which has pretty standard resolutions and aspect ratios and frame rates and blabbity blabbity bleh. Yeah, there will be a "custom" option, but thats just lies...LIES I TELLZ YA!! I stick with the 720x480 dv anamorphic at 29.97p fps because i don't own a single blu-ray. If you're savvy with vdub to upscale footage to match footage you ripped from blu-rays then you can just use the preset 720 HD or hell, do 1080 if you want!.

Ahhh...it nice to see fellow Apple trees in this here Garden of AMVs :bear:

arjemma
Org Profile

Post by arjemma » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Thank you so much for the tips!
I'm gonna try to learn Adobe Premiere instead, or install Vegas using parallels. Not sure yet.

FCP just don't have what I'm looking for.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:42 pm

arjemma wrote:Thank you so much for the tips!
I'm gonna try to learn Adobe Premiere instead, or install Vegas using parallels. Not sure yet.

FCP just don't have what I'm looking for.
I would HIGHLY SUGGEST the Premiere program other than running Vegas through parallels. The less money and space used up, the better. Plus, you have the options to fuse After Effects easily later on (if and when you get that good).

Aw well, i'll stick with my FCPX out of moral obligation.

Happy editing!

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:57 am

TEKnician wrote:
arjemma wrote:• Is there a way to just export a selected range?
No...at least not "in-house". If you use its companion Compressor 4 program, you can do it separately.

Hmm...guess that does it for now! :mrgreen: Ask more questions, i'll try to give you some answers
I just felt the need to correct this, because you can.
Press i (for in) and o (for out) on the timeline.

Cheers :ying:

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:38 am

Is there some sort of rule that says you can't run AE on content out of Vegas? It's slightly more annoying but far from impossible. Most of the crazier AE users I know deal with short frame clips rather than complete videos even. Also, using Parallels is often a good idea if anything for memory separation. I always run AVS in it just to ensure I don't corrupt anything in OSX itself when AVS chucks a wobbly.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:28 pm

[EDIT: Deleted]

Return to “Mac Software”