What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Haar119
Org Profile

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Post by Haar119 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Taite wrote: This is where you lost me though. I'm not really into the whole terms or anything, so why does otaku fit with shut ins? And what's a shut in? o_O Is it literally a person who is shut in, like inside their home? And even moreso, how are org people shut ins? I'm genuinely serious because I don't know these terms.
Yes. A shut in is the same thing as a hermit. For the most part, the Japanese assume that most otaku stay inside their houses all day doing nothing productive whatsoever. When I say that some org members are potentially like this, I simply mean that this is a very time consuming hobby that requires a lot of dedication, much like the typical Japanese Otaku's dedication to anime. I didn't mean anything was particularly wrong or immoral with being dedicated to a hobby. Rather, I just thought that a good amount of dedication was required for a hobby like this.

Anyway, the reason otaku became such a negative word is probably due to this guy

Additional information here, if you're still curious about the otaku comment
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm

HaarTheDragonlord wrote: Yes. A shut in is the same thing as a hermit. For the most part, the Japanese assume that most otaku stay inside their houses all day doing nothing productive whatsoever. When I say that some org members are potentially like this, I simply mean that this is a very time consuming hobby that requires a lot of dedication, much like the typical Japanese Otaku's dedication to anime. I didn't mean anything was particularly wrong or immoral with being dedicated to a hobby. Rather, I just thought that a good amount of dedication was required for a hobby like this.

Anyway, the reason otaku became such a negative word is probably due to this guy

Additional information here, if you're still curious about the otaku comment
Wow, interesting article on the otaku murderer, that's insane. Good read, ha. And thanks for the clarification, I take your point.

I understand the japanese have different reasons for disliking otakus. In America, it most certainly isn't for the same reasons, but rather because: they're fanatical, annoying, immature, and delusional. And I'm not saying this to be mean, but it's simply what the average joe thinks when given the term.

Me, I don't consider myself an otaku because that'd be hypocritical, as I hate otakus as well. Or at least, I hate people who claim they are otakus like it's some amazing thing. I could care less about a person who really is fanatical and immature about anime, they'd just be different. But when you go out of your way to say "I'm an otaku! I've seen 900 anime, and I love this character and blahblah" then I consider you part of the scum of the earth. And it really does happen.

And secondly, I'm not a shut in either. Nothing wrong with being one, like you said, it's just dedication. I'm probably one of the least dedicated in this forum though. I pull amvs out of my ass in hours whenever I'm bored, and then I simply go on my way again. I seriously admire people who can put in more than a day of work into an amv, because it's likely going to be better than anything I ever make. But I simply can't do that, I can't just sit in one spot for more than a few hours. I've learned to deal with it because of school, but to do any more when I have free time is a waste of life. Unless there are weekends like these where the weather outside is crappy and there's nothing to do; I see nothing wrong with chilling on the computer.

Also, I completely realize all of what I'm saying is controversial and not completely true, it's just my opinion. But people who take the time to classify people who watch anime and call them otakus, that makes me a bit angry. I have completely different reasons for watching anime, and I certainly don't make more out of it like these people do. I won't delve into it though, as I realize I said some harsh things haha.
Image Image

Haar119
Org Profile

Post by Haar119 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Taite wrote: Me, I don't consider myself an otaku because that'd be hypocritical, as I hate otakus as well. Or at least, I hate people who claim they are otakus like it's some amazing thing. I could care less about a person who really is fanatical and immature about anime, they'd just be different. But when you go out of your way to say "I'm an otaku! I've seen 900 anime, and I love this character and blahblah" then I consider you part of the scum of the earth. And it really does happen.
I know what you mean. I know quite a few people like this in real life, actually. Of course, it's sort of funny because they're usually lying and are really quite stupid. Though, I think that the people who say these sorts of things are a bit closer to being Wapanese than an otaku. Seriously though, I get what you're saying, but aren't there a lot worse things that a person could be doing? I'd rather have some idiot be obsessed with anime than have him murdering the innocent and desecrating the corpses or something. That's not to say that I like these people's actions, of course.
Taite wrote: Also, I completely realize all of what I'm saying is controversial and not completely true, it's just my opinion. But people who take the time to classify people who watch anime and call them otakus, that makes me a bit angry. I have completely different reasons for watching anime, and I certainly don't make more out of it like these people do. I won't delve into it though, as I realize I said some harsh things haha.
Exactly how is that harsher than anything else written on this site? I've seen MUCH worse things than what you've said here today and I mostly agree with most of what you're saying...

and of course, now it's shameless unrelated self promotion time
Taite wrote:I seriously admire people who can put in more than a day of work into an amv, because it's likely going to be better than anything I ever make. But I simply can't do that, I can't just sit in one spot for more than a few hours
I've been working on an AMV Hell clone for the past 7 months due to some unhealthy perfectionist tendencies I have.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:59 pm

HaarTheDragonlord wrote: I know what you mean. I know quite a few people like this in real life, actually. Of course, it's sort of funny because they're usually lying and are really quite stupid. Though, I think that the people who say these sorts of things are a bit closer to being Wapanese than an otaku. Seriously though, I get what you're saying, but aren't there a lot worse things that a person could be doing? I'd rather have some idiot be obsessed with anime than have him murdering the innocent and desecrating the corpses or something. That's not to say that I like these people's actions, of course.
Hahaha yeah wapanese, I guess that's a good term as well. I always considered otaku in the same category though, but no matter the name, I can't stand those people.
And oh of course. But like how homo-phobics see homosexuals as the scum of the earth, I see otakus/wapanese as the scum of the earth. Well, not completely, obviously there are much worse things, but I'm a bit flawed in that I really just can't tolerate them and put them in the same category as much worse things.
HaarTheDragonlord wrote:Exactly how is that harsher than anything else written on this site? I've seen MUCH worse things than what you've said here today and I mostly agree with most of what you're saying...
Really? I haven't seen that many controversial posts. I think defaming a majority of this website's users is much worse than giving somebody bad criticism on their videos, if that's what you're talking about.
HaarTheDragonlord wrote:and of course, now it's shameless unrelated self promotion time
I've been working on an AMV Hell clone for the past 7 months due to some unhealthy perfectionist tendencies I have.
Now that's basically unfathomable to me. I'm a perfectionist as well, even though I spend so little time on my amvs. But spending more than a day's worth of time on one amv, let alone 7 months, I could never do it.
Image Image

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 pm

I think there should be a "Type C" where the person doesn't even watch the anime for the characters or the plot. But, rather, they watch it to find some good footage for their next AMV or video.

Personally, I'd fall under that type because I don't really like watching anime anymore once I started editing them. xD Sure, I'll watch the occasional "Death Note" or "Code Geass", but, overall, I haven't really been watching much anime. I've just been editing them :P

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 pm

lloyd9988 wrote:I think there should be a "Type C" where the person doesn't even watch the anime for the characters or the plot. But, rather, they watch it to find some good footage for their next AMV or video.
:up:

I never thought I'd find so much dynamic movement in "The World God Only Knows". Despite my A-ness (lol, BTW) i'm liking it a LOT.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:31 pm

I don't want anything to do with your 'Anes'
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Narutofan12345
Org Profile

Post by Narutofan12345 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Just a Naruto fanboy.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:33 am

The_TEKnician wrote:I never thought I'd find so much dynamic movement in "The World God Only Knows". Despite my A-ness (lol, BTW) i'm liking it a LOT.
Think they'll make a season 3 or just blow it off due to lack of funding??

Honestly, its a good series but since they're so many pirates on the internet, I hear they may not make a season three for TWGOK, or, at the very least, its going to take them longer because there's not much financial support from the fans.

Haar119
Org Profile

Post by Haar119 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Taite wrote: Really? I haven't seen that many controversial posts. I think defaming a majority of this website's users is much worse than giving somebody bad criticism on their videos, if that's what you're talking about.
I've seen more than just bad criticism on this forum. Of course, it's usually just the flaming of people who ask painfully obvious questions and obvious trolls, so I see your point. Perhaps my phrasing was a crude, over the top exaggeration. Please forgive me for the misunderstanding.

Return to “General Anime”