Xilisoft DVD Ripper

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Xilisoft DVD Ripper

Postby shiromeniirukanjou » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Hello, all. I have heard much of a program called DVD Fab being the ripper of choice; but before I knew this I had already purchased a ripper from a company called Xilioft, and my question now is if this is a suitable program to rip DVD for good quality. It was a little expensive, so I was just hoping it could still be a good program to use. (The preview window doesn't work though, at least on my computer o_O)
And on that note, I'm not quite sure as to what profile to rip DVDs in...MP4? AVI? Something else?

Thank you for reading. :)
shiromeniirukanjou

Re: Xilisoft DVD Ripper

Postby mirkosp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:25 pm

I have heard the name before but I have no experience with the program, so I can be of little help. You'll have to figure out the way around your software with external guides, possibly there will be something on the official site. But as far as formats go, you would want to rip as VOB without re-encoding and just Read ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides Lovingly Overhauled Largely by Zarxrax afterwards.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby shiromeniirukanjou » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Ok, cool, thank you for your input.
This Xilisoft ripper doesn't list VOB as a format, but it does list DVD-Video as a choice. Would that be a similar option?
shiromeniirukanjou

Postby mirkosp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:16 pm

It might be, I'm not sure. Basically, what you should try to do is get the files on the dvd out of it without re-encoding them.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby SuijinReflx » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:21 am

I've used used Xilisoft and for ripping DVDs its pretty much the same as DVDfab, Xilisoft however may have some problems such as frame rate confusion. If you set the frame rate to defalt it could go as high as 300fps and i have no idea why that occurs.
Mizu
SuijinReflx

Postby Mister Hatt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:34 am

If you rip it properly, framerate is completely irrelevant anyway.
Mister Hatt

Postby shiromeniirukanjou » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Cool, thank you all very much! ^^
shiromeniirukanjou

Postby shiromeniirukanjou » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Eake4 wrote:I've used used Xilisoft and for ripping DVDs its pretty much the same as DVDfab, Xilisoft however may have some problems such as frame rate confusion. If you set the frame rate to defalt it could go as high as 300fps and i have no idea why that occurs.

So, when you used it, what profile did you rip your footage in?
shiromeniirukanjou

Postby SuijinReflx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:33 am

I actually didnt rip my footage into Lossless such as lagarith or UTvideo instead i was just testing with WMV. Use defalt bitrate and decide which aspect ratio you want, everything else is pretty much already set unless you want to change some things such as frame size.
Mizu
SuijinReflx

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am

If you're ripping it and getting anything other than a vob, you're doing more than just ripping it.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Mister Hatt » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 am

You shouldn't be touching AR or framerate, at all. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about this. You want a DIRECT copy of the VOB cells that you require and nothing else. There are times when you may want to handle RFF and such things differently but that shouldn't be done when ripping anyway and I don't think any AMVer would actually know what to do with that anyway.
Mister Hatt

Postby SuijinReflx » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:32 am

Actually you cant select "Defalt" for framerate, its either 29.97 or Defalt (120fps) there is absolutely no defalt option in AR unless he is using a different version which I am unaware of. There are so few options in Xilisoft but the most important ones are there. Btw you also cant choose a default framesize which is just a pain (must select one of the ones already set for you and theres about 5 differnt frame sizes =.=)
Mizu
SuijinReflx

Postby Mister Hatt » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:03 am

If there are options, you're doing it wrong. You don't want program defaults, you want the program to not do anything at all other than directly copy the decrypted muxed bitstream from the medium to your HDD.
Mister Hatt

Return to Footage Help