Running A New Comp But Having Trouble

EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: Running A New Comp But Having Trouble

Post by EvaFan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Discourage it all you want, I'm lovin the 64bit and MT and I'm betting most ppl would too if they tried it. 8-)
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:26 pm

They wouldn't if they could tell the difference in the stability with scripts long a few hundred lines and the output quality in frames that have been hand filtered through masks. Which is what I usually am doing.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:49 pm

So, in other words, shit so far beyond the scope of what anyone here that would take your advice even needs to worry about.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Actually not necessarily. Automatic ivtc is very badly hit by mt, and it is the most easy and common thing you all do. Quality also hits hard on most filters you guys use because you just use them on the whole source, so MT is even more of a problem for you than it is for me. Any spatiotemporal filtering is going to be hell in MT if you actually care about the source.
If you don't want problems with mt you should be loading and do nothing else at all. At that point, you don't need MT anymore.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Do you have any comparison scripts to run? Using the MT modes correctly with all of those things (per the documentation) seems to fix most of the things you mentioned for me.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Ya, its so much of a problem that it does everything I want and plenty faster. :beer:

For reference, I don't have any problems what so ever using the 64bit fft3dfilter both spatially and temporally. I might try to do a frame by frame comparison using the same settings with 32bit and 64bit just to see the differences. If there are any differences, I'm guessing I'd have to zoom the image just to notice them and with the video in play not notice them at all ASSUMING there are differences.

I don't mean to be mean mirk but you say you havent even used MT or 64bit so what are your grounds for these things you say about it? From other people on the internet?
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:27 pm

See the problem lies where the documentation suggests you to run things out of mt or in a single thread mt mode. It's going to be slower than with single threaded avisynth (the comparison is somewhere on doom9). Add to this that some of the more important filters are internally multithreaded to begin with (ie: masktools, mvtools) so they work MT with a single threaded avisynth, and some of the slower yet good filters (fft3dfilter, tnlmeans) have gpu alternative versions which are hella faster (fft3dgpu, nlmeanscl) and provide similar/identical output in much less time.

EDIT: I have extensively tried MT in the past and reverted back to single threaded. Haven't tried 64bit, which is what I don't really have much ground aside from people on the Internet and facts (lack of dlls which I need).

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:12 pm

MT aside, I personally think the use of 64 bit should be done with caution. The 64bit build is more or less a hack done by a single developer outside of the main project. It is not stable and no one should assume it is. That said, if it works for what you need, then by all means use it. I use it from time to time but I know the limitations and issues that may come up during use and I know how to work around them.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Hardware:
AMD1090T BE 3.2ghz OC to 4.0ghz x6
2x Radeon 6870 in crossfire

I didn't honestly care enough to take frame by frame comparisons... I looked them over myself and didn't see any change at all really.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Order from top to bottom is:
Speed32bitfft3dfilternotgpu.png
Speed32bitncpu6.png
Speed32bit.png (used fft3dgpu to offload from cpu)
Speed64bitMT.png

since I forgot

Return to “Video & Audio Help”