Anime Sushi AMV Contest at MegaCon

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
SushiBoyJared
Org Profile

Anime Sushi AMV Contest at MegaCon

Post by SushiBoyJared » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:55 pm

The AMV Contest returns once again to MegaConvention in Orlando, FL.

Contest Day: Sunday, February 19th
Deadline: Sunday, February 5th
Formats: Quicktime, Mpeg4, Mpeg2, Mpeg1, AVI (specific format instructions below)
Who can enter: Anyone
Prize for winning: Something good from our friendly donating companies, bragging rights, etc.
Contact: Jared, email at amv@animesushi.org, or at sushiamv@gmail.com
Do I need to read the rest of the rules?: Absolutely, you need to keep reading because there are quite a few things you need to be aware of if you want your video to actually qualify for the contest.

Check out the site for more details and rules: http://www.animesushi.com/smf/index.php?topic=4918

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Anime Sushi AMV Contest at MegaCon

Post by Scintilla » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:30 pm

• You mention the preferred resolution and audio sample rate, but are there any restrictions on frame rate?
  • For MPEG-1/-2 files, are both interlaced and progressive acceptable?
  • For MPEG-2 files, is 23.976fps with the "3:2 pulldown upon playback" flag acceptable?
  • For MPEG-2 files, is the anamorphic 16:9 flag acceptable, or should we encode a widescreen AMV as 4:3 letterboxed?
  • The Rules wrote:Try to keep your source footage at it's original size, and use the highest quality footage available (like, DVD rips, for instance).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:59 am

Angryflower loses grammar nazi points for overlooking its use as a contraction for "it has." Also, it's really awkward using "its" as a pronoun for "it's.".. really, really awkward.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:40 am

Warlike Swans wrote:Angryflower loses grammar nazi points for overlooking its use as a contraction for "it has." Also, it's really awkward using "its" as a pronoun for "it's.".. really, really awkward.
An earlier version of the comic did in fact have an asterisk including the "it has" option (found a copy here). I don't know why Notley changed that...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

SushiBoyJared
Org Profile

Post by SushiBoyJared » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:30 am

Scintilla wrote:
  • You mention the preferred resolution and audio sample rate, but are there any restrictions on frame rate?
  • For MPEG-1/-2 files, are both interlaced and progressive acceptable?
  • For MPEG-2 files, is 23.976fps with the "3:2 pulldown upon playback" flag acceptable?
  • For MPEG-2 files, is the anamorphic 16:9 flag acceptable, or should we encode a widescreen AMV as 4:3 letterboxed?
No matter what I am sent, it all gets stuffed into a DVD sausage - take that into consideration. Make it progressive, don't feel like de-interlacing your old DVD footage, and anyway, who the hell submits an interlaced video digitally? Frame rate is no big deal, but I will probably shove it all down to 29.97, so if you're worried that your video will look janky given my conversion, give it to me at that rate. I'm not playing it back off of an MPEG playback card or anything, so bear that in mind.

I get so many different formats that I end up having to make compromises in the content each year, but it is safe to send 16:9, as I prefer to have a timeline in 16:9. Think about it logically, though, like if you were running a contest - if you get some 16:9, some 4:3, what do you do? Hint: The answer is that you don't try to shoehorn 4:3 footage into 16:9 frame, you shoehorn 16:9 into 4:3.

Also, correcting the grammar of posted contest rules does not ingratiate you to judges. For the record, nowhere in the rules does it say your video will be judged independently of estimations of your politeness. :nono:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 pm

You seem to be under the assumption that scintilla actually submits videos to all the contests he calls out for incomplete or poorly thought out rules. :lol:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “AMV Contests”