Local Download Oddity

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Local Download Oddity

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Ran into a funny problem today. I usually wait until I have quite a few videos to download before I actually decide to get them, which results in me having 20+ pending stars typically, except this time was different.

The .org put videos in my pending stars before I even downloaded them. All I did was click the Local link, and then the normal Save As pop-up came onscreen. I ignored it and kept clicking through the rest of the videos, but when I got over ten, it said I had too many star ratings that I needed to fill in, even though I hadn't actually downloaded anything yet.

Is it a bug in the site, or should I be looking to change an internal setting?

Thanks.

- Jen

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Local Download Oddity

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:01 am

If you use firefox, it starts downloading in some sort of cache or something even before you click on yes. You'll notice this is true, because if you try to keep a very big file on the save as pop-up for a while, and then give it the ok, the download won't start from 0% but from a good point already. I assume by the time you got to other videos, 10 already were done downloading like that.

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:12 am

Okay, I know what you're talking about. I did notice that in the past, but it has never given me a problem on the .org until now. I'm wondering if it has something to do with this computer. My laptop died a couple of months ago, and so I had to switch, but I kept the same installation .exe for Firefox, so it should have been the same as the laptop - unless there's some default setting that I did or didn't mess with this time around.

So I'm guessing it's not a problem on the site's end, then. Just weirdness with me?

Thanks anyway, mirkosp. If anybody knows a setting I can adjust to fix this, that would be awesome.

- Jen

PS: Possible donator's perk? Unlimited pending stars? Just a thought.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Well, rather than the Local link, you could put all of the videos into the Org's provided download queue and then do a mass download from there when you are ready.

You can also consider using DownloadThemAll to cache and manage all of the downloading with just one click per video. It works very well with Firefox (I have it installed on mine) and has really made multi-downloading much easier to handle. ;)
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:35 pm

The most you can trick the queue into doing at once is around 15 or so videos, and even then it's a bit hack-y.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:45 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:The most you can trick the queue into doing at once is around 15 or so videos, and even then it's a bit hack-y.
My record is fifty three pending stars at once.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Kitsuner wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:The most you can trick the queue into doing at once is around 15 or so videos, and even then it's a bit hack-y.
My record is fifty three pending stars at once.
What browser? Chrome?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”