What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime.

What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby Haar119 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:50 am

I recently found a very interesting article discussing the supposed two types of anime and the respective fans of each type http://www.japanator.com/what-kind-of-otaku-are-you--13120.phtml

Now I'd like to know: Which do you prefer?

Personally, I'll watch either type, but I've been trying to watch more Type A shows lately. I won't criticize you for your opinions,though
Jack of all trades, master of none.
User avatar
Haar119
 
Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Location: USA
Status: It all depends, really

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby TEKnician » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:23 pm

A Type-A would of course be what everyone thinks they are. But as the author of the article pointed out that he has Type-B tendencies, very few are sure exactly which category they are in. I myself firmly believe I am a Type-A.

Ghost in the F***in Shell was friggin awesome. Everything by Shinkai and Miyazaki. Eureka Seven, Clannad, Birdy Decode, Eden of the East, Code Geass, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Gurren Lagann! MASTERPIECES!

I was even reading a hilarious review on ANN about Highschool DxD. He explains his distaste for over-boobed anime quite nicely. :rofl:

What the japanese creators sometimes fail to realize is the vast assortment of tastes in anime out there. Sure, all of us guys like boobs, THAT IS A FACT. However, even a hot chick can act like a dumbass in dumbass situations and send our erection south for the winter. Same goes for all the slutty anime girls out there that are only in the show because its cheap porn. Aside from this, Moe characters also detract from a great anime. Character development is a huge role in establishing an emotional attachment between him/her and the viewer. A monotonous bimbo or a stiff jock who never cares about shit aren't all that appealing. But if that bimbo acts like that to cover up her real side or the jock doesn't want to form attachments for fear he may get heartbroken again, THAT makes a difference.

PLOT. PLOT. PLOT. Take me on a journey! For gods sake, at least tell me where we're going!
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.
User avatar
TEKnician
 
Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Location: Smack in the middle of the Pacific Ocean
Status: Not reading the spoilers or manga

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby Haar119 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:37 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:A Type-A would of course be what everyone thinks they are. But as the author of the article pointed out that he has Type-B tendencies, very few are sure exactly which category they are in. I myself firmly believe I am a Type-A.

Ghost in the F***in Shell was friggin awesome. Everything by Shinkai and Miyazaki. Eureka Seven, Clannad, Birdy Decode, Eden of the East, Code Geass, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Gurren Lagann! MASTERPIECES!

PLOT. PLOT. PLOT. Take me on a journey! For gods sake, at least tell me where we're going!


I see your point. On that note, I'd like to say that I love shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, Space Knight Tekkaman,(If that counts as Type A) Fist of the North Star,(Which is sort of debatable) and various other older anime.

At the same time, though, I like shows like Highschool of the Dead and Queen's Blade, usually for the sick humor involved. (Noticed a few urination and vomiting jokes in the latter)

For the most part, I've given up on seeing a really deep plot in newer anime, so I usually stick to stuff from the 50s-early 90s if I'm looking for something deep and thought provoking. That's not to say all new anime are shallow. I love Code Geass and similar shows, but I've noticed that these anime borrow many elements from older shows.
Spoiler :
Let's just say Lelouch isn't the first person to sacrifice himself for the good of mankind after getting everyone to hate him. LOGH already did that, along with half of the plot elements in Code Geass


In the end, though. It's all basically the same thing. Do we truly accomplish anything by categorizing anime fans based on what kind of anime they watch? After all, I'm pretty sure most anime fans know what it's like having people not accept you as being worthy of talking to them. We should all just be happy that people share the same interests as us.

Also, while I liked it, wasn't Clannad technically a Type B anime? I know it had a "plot," but didn't it primarily involve an introvert having underage girls line up to have sex with him, all culminating in a
Spoiler :
Deus Ex Machina where Nagisa is fine, despite dying
? or were you referring to the movie?
Jack of all trades, master of none.
User avatar
Haar119
 
Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Location: USA
Status: It all depends, really

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby CodeZTM » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm a hybrid.

I prefer plot over anything else, but there are certain anime where characters can save a poor plot. Most notably was Sekai-Ichi, which was a horrible plot, but I loved the characters so I was ok with it.

Although plot isn't everything. A plot can be BRILLIANT, but have terrible characters. Money of Soul & Possibility was a great example of this. Great plot and great concept, BUT the characters were idiotic and unrelated. Still, I liked it because the plkot was pretty nice. >_>

All in all, I just watch anime to enjoy it. Not all of them have to be amazing excersizes in literary masterpieces. I love great plots like Madoka and Evangelion, but I also love the fanservice of HSOD and the cuteness of Cardcaptor Sakura.
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby Haar119 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:53 pm

I've seen a few shows with horrible characters that I still enjoy. Gantz. for instance.
Everyone was selfish, cruel, uncaring, subservient, stupid, or some combination of the five. It worked in that situation, though. While I didn't really like anyone besides Kurono(The superdouche/pervert/most relatable character) and Butter Dog(Don't google it), all of the characters seemed very realistic. (Be honest: Would you try to save random strangers from aliens when your own life is at risk for no reward whatsoever? I probably wouldn't)
Jack of all trades, master of none.
User avatar
Haar119
 
Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Location: USA
Status: It all depends, really

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby EkaCoralian » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:11 pm

I can't really see someone straying from Type A at all; it pretty much sums up everyone. I feel that Type B would be more incorperated into Type A, somehow. I mean I love story and voice acting and soundtracks and everything, but I've been known to watch some shows simply for the characters or something I just thought looked gorgeous animation-wise. I watch Bleach for the Soul Reapers; the story's really deteriorated over the course of 300+ episodes, but the characters keep me.
Image
User avatar
EkaCoralian
 
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Status: Trying to get the time to edit. x_x;

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby Haar119 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:17 pm

EkaCoralian wrote:I can't really see someone straying from Type A at all; it pretty much sums up everyone. I feel that Type B would be more incorperated into Type A, somehow. I mean I love story and voice acting and soundtracks and everything, but I've been known to watch some shows simply for the characters or something I just thought looked gorgeous animation-wise. I watch Bleach for the Soul Reapers; the story's really deteriorated over the course of 300+ episodes, but the characters keep me.


I think lots of newer fans and/or children fall into Category B. For instance, most children's anime I've seen have paper-thin plots, characters interesting enough for me to keep watching. (Pokemon, Mega Man, Fighting Foodons, Yugioh to a certain extent, etc.)
Jack of all trades, master of none.
User avatar
Haar119
 
Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Location: USA
Status: It all depends, really

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby mirkosp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Used to be type B many moons ago, now well into type A, but still allow myself some slight type B guilty pleasures every now and then.

Plot isn't all to a show however. Believable characters are important to the whole, as are animations, and many more aspects. I'll take Code's example of C: I liked that show a bit, but it had some major flaws. The first, as he mentioned, were the rather bad characters. The second was actually the plot itself: had a nice setup and beginning, with interesting ideas, but wasn't able to go on well, possibly due to the characters and the time constraints, something which other shows have shared in the noitaminA slot (Fractale most obviously).
And yet, a show might be entirely based around characters, with little plot development, and still be an amazing show devoid of moe and totally not for type B otaku. I will bring Hourou Musuko as a prime example of this, as it was another noitaminA show in 2011, but it didn't have the issues that both C and Fractale had in their own ways. Another noitaminA example of this would be Kuragehime, which had its main interest in the characters and not the plot, but it was still a majorly type A show and was in fact dissed by type B otakus (as selling figures clearly showed, actually).

I'll also go against the grain and say this clearly: Shinkai is not a prime example of type A otaku. He did some nice stuff in the beginning. Then all he did was rehashing ideas, trying to copy Miyazaki, and generally pandering to its fanbase with scenary porn. Its latest movie is an example of this: it really isn't all too good if not for the scenary porn ─ which isn't lacking, as usual for him ─, and the fact he's so scenary porn reliant as a staple makes me think that all those scenes are meant to be there just like moe characters are in a type B show: otaku will like it anyway because it has that one thing they want.
Really, any show could be a type B show if it just has that one major selling point that panders to the people it knows and disregards the rest.
Hell, let's talk about Clannad. People think it's type A. It's not. It's a major fan-pandering with the same-old keyches, featuring moe girls in extreme drama with a hint of supernatural elements. Kanon was nice, it was at least original when it did what it did. Then Key proceeded to do the same thing all over again, marketing its well known fanbase with those few selling points for them and nothing else. And it sold. And it really didn't bring anything new and surprising, which is supposed to be a selling point for a drama: if it's predictable, its dramatic impact will lessen; couple that with the fact that it has only so many comic relieves to break the continuous flow of drama, and you realize why Clannad really got the success it did: giving the otakus the same things they want, namely the usual Jun Maeda work.
It's not so different from the Type-Moon fans who enjoy works more if only 'cause Nasu did it.
Wonder what the most original and interesting work by Key was? Planetarian. Guess what? Jun Maeda wasn't involved. How did it fare? Sold little compared to the other Key works and certainly hasn't seen an anime yet. KyoAni did Air in 2005. Did Kanon in 2006. Clannad in 2007. After Story in 2008. Planetarian's VN was released right after Clannad and we haven't seen an adaptation yet, and now 2012 has started.
We did get Angel Beats from Jun Maeda, which had a surprisingly original initial setup and I was actually quite honestly interested to see how it would go. It ruined what it could have been and ended up being badly paced, still filled with Keyches and predictability, and didn't really do anything with what could have made it interesting and good. Yet it was successfull since many fans still found what they wanted (hi Kanade, I'm looking at you).

And then you have those odd shows like Tatami Galaxy. Awesome characters. Clever directing. Interesting and well-executed visuals. Nice story, not too original by itself, but a somewhat unique take on the Groundhog Day deal. Overall an amazing piece of work. It didn't, however, have anything to pander to the masses, and didn't fare well in sellings. It had a small fanbase interested, you could say, since it had Yuasa's name on it, but, guess what, it didn't pander to them. Because it couldn't. It's just that Yuasa was known to have done different works with different styles, none too similar to the other. I mean, compare Mind Game to Kaiba, and you'll see they're very different, starting from the visuals, ending to the story, passing through the characters. They both were good works on their own tho, that's why some people were interested in Tatami, because the director showed that it could do good stuff without rehashing and pandering, keeping a fresh air to their works still without having to do mind-blowingly original things plot-wise. Hell, Tatami Galaxy isn't even an original work, since it's based on a book (not a light novel, but an actual novel).

And now I'll go back to the beginning example to try and wrap up the end of the post in this paragraph: Control had me and many other people interested because it had Kenji Nakamura's name. Yet me and other people were left disappointed (some outright hated it, I didn't go that far, but cannot say that it was a really good anime overall), because we could see it just doesn't fare well with his prior works (Mononoke and Trapeze). And I think this is the difference between Type A and Type B otaku. The former actually have an educated opinion and watch and try to analyze a show before praising or bashing it. The latter rarely if ever do so, from what I saw, rather focusing on just watching things they like for that reason they like them and ignoring the rest. And it's why many start as B type, and some eventually become A type: one grows knowledge and taste about anime the more one watches, after getting to know the medium well and seeing what it can do and what it could, and it's hard to have this knowledge right from the start.
Pay attention, I'm not saying being type B otaku is wrong: it's just a different interest in the medium. Type B are looking for something else in the medium than what Type A seek for. And there is no better or worse, nor wrong or right, just different, which is why I diss some shows in the way I do while many others praise and enjoy them. It's thanks to the different fanbase that we can have different shows, and it's not like one can quite easily collide into a single anime both of what type A and type B otaku enjoy without failing one or the other. But when it does, well, it does have a pretty big impact, and I can actually think of at a least a couple shows which managed, namely Evangelion and Madoka. Both enjoyed by both types, yet for (mostly) different reasons.
Image
User avatar
mirkosp
MODkip
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Location: Gallarate (VA), Italy
Status: (」・ワ・)」(⊃・ワ・)⊃

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby Haar119 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 am

mirkosp wrote:Used to be type B many moons ago, now well into type A, but still allow myself some slight type B guilty pleasures every now and then.

Plot isn't all to a show however. Believable characters are important to the whole, as are animations, and many more aspects.



I see what you mean. You raise some very interesting points on this subject.

Pay attention, I'm not saying being type B otaku is wrong: it's just a different interest in the medium. Type B are looking for something else in the medium than what Type A seek for. And there is no better or worse, nor wrong or right, just different, which is why I diss some shows in the way I do while many others praise and enjoy them. It's thanks to the different fanbase that we can have different shows, and it's not like one can quite easily collide into a single anime both of what type A and type B otaku enjoy without failing one or the other. But when it does, well, it does have a pretty big impact, and I can actually think of at a least a couple shows which managed, namely Evangelion and Madoka. Both enjoyed by both types, yet for (mostly) different reasons.


I've never actually seen Madoka, so I can't really comment on that point, but I more or less get what you're saying based on the example of Evangelion.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
User avatar
Haar119
 
Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Location: USA
Status: It all depends, really

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby ZephyrStar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:39 am

Type A for sure.

About the only time I tend towards type B is if I find a character to be really very interesting in and of themselves. This rarely happens though as type B shows are usually cookie-cutter stereotypes.
Image
User avatar
ZephyrStar
Master of Science
 
Joined: 17 Sep 2004
Location: The Laboratory
Status: Master of Science

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby Otohiko » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Type A is mai waifu.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby Chained(E)Studio » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm both.

I watch anime for everything.
However, that said.. anime styles like Naruto I do not watch. I personally just don't like that art style.
Image
User avatar
Chained(E)Studio
 
Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby Haar119 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Chained(E)Studio wrote:I'm both.

I watch anime for everything.
However, that said.. anime styles like Naruto I do not watch. I personally just don't like that art style.


I'll passively watch Naruto when it's on TV (that and any other anime I don't really care about) just because it's on TV.

Seriously, I watched FAKE just because it came on Television.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
User avatar
Haar119
 
Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Location: USA
Status: It all depends, really

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby uncreative » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 am

Chained(E)Studio wrote:However, that said.. anime styles like Naruto I do not watch. I personally just don't like that art style.

I'm curious as to what you mean by that exactly. I suspect you mean that "look" that long shonen series by Studio Pierrot (and some shorter ones) have.

mirkosp wrote:the same-old keyches

You keep using "keyches" but they're obviously more Maeda Jun's fault than Key's. I'm afraid I can't invent a way to leverage that into a witty term to bandy about though.
User avatar
uncreative
 
Joined: 10 Dec 2008

Re: What Kind of Anime Fan Are You?

Postby mirkosp » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:51 am

Yes, I'm quite aware that the clichés are all Maeda's doing (in fact it's clear in my post too, based on what I said about Planetarian and Angel Beats), but you gotta admit that saying keyches is amusing in its own way... :3
Image
User avatar
mirkosp
MODkip
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Location: Gallarate (VA), Italy
Status: (」・ワ・)」(⊃・ワ・)⊃

Next

Return to General Anime

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kireblue and 2 guests