AMV Salad 6...next stop: ZENKAIKON

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
otakujpop
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 6...now open!

Post by otakujpop » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Hey,

I'm pretty terrible at keeping an online presence, but I'm going to try for the rest of production. From reading quickly over the forum amvs : reheated's timeline is finalized and clips are beginning to be made for amvs6? Am I correct in that, and if so I'm starting on mine now and have two ready and 3 in process.
Ben

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:40 pm

otakujpop wrote:Hey,

I'm pretty terrible at keeping an online presence, but I'm going to try for the rest of production. From reading quickly over the forum amvs : reheated's timeline is finalized and clips are beginning to be made for amvs6? Am I correct in that, and if so I'm starting on mine now and have two ready and 3 in process.
Pretty much. I'd like a revisit to Reheated to get even more in there, but other than that, you're correct. There have already been a few submissions, but as usual we don't really get rolling until around now. If you don't get thread responses in your e-mail by subscribing to this thread, I recommend it. When it works, it totally keeps you reminded about it.

For me, I leave it open as the first tab in Firefox all the time... like... 2 years straight now, give or take when firefox crashes.
ImageImageImage

otakujpop
Org Profile

Post by otakujpop » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Ah, good, funny thing is I checked it on my own a second before the email came in. I hope, and believe this is going to top all salads!
Ben

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:49 pm

otakujpop wrote:Ah, good, funny thing is I checked it on my own a second before the email came in. I hope, and believe this is going to top all salads!
That is the aim as always. And we learned our lesson in 5 that we absolutely must focus on the credits with some care to maintain the audience to the end to have them feel like they were respected through the entire production. That and we'll have a helluva time outdoing Geico Money yet again as the running gag ^^ As always, if you have any thoughts on the running gag, even if you don't even think they're that good, bring them up here, because it could trigger an idea for someone else, or other people could make a suggestion that makes the idea ten times better we wouldn't have thought of ourselves. Happened before, that's for sure.
ImageImageImage

otakujpop
Org Profile

Post by otakujpop » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Gaelstrom wrote:
That and we'll have a helluva time outdoing Geico Money yet again as the running gag ^^ As always, if you have any thoughts on the running gag, even if you don't even think they're that good, bring them up here, because it could trigger an idea for someone else, or other people could make a suggestion that makes the idea ten times better we wouldn't have thought of ourselves. Happened before, that's for sure.
I did have an idea, but the gag would probably be too long, use LMFAO's song Sexy and I Know It's part "I work out" to various characters in anime who clearly don't or are so muscular working out doesn't really explain it (I'm thinking Tetsuo's arm)
Ben

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Hehe, that would work for a single clip more than a running gag, but it'll make a good quick one I'm sure. Could even be for consideration as the credits song, actually. It's fun and upbeat enough, plus a lot of sections we could cut in our logos.

For the running gag, the one stipulation for success I've noticed over the years is it must be the same joke but with different approaches. And actually relatively few types of jokes actually work in that scenario. I've said it on the AMVS4 and 5 boards, but if you look at how Geico money worked, and to a certain extent, the explosions/fluffy combo from 5 worked, it never leads into the joke the same way. Explosions is a relatively open one, because it can come from almost anywhere and as long as your timing is good, it's funny in a slapstick way. Fluffy is also similar.

I've said it before, but I'll gush again as to why Geico money worked so well. Geico had the beautiful slow lead in with Princess Tutu, where nobody knew anything was coming at all, which couldn't have been a better intro. Then the sensei from Azumanga having a similar buildup, and then it comes back. Now the audience knows something is reoccurring, so we can't use that again right afterward. Then the Haruhi one, where the audience HEARS the music immediately and is prompted to foretell what's coming, so it mixes it up a bit and plays on audience recognition. Then, once again goes back to the original method with Tenchi in a slow build up, but with something almost completely impossibly related, and then egg reveals it in a new way using the same technique. Then finally, a 'conclusion' to the running gag's 'story' with it being lit on fire in Pokemon. Followed at the end by an almost "Or is it...?" ending with the Hypnotoad.

So that's the type of mindset that works as a basis for a running gag. It kind of has to tell its own story to be very good I believe. I'm sure we can do it again, but I don't know if anything musical can follow that pattern. If anything it would have to be a certain character playing a certain song. For example AMVS5's Black Butler clip with the Rick Roll could have easily been a running gag, but it's also a fairly old joke, so overdoing it would have been dangerous, but once was perfect.
ImageImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:38 pm

...and now that we're waxing nostalgic,...

*goes to rewatch the live Otakon AMVS4 video*

The last five of the final 20 seconds are the most gratifying. ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Hmmmmm gag ideas... *shrugs* I haven't had many awe inspiring ideas with this one, no theme :(

But perhaps a "one of these things is not like the other" idea or perhaps where's waldo? just shooting out some ideas...

I also see that you have a coming soon for AMVS5 banner Deuce, do we need one or are you working on it? I can totally whip one up ;P
ImageImage
ImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:37 am

SammySamaProductions wrote:I also see that you have a coming soon for AMVS5 banner Deuce, do we need one or are you working on it? I can totally whip one up ;P
Could you?
I've been busy with work and Katsucon AMV stuff and it always slips my mind.
I'd really appreciate it, dear... :bear:
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:40 am

No problem ^_^ you should have something in your mail box by this afternoon ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”