Anime Los Angeles 2012 AMV Contest - NOW WITH WINNERS!!!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
TrufflePigStudios
Org Profile

Re: Anime Los Angeles 2012 AMV Contest - NOW WITH FINALISTS!

Post by TrufflePigStudios » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:21 am

Does anybody know when/ where we pick up the blue tickets? I skimmed over the posts to see if it had been addressed but I didn't see anything. Thanks :D

MikalSaltveit
Org Profile

Post by MikalSaltveit » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:47 am

TrufflePigStudios wrote:Does anybody know when/ where we pick up the blue tickets? I skimmed over the posts to see if it had been addressed but I didn't see anything. Thanks :D
Tickets can be picked up before 5:15pm on Friday at the AMV Room or at the door between 5:15pm and 5:30pm

The important thing that you are reserving is a seat. The ticket lets my Ushers know that you get to sit in the reserved seating area. If you do not have a ticket and arrive after 5:30pm we cannot guarantee your seat. We will try to be attentive until the show starts at 6:00pm,

-Mikal Saltveit

MikalSaltveit
Org Profile

Post by MikalSaltveit » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 pm

LAST MINUTE CONTEST UPDATE:
Ryan Cech (LC Productions) - Is it Safe? has been moved to Pro.
Victoria Rider Galietta (RiderG) - Bending Inferno has been added to Action.

-Mikal

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:32 pm

YAY AVATAR!!

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:00 am

Sadly I won't be able to make it until Saturday since I got prior last minute arrangements in the evening. :(
Guess I'll be hitting the second screening with Troy.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:56 am

I noticed Safety Dance made it in afterall. I like having it shown, but am to lazy too find a proxy and I'm not that interested in the prize/award if it would end up taking it away from a local that'll be attending anyways. So if its possible I'll concede any potential prizes to those in attendance.

MikalSaltveit
Org Profile

Post by MikalSaltveit » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:58 am

RADIO SILENCE TIME

There is no internet at con. I will not be able to respond to e-mails. If you have any further questions stop by the AMV Room and I or one of my clones will be there.

- Mikal Saltveit

Yuusharo
Org Profile

Post by Yuusharo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:11 am

Can't sleep, so I figured I'd write up some thoughts on the contest tonight. I encourage anyone else who'd like to contribute their own thoughts and ideas to please do so. We love hearing feedback from you all, especially from the creators themselves.

We took a gamble this year, and it both succeeded and failed. We decided to push back the deadline for the contest to December 31, one week before the convention. The idea was meant to encourage as many submissions as possible by year's end from as many people as we could. In a way, that worked - we got a record number of submissions this year. Some were rough around the edges while others were simply stunning. You guys continue to surprise and delight us every year with the amount of effort, talent and care you put into your videos. Not to sound melodramatic, but I feel like I've had a chance to learn a little bit about every creator who's participated in our contest through their entries.

Our gamble quickly backfired, however. The lesson I quickly learned is one week is simply not enough time to organize a complete contest. I hadn't been given a majority of the submitted entries until January 2, which meant I had little time to properly encode them, test them for any sync or artifact issues, create the intros (which are fun to do but time consuming), create the recaps, create the information cards between each video, and more. That's just the technical side. Simply put, five days is not enough time to put everything together when one has both a personal and professional life to live out in addition to his responsibilities to the convention. It's not fair to me, but mostly it's not fair to you guys, the heart and soul of the contest. You deserve better treatment from us, and we want to bring it to you the best damn show we possibly can!

Without getting into too much inside baseball, there are other issues and concerns internally that need to be addressed in the way the AMV Contest is done in future years. I've been listening to a lot of feedback off the record by several people, in addition to my own observations both as a con-goer and a staffer. There have been several reoccurring criticisms that have gone unanswered up to this point. I'll be in discussion with several people internally after the convention is over to explain what those problems are, and work on construction solutions that take care of those issues going forward.

I truly apologize for all the technical issues we had during the contest tonight, as well as for starting 30 minutes late. Fortunately, thanks to our tech crew, the ALA Staffers, our panel of judges and our esteemed Toastmaster, we were able to get through the entire contest without too many screw ups. I'm truly honored to be working with these folks and look forward to it every year.

Time to get some much needed sleep. Feel free to track me down either at con this weekend or online anytime if you'd like to discuss anything. See you all again soon!

~Jason Fiore
Last edited by Yuusharo on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/yuusharo - YouTube Channel
http://www.AnimeLosAngeles.org - Anime Los Angeles AMV Events Staff (2008-2012), AMV Competition Coordinator (2015- )
http://www.Anime-Conji.org/ - Anime Conji AMV Events Staff (2013-2015)
http://www.Anime-Expo.org - Anime Expo AMV Events Staff (2015-2018)
http://SakuraCon.org - Sakura-Con AMV Events Staff (2016- )

blaku92
Org Profile

Post by blaku92 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:37 am

I was ok with the videos playing out of order from the voting tickets (because it was made clear which videos were which), but the fact that every video was played back at an inconsistently wrong aspect ratio really bugged me. At first, I thought everyone was negatively affected by this in the same way because the projector was set to 16:9 instead of 4:3 I believe, but I'm not quite sure. Also, audio sync was off by 3 frames or so (could be due to the theater screen distance or something though). Overall, I enjoyed the event very much and look forward to entering again. I think you guys learned a lot of lessons about having earlier preparation/manageable entry deadlines, so I won't go into that. The contest opening montage was pretty epic. Did you cut that Jason? It's impressive that you got as much done as you did in the time you had to do it! I missed the meet and greet today because I was given wrong info, but I'll swing by the AMV room at some point tomorrow (Saturday -- yes I still haven't gone to sleep XP) to meet you and talk more about it all. I can't wait to hear the results tomorrow. I hope my entry does well, but I gotta say: damn -- that Avatar vid should have been shown to M. Night Shyamalan first to show how it's DONE! Definitely my favorite, unexpected entry. Thanks for all the hard work and good job everyone!

"I've dated uglier girls than you for breakfast."

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:44 pm

blaku92 wrote:I was ok with the videos playing out of order from the voting tickets (because it was made clear which videos were which), but the fact that every video was played back at an inconsistently wrong aspect ratio really bugged me. At first, I thought everyone was negatively affected by this in the same way because the projector was set to 16:9 instead of 4:3 I believe, but I'm not quite sure. Also, audio sync was off by 3 frames or so (could be due to the theater screen distance or something though).
i agree with the aspect ratio, for the most part i was able to ignore and adjust but it can be distracting. this is the only time i know it happening to the entire show.
i sat up close to the screen and the audio was in sync to me. if surround speakers are available i highly suggest so people in the back don't have that issue.

i give props for having Tadao on hand to keep the audience's spirits up while you guys fixed bugs. that's something stryyder and i should look into for Vegas XD stalling is not my greatest attribute. it's also great that there wasn't anything planned for after the contest so you didn't have to cut out a category.

aside from all that my only other suggestion would be:
Spoiler :
USE A PC

Return to “AMV Contests”