Front Page News

This forum is for help with this web site. Please read the FAQ and then search this forum before asking questions here; most likely the question you are about to ask has already been answered.

Front Page News

Postby Shin-AMV » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Add the lip flapper interviews/editorials to the front page. They're good reads and helps to make us feel more connected as a community.
Shin-AMV

Re: Front Page News

Postby CodeZTM » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:36 pm

I'd certainly love to have it on the front-page, especially for newcomers to the site that might not be as active on the forums. One of the goals behind these interviews is to close the gap between editors, and bring the community more close together by learning more about each other and finding common connections. Especially via the new group discussions that will be released around week from tomorrow.

And thanks everyone for all the support. :)
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby Ileia » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:15 pm

I like that the admins added it to the front page, but I dislike the fact that the disclaimer about the Lip Flapper is longer than the description about it. It makes it seem like the org is REALLY trying to distance itself from it.
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby GloryQuestor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:45 am

Ileia wrote:I like that the admins added it to the front page, but I dislike the fact that the disclaimer about the Lip Flapper is longer than the description about it. It makes it seem like the org is REALLY trying to distance itself from it.

We are simply reaffirming what CodeZTM said -- that he is not an official representative of the Org management and the viewpoints reflected in the Lip Flapper don't reflect or represent the opinion of the Org management as a whole. We really do encourage articles, contests, OP-EDs, reviews, etc., but it's our responsibility to follow common practices (like disclaimers) when referencing anything that we do not directly endorse or support.

Basically, don't get hung up by all the legalese, and just enjoy the articles. :P
Samurai Warriors Productions
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Postby Ileia » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:51 am

I already enjoy the articles, what I don't like or understand is why you don't endorse or support the Lip Flapper. Why is a disclaimer necessary? Other than Code not being "management" I can't think of a single reason why the Org wouldn't want to be affiliated with something that is helping revive this dying community.
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby gotegenks » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:12 am

...ouch.
gotegenks

Postby Kariudo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:17 am

Ileia wrote:I already enjoy the articles, what I don't like or understand is why you don't endorse or support the Lip Flapper. Why is a disclaimer necessary? Other than Code not being "management" I can't think of a single reason why the Org wouldn't want to be affiliated with something that is helping revive this dying community.

Ileia, I can't help but feel that you're spinning this a bit.
The disclaimer was put in the announcement because it's in the thread, simple as that.

Does it need to be in both places? Probably not.
I'll get a discussion going on how to handle this in the future, and then we'll bring Code in on the discussion.
Happy now?

Also...
gote wrote:...ouch.

not helping dude.

/dramatimeovernaoplzkthx
ImageImage
Kariudo
Twilight prince

Postby Ileia » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 am

GloryQuestor wrote: it's our responsibility to follow common practices (like disclaimers) when referencing anything that we do not directly endorse or support.

Accuse me of spinning things all you want, even if you were only copy-pasting what Code said, the site admin just confirmed there that you didn't directly endorse or support it. I'm asking why that is. I'm asking seriously. "Legalese" it for me.

Additionally,
Kariudo wrote:Happy now?

This sort of response?

Kariudo wrote:not helping dude.
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby gotegenks » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:22 am

ooph!
gotegenks

Postby Moonlight Soldier » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:14 am

*scratches head*

As someone who works in the media a disclaimer is unnecessary.
That'd be like writing a disclaimer on every story any paper has ever published, could you imagine how daft it would be to cover a court case and then say; BUT WE THE PUBLICATION DO NOT SUPPORT THE ACTIONS OF THE ACCUSED. Well duh.

Food for thought guys :P
Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells

Postby CodeZTM » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:15 am

I just wanted to state this for the record:

The disclaimer was originally my idea to put into the thread because I did not check with the administration before starting The Lip Flapper, and they don't look over what questions I ask or what content is shared. So basically, they had no idea I was doing it until way after the first episode had been posted. Going back to Moonlight's example, it would be like a visiting writer to a newspaper publishing a story without the editors actually reading it.

So it's ok that they keep the disclaimer in my mind. If there is a way that I can improve the interviews that makes the administration comfortable with supporting it directly, then I would be more than happy to do so. Until then, the news announcement was more than enough support on their part, and it made me immensely happy. :)

My pm box is always open for discussion about The Lip Flapper!
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:16 pm

It gives the impression that it should be a LOT more risque and outright confrontational. You don't include that much legalese unless you expect it to be very objectionable - like going on racist tirades or constantly talking politics / religion.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby macchinainterna » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:58 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:
We are simply reaffirming what CodeZTM said -- that he is not an official representative of the Org management and the viewpoints reflected in the Lip Flapper don't reflect or represent the opinion of the Org management as a whole. We really do encourage articles, contests, OP-EDs, reviews, etc., but it's our responsibility to follow common practices (like disclaimers) when referencing anything that we do not directly endorse or support.

Basically, don't get hung up by all the legalese, and just enjoy the articles. :P

ImageImage
macchinainterna

Postby aesling » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:03 pm

I do think that it's weird, given all the ways in which you guys need to cover your asses legally in regards to this site, that you would pick a long disclaimer for a fan interview. I think if you're ever sued, it's not going to be over something like that. I can understand Code having the disclaimer in his threads, so there is no confusion as to the origin of the interviews, but having it on the front page IS rather off-putting. Also, Kariudo, I'm sure none of this was meant as personal attack, so unprofessional conduct only hurts your ability to deal with feedback.
aesling
Mad Scientist

Postby Pwolf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:04 pm

GloryQuestor wrote: We really do encourage articles, contests, OP-EDs, reviews, etc., but it's our responsibility to follow common practices (like disclaimers) when referencing anything that we do not directly endorse or support.

Not to try and cause drama or anything but for a site that is more or less run by the community (you all were regular members of the community yourselves at some point) why doesn't the org endorse or support community driven events or discussions like The Lip Flapper?

Obviously there are certain things when it comes to the site's rules and objectives that I believe should be taken into consideration but IMO I don't really see why The Lip Flapper itself shouldn't have the full support of the org behind it. If there's a specific reason why you guys don't want to support it, then i think it would be good to let us know so we can work towards doing things that will prevent things like adding disclaimers and such.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Next

Return to Site Help & Feedback