The Lip Flapper : Episode 2 : Pwolf

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: The Lip Flapper : Episode 2 : Pwolf

Post by Pwolf » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:It may be just me, but I don't think there is a shift in the way the community thinks about competition and everyone going after wins...
It may not be all about winning but there's definitely a negative competitive attitude I see. The perfect example is that of Ileia. A great editor but takes a lot of shit from people no mater what contest she participates in. There's an attitude of "I MUST DESTROY HER AND IF I DO I AM AWESOME!" that a lot of people seem to have. If not that, then worse. CDVV (her studio) gets a lot of crap for being good and winning contests, so much to the point that people have accused them of cheating without any facts or evidence to back it up. Seriously people? And it's not just her. There are plenty of other editors out there that get the same treatment. The sad truth is, this attitude is pushing these people away from the org. We've already seen a number of them leave and other's have thought about, myself included.
l33tmeatwad wrote:but more of a change in the mindset of the newbies. I think there is an extra layer of intimidation due to the fact that videos use more special effects and are way more impressive looking these days. I'm not sure how many times I've heard newbies comment that they wanted to make a video but they didn't think they could do impressive special effects.
Honestly, this has always been around. New editors have always had high expectations and big goals, some of them not really ready to tackle them. If anything, the only change has been is what the goal was. Back in the day it might have been as simple as preparing one's source correctly (the tools and information weren't available) and now it could be advanced special effects. And it really doesn't matter. As a community we should be willing to help and assist those who truly want it. But also, as a community, we should be more supportive of our fellow editors so they feel welcome and comfortable enough to ask for help in the first place
Centurione wrote:I've been interested in making AMVs for about 3 years now and, you see, I've also known a-m-v.org site since, but was unable to join and become active then. It felt more like a place only for professionals, contests, some super advanced stuff.
And as Code said, we aren't all about professionals, contests, and super advanced stuff but that's what we've started to become over the years and what I'm describing above.
Scintilla wrote:
CodeZTM wrote:Q: Any plans on expanding the app to other platforms?

A: I've got the two big ones done already so all that's left is Windows Phone 7.
Wait, what about BlackBerry OS?
I hope you're being sarcastic but either way, I lol'd.

Anyway, I thought I should throw in an extra two cents there. I think these interviews are great and it would be cool if they got the home page treatment.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:24 pm

Pwolf wrote: It may not be all about winning but there's definitely a negative competitive attitude I see. The perfect example is that of Ileia. A great editor but takes a lot of shit from people no mater what contest she participates in. There's an attitude of "I MUST DESTROY HER AND IF I DO I AM AWESOME!" that a lot of people seem to have. If not that, then worse. CDVV (her studio) gets a lot of crap for being good and winning contests, so much to the point that people have accused them of cheating without any facts or evidence to back it up. Seriously people? And it's not just her. There are plenty of other editors out there that get the same treatment. The sad truth is, this attitude is pushing these people away from the org. We've already seen a number of them leave and other's have thought about, myself included.
That was 2002 for me. 10 years ago. :cry:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

The Lip Flapper : Episode 2 : Pwolf

Post by ngsilver » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:47 pm

Pwolf wrote:It may not be all about winning but there's definitely a negative competitive attitude I see. The perfect example is that of Ileia. A great editor but takes a lot of shit from people no mater what contest she participates in. There's an attitude of "I MUST DESTROY HER AND IF I DO I AM AWESOME!" that a lot of people seem to have. If not that, then worse. CDVV (her studio) gets a lot of crap for being good and winning contests, so much to the point that people have accused them of cheating without any facts or evidence to back it up. Seriously people? And it's not just her. There are plenty of other editors out there that get the same treatment. The sad truth is, this attitude is pushing these people away from the org. We've already seen a number of them leave and other's have thought about, myself included.
This isn't actually just an org thing either. Compbros has spoken in length with me about how much hate he gets on YouTube from people when he wins awards at cons. It really is such bad form and I don't see where it is all coming from. Didn't people learn to be gracious winners and losers? Competition is fine but when it gets to that point it kind of looses the meaning of competition.
ImageImageImageImage

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:33 pm

People who wrote:"I MUST DESTROY HER AND IF I DO I AM AWESOME!"
Uh, yeah. Good luck with that :roll:

I know for a fact that I'll never make comparable videos to some of the pros here, but that doesn't drive me to make better videos. I make better videos to make myself feel better, OR just for lolz. Hey, if I become a pro at making them, then whoop-da-diddley-deedoo! I won't care unless someone comes and SAYS my video is crap, not if they make my video look like crap by comparison. Hell, even if you say my video is crap, i won't really give a crap anyways. I'll still make crap.

/crap
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:13 pm

Well... If it makes anyone feel better this is nothing new.

Even in the early 2000s there was a lot of resentment when a handful of editors dominated the winners circle at cons. This is human nature in competitions and is seen everywhere and not just AMV contests.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:29 pm

It makes me sad when I see people get so bitter about losing. Especially if you're a finalist in the first place! That's an honor in and of itself to make it into the top 5/10 of dozens of AMVs submitted.

But then again, it might have to do with the motivation behind entering the contests. For me, I enter contests to get my AMVs seen (hence why I love it when I get to see audience reaction videos or hear from other people that are physically there), and not so much for the prizes/awards. Others might be into it for the simple desire to "win", and might not be as blase' to losing. (Which is why I usually don't play games like LoL or MW2 online anymore XD)

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:49 pm

CodeZTM wrote:It makes me sad when I see people get so bitter about losing. Especially if you're a finalist in the first place! That's an honor in and of itself to make it into the top 5/10 of dozens of AMVs submitted.

But then again, it might have to do with the motivation behind entering the contests. For me, I enter contests to get my AMVs seen (hence why I love it when I get to see audience reaction videos or hear from other people that are physically there), and not so much for the prizes/awards. Others might be into it for the simple desire to "win", and might not be as blase' to losing. (Which is why I usually don't play games like LoL or MW2 online anymore XD)
Not to sidetrack the conversation, but this sort of thing has been on my mind lately. I very much agree with Pwolf's comments about the shift from a community feel to this site to one that is more competitive, but I view it as a natural result of changing technology. We used to be the folks which had the passion and skills to create fan-made anime-centric videos, we were our own little community - there really wasn't anyone else doing what we did - but eventually things like YouTube came along and suddenly anyone could be an AMV editor given a fistful of fansubs and WMM. Not only that, but PCs got more powerful, software got more plentiful, tutorials were everywhere on the Internet and it really is now pretty easy to create a technically advanced video that, just 10 years ago, would have been almost unthinkable. Further, watching videos of all kinds has became commonplace - it's not particularly unusual or special anymore. Yes, making the videos we make is still a niche hobby, but it's not all "ours" anymore. Like it or not, a-m-v.org is part of a much bigger scene and that scene is largely about getting the most attention, which generally means a spirit of non-cooperation at best and trampling on other people at worst. It's also easier now to view a-m-v.org as the high-end of AMVing...but really, there was just as full a spectrum of attitude and ambition around here as there exists anywhere else. Like Vlad said, it's human nature.

Regardless of how technology may have changed, however, I stand by my belief that it is the person behind the AMV that determines its worth. Anyone can make a great AMV if they have the talent, vision, skill and drive to do so. Maybe the results are a groundbreaking effects extravaganza, maybe it's a superbly simple and powerful romance video, but we should support and celebrate people who make great AMVs of all kinds. Winning some award or title is really the most difficult of accomplishments, considering how few of them there are to go around. If you pin all your hopes on that sort of thing, you're probably in for some disappointment. It's just the way the world works.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:40 pm

DriftRoot wrote:Winning some award or title is really the most difficult of accomplishments, considering how few of them there are to go around.
Well, by my rough guess (and the animecons.com numbers), there are still over 300 cons in North America alone every year, most of which have AMV contests, most of which have multiple awards - we're talking about 1000 to 1500 awards at NA conventions alone - that isn't exactly a small total, even on the low end. Hell, I'd be hard pressed to say I've seen more than a hundred good videos in the best year.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:55 pm

another rad read :D

kawasakinin
Org Profile

Post by kawasakinin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:58 pm