Mawaru Penguindrum

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Mawaru Penguindrum

Post by mirkosp » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:27 pm

It's your fault Code. Everybody knew it would have been like this from the beginning. If you have at least heard about Utena, you would have known what you were in for.
While in Madoka they initially pretended it would be a happy-go-lucky mahou shoujo anime (although just reading Gen Urobuchi made nobody believe it), in penguindrum they did say it would get progressively darker right from the start (and again, Utena is a good example on what one could have expected more or less).

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:22 pm

I don't understand what happened in the last episode at all, but it was so damn awesome. I don't even know why.
Spoiler :
Like seriously! I had no clue what was going on. At first I thought that Himari was gonna sacrifice herself and die again, then I thought that Ringo was gonna sacrifice herself instead, then I thought that Kanba was gonna die, then I was sure that Shoma was gonna die as well, then I thought that Momoka was gonna give a "just as planned" speech and save everyone........but none of this actually happened and nobody died :shock: . I enjoyed the ride that this episode took me on, but it took WTF to the max.
If PenguinDrum ever gets licensed, its a definite buy for me.

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:20 am

Huh, I'm so confused also with the last episode.. but I LOVED it xD.
Spoiler :
I am guessing its something like Kanba & Shoma started it all when they were in the crates. They both realized it and gave their love for Himari and Ringo, so they all could somehow start over... and be happy. Though I do not get why Shoma and Kanba are left as kids.. maybe something like Momoka. Where she is left to wonder, they are too now because they realized the greatest thing.. love? =P lol...

EkaCoralian
Org Profile

Post by EkaCoralian » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Episode 24.
Well I cried; how'd everyone else fare? xD

Overall a good show, but I've still got gripes:
Spoiler :
I would've liked for Sanetoshi and his rabbits to have gotten more airtime; I know he's a ghost and he's out for vengeance but it just didn't seem like a huge enough motive. Besides, why was he trying to bring Himari back to life anyways? (Maybe I forgot that though; I'm not sure). And was he able to revive people with his ghostly powers or what? God. Damn. Sanetoshi.

Not to mention Masako. What on earth happened with her character throughout the entire show, anyways? I understand her ending for the most part, but she just seemed like such a useless character in hindsight. Shame, really; I loved her character design. Though I did hate her catchphrase. "Gosh, I must crush him soon." Woman, I must crush YOU soon.
But very enjoyable regardless. 7/10.

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:11 pm

EkaCoralian wrote:Episode 24.
Well I cried; how'd everyone else fare? xD

Overall a good show, but I've still got gripes:
Spoiler :
I would've liked for Sanetoshi and his rabbits to have gotten more airtime; I know he's a ghost and he's out for vengeance but it just didn't seem like a huge enough motive. Besides, why was he trying to bring Himari back to life anyways? (Maybe I forgot that though; I'm not sure). And was he able to revive people with his ghostly powers or what? God. Damn. Sanetoshi.
x2. They never really did explain the reasons for his actions. Unless I missed something. :uhoh: I think I was crying for about 1/3 of the episode. Haha. XD

But good show was good. |:> It's definitely a confusing story(for me anyway) so I'll probably have to look up a full summary guide to get the full story but it's unique and a pretty interesting watch, different things are always nice. :mrgreen:

:up:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:59 pm

http://i.imgur.com/owd19.jpg

Sharing this for the time being, if you still have questions I will try to answer based on what I understood.
In the meantime, thank you Ikuhara. |:>

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:36 pm

mirkosp wrote:http://i.imgur.com/owd19.jpg

Sharing this for the time being, if you still have questions I will try to answer based on what I understood.
In the meantime, thank you Ikuhara. |:>
:shock: that diagram really did explain everything

PantherMarie1988
Org Profile

Post by PantherMarie1988 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:15 pm

This anime wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be I guess (with the good recommendations I'd gotten for it, I think I was just expecting something more), but it was still nice.
Spoiler :
The thing with Yuri and her father really got to me though...when he was like "why are you so ugly?" I totally wanted to punch him in the face...I wish Yuri had told him he was the ugliest thing she'd ever seen. XD They kept showing that picture of his pipe...and I was like "what type of crack are yew smoking?" ;_; but yeah - I liked it despite that "your parents don't really love you" was kind of the message I took away from the show (like...everyone had parental issues xD)...and the parents were always so fickle ("I only love certain types of people" x_x). It had some really dark moments that were broken up by penguin hilarity - and the ending was sad T.T
Hi There!
youtube / MAL / tumblr
Stalk Me On All Of Them To Receive A Cookie Reward

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”