The Lip Flapper : Episode 1 - ShinAMV Interview

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

The Lip Flapper : Episode 1 - ShinAMV Interview

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Disclaimer: This interview project is not affiliated with animemusicvideos.org and is the product of CodeZTM. These questions do not reflect the opinions of Animemusicvdieos.org or its administration.

Description

Welcome to the Lip Flapper. Each month, I will interview 2-3 active members of animemusicvideos.org, and get their philosophy on editing, how they view the community,and a few personal questions about their own additions to the A-M-V.org community.

This Week in "The Lip Flapper"

This week, I sat down with Shin-AMV (editor of the very popular, "Safety Dance", "Written in the Spirals", "Outta the Box", and "Fate Matrix") and asked him some questions about his most recent work, as well as his editing philosophy.

"The Interview"

Q: First of all, let me thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! But before we get started, how about you introduce yourself to the readers and let us know a little about yourself? Maybe what your favorite AMV is?

My AMV editing nickname is Shin and I'm a big fan of AMVs. I've been making AMVs for just a little under 2 years now. Sometimes I think my passion and enjoyment for AMVs might be well crossing the border into obsession though.

I like a lot of them across all genres, so its really hard to pick out a favorite at any given time. Although a few AMVs that I've been replaying a lot lately are Chiikaboom's "ElectroPenguin" and Ileia's "Where I am Now".

Q: Well thanks for joining me Shin-AMV. Let us start off nice and easy and ask how you got involved in editing AMVs?

I had always wanted to make AMVs ever since I was younger but never really had the time or hardware to do it. But when I got all the essential equipment, I started off by making a bunch of romance type AMVs to be shown at my wedding as a tribute to our nerdiness. After that, I just kept making them cause it was really fun.

Q: So what goes through your mind as you edit? Is there anything special that you do before/during/after editing? What’s your process that you go through?

I have a feeling my process for editing is way less organized compared to others. I don't really have a lot of pre planning for anything and I start a lot of different projects based on feel or inspiration and will switch around a lot from one project to another just based on to whatever is popping into my head at any given moment. Usually I'll start a project because I'll have an idea for maybe 1 or 2 scenes or just think a song/anime combination would seem fun.

Although, I do have a long iteration process and will have about 5-6 different alternate versions for most scenes to really try to find what feels the most approriate.

Q: So why do you edit? Is editing just a fun hobby, or perhaps you have a different motivation?

I would say I do it mostly for fun. Its a really great creative outlet and its fun to share what you made with others who also enjoy the hobby.

Q: Now, I have seen that you have been very successful in the American cons lately. How’s it feel to get such positive recognition for your work?

It feels really nice that people enjoy watching my AMVs whether it wins or not, so winning is just a nice added bonus. I like to enter a lot of contests as an added motivation to help me really settle down on a particular AMV to finish it, otherwise I'd have a lot of projects sitting around 60-80% completion.

Q: One of your most recent works, “Safety Dance”, has gotten a lot of very positive reception, and is a very fun AMV to watch and enjoy myself. So what went through your mind as you were editing this, and what inspired you to work on this? Also, are you a Futurama fan? If so, awesome. Awesome to the max.

Haha, yes I am Futurama fan. I started Safety Dance more or less on a whim after my twin brother said I should make an AMV to the song after we had watched that Futurama episode. I originally started out making it thinking it would be a multi-anime AMV. I started off the project using Nichijou, and it just felt like a Nichijou AMV after that and decided to try to do it all with the single source instead. I wanted to make it fun, bouncey, and silly which Nichijou was full of good scenes portraying that.

Q: You also recently edited a strong entry for Akross, “Fate Matrix”, which was collaboration with GunterAMVs. How did this collaborative effort work out? Was it fun? How did you end up dividing the work? Any advice you might offer editors who do collaborative efforts? How did you come up with the idea of a cyber god?

GuntherAMVs was the one who thought up the core concept of the AMV. She told me she had an idea for creating an AMV where someone controlled and watched someone else through a computer/televsion screen, and we talked about it for awhile and bounced ideas back and forth until it eventually became the current concept of a cyber god watching over a lot of people and manipulating their fate.

She didn't think she had the technical ability to do a lot of the stuff so she asked if I wanted to collab on the project and I was more than happy to join in on it.

The division of labor on the project is probably different compared to a lot of collab projects, she would make a lot of "storyline" type pieces that would end up going into the computer screens so she would end up making 2-3 mini amvs. I would look over and then chop up, resync and add to and then fit into the little computer windows. So it was a really long iterative process.

One benefit to the song we used, was that since a lot of it was repetitive most of the parts were really modular and able to be moved at will from one part to another without any syncing issues.

Overall the process of making this AMV was really fun.

Q: “Outta the Box” was a really trippy video. Personally, it was one of my favorite videos of the entire year. So where in your head did this AMV come from?

I'm actually not sure where this one really came from. I started working on it because the song and the anime seemed to match well in terms of feeling "boxed in." I wanted it to feel kind of crazy and trippy to emphasize the complexities of being trapped in a seemingly mundane world, but not be so depressive about it. So it kind of mirrors the show a little in that its kind of a surreal whacky take on the rigmarole of the routine and ordinary.

Q: While I'm not as big of a fan of it as your other work, I've seen others go crazy over "Written in the Spirals". What was your inspiration/motivation there?

I started watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann after seeing Vlad's AMV "Flash"(AHHH HAAAAAH!!!) It was a fun and entertaing AMV and I've seen other TTGL AMVs before but this one finally pushed my interest enough to go out and watch the series. I heard the song after I had finished watching a few episodes of TTGL and it just kind of clicked in my mind that it matched and I started messing around with it.

Q: So what do you think of the A-M-V.org community?

I generally have a positive attitude about the org and think its a helpful place if you want to really improve on technique/style, but its definitely a hard place to be if you're not quite ready for that step or are really sensitive to critique, but it seems like for the most part most of the community means well.

Q: Anything you’d like to say to the A-M-V.org community itself?

Hmmm. Not that I can think of in particular. Maybe just thanks for having a strong interest in AMVs.

Q: Well, thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions. Do you have any last minute advice you’d like to give editors that might just be starting out? Or just something you’d like to say in general?

Advice I would give to any editor old or new is just to keep going. Don't worry about the reception of any particular AMV, learn from your flops and revel in your masterpieces alike. Everyone will have both good and bad AMVs, but the most important thing is whether or not you enjoyed making them.

Next Time in "The Lip Flapper"

Well, that's all I have for this week. Join me on the week of December 26th when we sit down and interview with Pwolf, a long time member of A-M-V.org, and the developer of the AMVAPP for mobile smartphones.
Last edited by CodeZTM on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: The Lip Flapper : Episode 1 - ShinAMV

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:39 pm

I see you try to non-affiliate in the top part there, but there really isn't much difference between this and the old ones on the main site. :up:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Awesome job :up:

This should be at least a news item on the main site imo >__>
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Next time, you should record the voices and make a video showing you as one anime character talking to another anime character. Then you could turn it into a podcast!
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

ReggieSmalls
Org Profile

Post by ReggieSmalls » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:41 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:Next time, you should record the voices and make a video showing you as one anime character talking to another anime character. Then you could turn it into a podcast!
x2
Am I the meanest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the prettiest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town? Sho'nuff!

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:59 pm

ReggieSmalls wrote:
The_TEKnician wrote:Next time, you should record the voices and make a video showing you as one anime character talking to another anime character. Then you could turn it into a podcast!
x2
That's a really nice idea in theory. However, with my time constraints that I'll soon be faced with (tax season & college), as well as the fact that I'm very uncomfortable with my voice on the internet, it's not something that I'd like to do at this time. There's also the consideration that potential interviewees might not want to be recorded either, and scheduling issues might be pertinent as well. For now, I plan on sticking with written interviews.

However, this is something I will consider doing in the future if this feature gets enough momentum going. :up:

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:04 pm

You could always use the japanese audio from the anime and put subtitles!! :awesome: :rofl:

Meh, your call...Nice interview, too!
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Just a thought... but you could give the questions to another person and have them ask the questions in your place. Kinda like your the director and the person whose talking is the actor. :dino:

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Digging the interview, it was fun to read and I look forward to the next one. I have to disagree about the podcast thing though, I think reading these types of things is much better imo.

Code: Keeping things fresh :up:

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: The Lip Flapper : Episode 1 - ShinAMV Interview

Post by ngsilver » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:45 am

Interviews was something I was planning on starting myself as part of the This Week in AMVs set of content after the new year. It's good to see someone else picking up the interview thing. I'll leave it up to you :up:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General AMV”