2011 Album of the Year

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

2011 Album of the Year

Post by irriadin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:19 pm

What is your favorite (or list of favorite) album(s) released this year?

Here are my favorites at the moment. I'm still churning through a backlog trying to listen to as much as I can:

Here's what I have, so far:

1. Blue Stahli - Blue Stahli
UltraNUMB (like you haven't heard this 1,000,000 times by now)

Damn you guys for liking the same stuff I do! My hipster cred is ruined!

2. Mother Mother - Eureka
Simply Simple

At first I didn't care for this follow-up to O My Heart (one of my favorite albums of all time), but this grew on me. And continues to grow on me. Awesome album.

3. Nightwish - Imaginaerum
Rest Calm

Better than Dark Passion Play overall, but man, keep voiceovers out of my Nightwish songs, please! I get enough of that in Rhapsody of Fire's releases. Oh yes, have to say something positive: this album was actually written for Annette's vocal range and style, so it's quite different from previous Nightwish works. It rocks!

4. Cold Cave - Cherish the Cold Years
Confetti

I didn't even know this band existed until about a week ago. I've listened to this album pretty much non-stop since then.

5. Rhapsody of Fire - From Chaos to Eternity
I Belong To The Stars

Not as good as their last album, but still packed with enough symphonic overtures and ripping Lucas Turilli-approved guitarwork to take you on a mystical quest... doing... something. I honestly have no idea what happens in these albums, but the music is good and that's all I care about!

6. Rise Against - Endgame
Survivor Guilt

Yea, this album has a ton of energy and I can't help getting pumped up while listening to it. Some true gems to be found.

7. Within Temptation - The Unforgiving
Lost

I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed in this album after the strength of their previous album's, but Within Temptation's latest is still *very* good.

8. Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials
Spectrum

For an artist that is purportedly "mainstream", Florence + The Machine has some really experimental / indie overtones. Great follow-up album, even better than her premiere.

9. Opeth - Heritage
Famine

Well, this was a surprise. I like this "clean" Opeth album a lot more than Damnation.

10. Above & Beyond - Group Therapy
Every Little Beat

A very soothing and awesome piece of electronica goodness.

11. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
12. Adam Skorupa & Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Soundtrack
13. Cage the Elephant - Thank You Happy Birthday
14. Nero - Welcome Reality (Shout out to Neverend for getting me hooked on these guys)
15. Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi - Rome
16. Ume - Phantoms
17. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
18. Cake - Showroom of Compassion
19. CunninLynguists - Oneirology
20. Starfucker - Reptilians

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Re: 2011 Album of the Year

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Astronautalis - This Is Our Science

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:34 am

1. ДДТ - Иначе (DDT - Otherwise)
За тобой пришли (They Have Come For You)
Lyrics wrote:From the staircase, you hear the stomping
Of solitude and desire for a different living
This is your existential experience:
Looking for hides behind those footsteps

They know your address, all your telephone numbers
They're already here, they've finally found you
You swallow air which, like reinforced concrete
Screams in your lungs: THEY HAVE COME FOR YOU!
Some music is timeless beauty. Other music is something that just hits right to the heart of the time and place it's made in. This is definitely in the latter category, with incredible sincerity and intensity connecting current problems to the eternal. However you more or less have to be Russian to appreciate that.
Many a tear has been shed listening to this album and its companion piece P.S. (basically another, non-concept album released in the same package). What I would give to see this live (the production of their current arena shows in Russia is massive, with over an hour of film accompanying the album).

2. Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning
Index (video)

Wilson's best work to date - although I'll bet not best work ever. He's still got more up his sleeve.
Despite its creepy undertones and some obvious excesses, it's really a thing of frail beauty and love of sounds big and small (but especially small). Phenomenally well-produced. Seeing Steve do his first solo tour live just a few weeks back also topped it off - it sounds even better on stage!

I was going to name it "album of the decade", until DDT's masterpiece dropped two weeks later.

Honorable Mentions:

Дельфин - Существо (Dolphin - Creature)
A long-awaited album that did not disappoint - an early pioneer of rap in Russia who no longer raps, and no longer rages at the society; this is distilled personal melancholy and a mature, poetic view of the world.
Sunset (video)

Blackfield - Welcome to My DNA
Blackfield is the only band every single album and song in whose catalogue I unreservedly love. Their third release continues that pattern.
Waving (video)

Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two
What the label says - very much a continuation of their previous album, with the same stripped-down sound that's almost unexpected of a traditionally-prog band. Gets right to the point of things, however I do hope that they move on from this sound in the future.

Jacszyk, Fripp & Collins - A Scarcity of Miracles
It's not King Crimson. As long as one doesn't expect King Crimson out of this, this is a lovely, mature, atmospheric album. Very soft.
A Scarcity of Miracles (video)

Пилот - Осень (Pilot - Autumn)
An awesome Russian band going back to its simpler roots. I've loved their previous concept work (unlike some fans), but it's great to see them strutting out some simple songs from the street, too.
Autumn (video)

Opeth - Heritage
Yup. It's still gonna take a while to grow on me, but I really feel like they've accomplished something very different here.
Häxprocess

Аквариум - Архангельск (Aquarium - Arkhangelsk)
Another classic Russian rock band not living in the past. Unlike DDT's sharp, painful assessment of Russia-in-the-present-moment, this one celebrates eternal problems and eternal love in a playful but sincere tone.
March of the Sacred Cows (video)
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:34 am

Copy-pasting my list from another forum:
1. Collide - Counting to Zero

CtZ doesn't update this duo's sound from their last proper effort "Two Headed Monster" (which I prefer and which was also one of my year's favourites back in 2008) but it's nevertheless a very nice album. kaRIN and Statik have a very unique brand of gothic electro (or darkwave, whatever you like to call it), which is dark, sexy and powerful and should appeal to anyone interested in female fronted industrial music. Their only weakness is that their music is not so accessible, requiring repeated listening or, at their best/worst, sometimes it's impossible to get a grip of what they're trying to do. CtZ has a handful of songs, which don't seem to go anywhere and are just too experimental for their own good.

Song pick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YOxWspN1_Y

2. Diffuzion - Winter Cities

This release caught me by surprise. I already liked their debut from 2008 (or 2007 if we're nitpicking) but this trio's latest release is much more broad and mature measured by both, song-writing and soundscapes. I haven't quite finished finding out all the treasures on this album but already a lot of tracks stand out as excellently crafted icy darkwave pearls. Diffuzion also has a unique style, managing to capture very dark and repeatative synths and beats while at the same time introducing lots of beautiful melodies and a nice range of vocal styles. Again, it's not a perfect album. Some of the tracks are plain boring. But it's nevertheless one of the year's best albums.

Song pick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW74d2PS2xM

3. Zola Jesus - Conatus

Zola Jesus is deffinitely one of the most vocally oriented artists amongst my favourites. Nika Danilova already demonstrated her impressive vocal range on last year's EP "Stridulum" but "Conatus" delivers it full lenght. The album also works really nicely as a single piece, to be listened from the first track to the last one, as the mood ranges from darker tones to more epic soundscapes and further to more optimistic tunes. An excellent and highly re-listenable album!

Song pick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIb4rL6ipbs

4. Lady Gaga - Born This Way

Do I need to say any more? I think this is absolutely the year's best pop album. Whereas The Fame was about having fun, partying, satirically displaying the celebrity culture, Born This Way is about connecting with the fans, embracing difference and individuality, self-empowering and even a little bit of political critique. It's an excellent album by someone who is not afraid to seize the opportunity to create shamelessly catchy pop music while nevertheless not compromising an artistic touch. However, I never really liked all those slow ballads though.

Song pick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okq8xHrIZ8I

5. Puscifer - Conditions of My Parole

Maynard James Keenan has been one of my favourite musicians since I really started listening to music back in my teenage years and I'm always looking forward to his releases, whether they be Tool, APC or Puscifer. This album recalls the sounds of APC and is in a way a nostalgic listen for me although I have to admit I have grown out of alt-rock during the last couple of years. I haven't listened to this album as repeatedly as V Is for Vagina (which was ridiculously obscene and eccentric) but Maynard isn't really capable of writing poor songs!

Song pick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrQIqAKhxY

Song of the year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS9fQzSKPdA

Music video of the year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cggNqDAtJYU

Disappointment of the year: Angelspit - Hello My Name Is

Other worthy albums:

93MillionMilesFromTheSun - Northern Sky
Amanda Palmer - Amanda Palmer Goes Down Under
Chainreactor - Insomniac
Chisu - Kun valaistun
Skrillex - More Monsters and Nice Sprites (EP)
Excision - X Rated
Javelynn - Chimaera at Heart
Korn - The Path of Totality
Ladytron - Gravity the Seducer
Light Parade - Stand Up (For the Light Parade) (EP)
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
Psy'Aviah - Introspection / Extrospection
Radiohead - The King of Limbs
The Raveonettes - Raven in the Grave
Regina - Soita Mulle
Ringo Deathstarr - Colour Trip
Stripmall Architecture - Feathersongs for Factory Girls
You Love Her Coz She's Dead - s/t

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Really liking the diversity I'm seeing here. On other forums I visit, you'll see the usual "James Blake" / "Bon Iver" posted endlessly.

Susanoo
Org Profile

Post by Susanoo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Forever the Sickest Kids - S/T :dino:

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:47 am

Only heard 2-3 tracks so far, but I'm sure this will be the one.

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:15 am

What the hell is Opeth - Heritage doing in this thread? That album finally totally ruined the band for me :|

1. The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre
2. Primordial – Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
3. Florence and the Machine - Ceremonials
4. Dornenreich - Flammentriebe
5. Nocte Obducta - Verderbnis (Der Schnitter kratzt an jeder Tür)
6. Adele - 21
7. Sólstafir - Svartir Sandar
8. Sun Devoured Earth - The Sunshine Always Fades
9. Weena Morloch - Amok
10. Verwüstung - Beyond the Watercolor Sunset, We Feel New Life

Not including EPs, otherwise this list would be full of Sun Devoured Earth :mrgreen:

ReggieSmalls
Org Profile

Post by ReggieSmalls » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:59 pm

My top 5
Tech N9NE - All 6's and 7's

Danny Brown - XXX

Kendrick Lamar - Section.80

Big K.R.I.T. - Return Of 4Eva

CunninLynguists - Oneirology
Am I the meanest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the prettiest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town? Sho'nuff!

LeX
Org Profile

Post by LeX » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:53 am

def
M83 – Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming

and

Radiohead - The king of limbs

Return to “General Discussion”