Journal/QC Replies?

gotegenks
Org Profile

Journal/QC Replies?

Post by gotegenks » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:51 pm

i think that'd be neat, considering there's no need to avoid having an OT alternative (in the case of journal replies)

and qc replies so if you wanna reply to a qc you don't have to go through your public journal and risk embarrassing the unwitting anonymous poster.

already been brought up?

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: Journal/QC Replies?

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 pm

I really like this idea. I've always wanted a reply button on the journals, because I think it adds something to process.

Although for QC's? I'm not certain on this one. On the one hand, it makes for a good means of getting feedback/criticisms and taking it a step further by being able to directly ask questions to your anonymous criticizer and clarify on points to make the feedback process much nicer. Plus, it might get people to actually use the feature more. On the other hand, it'd probably be a very big coding nightmare (but I'm no programmer, so I'm not sure on this).

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Journal replies were mentioned in the org redesign threads at least once.
I was working on a journal system with replies as a personal exercise, but life called and I had to stop working on it.

So basically, journal replies should be a feature that comes with the org redesign...which is still on hold until my situation stabilizes.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:18 am

I will continue to "embarrass" those pesky anon users all I want in journals, weather there's a reply button or no :P

What's to be embarrassed about? it's not like the person who left the comment is being outed or anything.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:35 pm

It's usually not embarrassing, that was just a minor point, but even if you are anonymous, it's like when the teacher is angry at you but takes it out on the class instead and says "i won't say who, but..."

that shit is embarrassing. but it rarely happens in journals. Mostly the ability to have functional conversations by way of journal, because the reply-by-journal method really sucks and when you find there's a big journal war going on it's hard to keep track of the whole conversation because all of the replies are out of order.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:27 pm

big journal wars haven't happened lately. O.o

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:30 pm

are you against journal replies?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:46 pm

No. I think if someone wants to reply to a QC in journal then that's fine, as long as it doesn't go against the site rules. Actually my last journal was a reply to a series of QCs.

I am however against the way the QC system works now. I don't like that they are anonymous and I don't like that you can't reply to them. I think that it was a bad decision to begin with to implement them this way. IMHO this is a huge "F-U" to the editor since there is no way to continue the dialog. Also I think people should have to own what they say instead of hiding behind the fact QCs are anonymous.

But these are part of a long list of complaints I have about QCs... I could probably continue.

The way I'd do it is this way: give the person leaving the comment the choice of weather they are anonymous or not, but also give the video editor the choice of blocking anonymous comments. "Signing" the QC isn't enough in my opinion, because the person can sign as anyone. I'd also like a way to make some comments public (the same way you can make some opinions public) and the ability to respond to them.

So here's the deal: I'm not against your idea of being able to respond to QCs. I'm just stating that I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to reply to them in a journal. If the person leaving the QC doesn't want to be publicly embarrassed (even though no one but him, knows who it is) then maybe he or she should think about what they are writing before pressing submit.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:04 pm

lol, well i'm more concerned with journal replies here than qc replies, i just thought they'd be nifty.

there are ways to leave comments that aren't anonymous (like OPs and announcement thread posts) so the function to leave an anonymous comment could facilitate some different/more/better feedback.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Replies to other journals in journals is another thing entirely. From what I've seen, there haven't been many journal wars (like back in the day of the Journal Junkies) lately. Sure a couple of people have posted some angst that has gotten a few replies, but nothing like the craziness back in the day. So this is where my opinion on that comes from.

I do think that the journals could use a comment system if only to keep it all together/better organized. This issue is actually why we have the PM link up there now, so that people wouldn't have to reply in their journal. However I've nothing against public discussion in journals, a comment system might benefit that.

I was getting the idea that people replying to QCs in journals somehow bothers you. As for that situation, my opinion still stands, if I feel like responding to a QC in my journal, then I will, weather or not there is a reply box for QCs.

As for QC's I don't see "anonymous" as "better" because if I don't know who the person is, how can I know if I respect their opinion? I respect the opinions of people who are willing to back it up with their screen name more than people who hide behind being a blank slate.

[Edit] I'm pretty vocal on this, because I used to be heavily involved in the community that was gathering around the journals (which seems to be really dying now). A lot of this discussion has been brought up in the past, and the answer we got back then was "it's too complicated/the coders have lives". There has been a lot of talk about overhauling the entire site, but considering how dead that's gotten, I'm starting to think it's never gonna happen.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”