The AMV Announcement Thread

EvaFan
Org Profile

The AMV Announcement Thread

Post by EvaFan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:30 pm

In before the shitstorm this thread causes... Also its prolly been talked about several times before but oh well.

I'ma just be honest and give my opinion here, I think the bump system in the announcement thread is a bad idea. Not to pick on anyone in particular but to give an example. It's just not right seeing videos from september while nearing the end of november on the list still when some vids barely make a week because of friends bumping videos from past months and people waiting the max amount of time to respond just to get another bump. Its just silly. This has probably been argued over before but I don't want to argue about it really, I just wanted to express my opinion about it (give feedback). Hell, I'm not even sure if the thread is oganizable by date of first post only anyway.

Actually I think this bump system does more harm then good. In most cases I'm betting people think along the lines of, "Well that person never comments on my thread or bumps it with something short just for a bump, so I'll do the same for them... Nothing." If there was no bump system people might be more inclined just to leave a comment since there's nothing to really lose or gain. If I post on this video, it wont be bumped lowering some other video, there is no effect! We all know people have friends wait to post for that epic bump from nowhere. If there was no bump system people would be inclined to just comment after viewing all at once. You get what you get, not draw it out and get as much as you can resorting to tactics regarding comments and views.

The idea that if we took away the bump system people would miss the announcement is a flawed reasoning as well. I'm sorry but if you don't visit the org atleast once within a weeks time thats your problem. If a mod could give a statistic for amount of announcements on a day or even a week I bet you it wouldnt even be that big of a deal if even a problem at all. The only rare case would be after big conventions in which people all upload at once, even then, that could easily be staggered if people really wanted to. Some wait to release and apply quick fixes to their vids also. These days we have all these different ways of keeping in touch and finding out a vid from someone has been released. If you dont frequent the org regularly you could just manage specific people with alerts that let you know when they release a vid or even do a journal post. Friends are gonna tell friends their vid is finished and able to be commented on anyway.

I'm big on equal oppurtunity and fairness so I just figured I'd voice my opinion on this. If it goes anywhere, great. If not, oh well. Again I don't plan to really argue for my opinion, maybe I just wanted to vent it cause lately I've felt like I've wanted to comment on some videos but the whole passive aggressive "they never bump my thread" has held me back and for the most part reason why I stopped commenting a while ago with the exception of QC's, it has even effected my overall chance of viewing a vid. Also partly cause its just unfair to see some vids quickly streamline down the list and forgotten while others date months back for release. If its truely an announcement thread then it should be dated by the announcement and ordered by the announcement, not by last post.

This is just feedback. If you disagree thats fine but the effects it has on me as a AMV viewer will remain regardless which is why I posted this as feedback. Feel free to offer ideas and your own feedback about the system whether good, bad, yay, or nay.

It's OK org, I still <3 you regardless.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: The AMV Announcement Thread

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Adding this would allow for the option: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=571618
Not knowing much about PHPBB, I'd think it'd be trivially easy to add a sortByTimeOfFirstPost() option on your own, but ::shrug::

I'm of the opinion that it'd be an opt-in sort of thing. You want to see results sorted that way, fine. Don't force the sort options on everyone else though. Have it be an option in user preferences.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:01 pm

That "you don't bump my thread so I'ma not bump yours" is cyclical. They may see it as you not bumping theirs which is why they don't bump yours as well.

I also tend to bump the threads of people who actually link me to their thread, or chat with me on whatever instant messenger/facebook or whatever, as opposed to just browsing the announcement forum. I don't frequent the announcements as much anymore, I never really did lurk in them much in the first place.

I do, however, wait for the last minute/for the replies to build up to respond because I feel like I'm bumping my own thread too much if I reply after each response.

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:35 pm

Harm? good? old videos still in front?

Seems like we're just taking it too seriously. These are fan made videos as a part of a hobby we all enjoy, I see no reason why it should be a big deal how long a video is in front. If somebody is starved for attention there are many ways to get your name out there and get publicity (IRC, PMing people, messaging people on IM, Opinion exchange). sure more popular editors are going to have more popular threads, good for them.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Its not about being starved for attention NS and you know that. As long as it's received a fair amount of time on first page of the list, it had a fair chance for getting said comments and views. Something about resorting to tactics to extend how long your thread is on the front page... Now that is attention starved.

I actually would do something bashar if I had any idea how phpbb worked myself if its possible even if others don't get the same effect, atleast I can fool myself into thinking its more worth commenting again.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:40 pm

I meant the non-addressive form of 'you' ... 'one' could do that, not you personally, but any of the site coders.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:35 pm

I didn't mean "attention starved" in a negative way, just meant it to say that if somebody isn't getting the attention or feedback that they want on a video that they announce in the forums, there are many more ways for them to get that wanted attention/feedback.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:42 pm

yyyyyyyyyyyyoutube~

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:29 pm

I actually figured someone would bring up youtube. I was just trying to help with the reason why I think comments and possibly views are pretty lacking in the announcement thread section and giving new (or just in general) people a more fair timeframe for on the front page for views and comments. The more I think about it though its kind of a lost cause as most people just create vids and watch their friends videos comment/bump, rarely watching other videos if anymore at all. That's a pretty rough assumption of the community but I'd still bet money on it.

Also still think without a bump system I'd definitely be more inclined to just drop a comment for whatever reason after watching a vid. Even more so if they got rid of donation status only for video previews in the thread. That alone would increase comments and views most likely.

I dunno maybe after being around so long and thinking about how it was back then and looking at it now, the announcement forum just seems so bleak in activity comparison.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:14 am

i was replying to the guy above, i think it's a good idea too. The more friends you have here the longer your thread stays up there. I don't know if that's right or wrong but it bugs me too. Actually, bashar's idea seems pretty good, but idk if it'd fix the problems of not everyone getting equal attention unless everyone starting going with it.

Tricky stuff, i've been trying to be like Code check out people i don't know or know OF and don't have many views or comments on their page and they're usually pretty bad, sad to say, just like anyone's first amv y'kno? Not all of them are bad, but there's certainly a reason people people only check out familiar names, it's a way of guaranteeing you're not wasting your time, at least if you're not in the mood to write comments and stuff, but even then really inexperienced people won't understand what you're saying or won't care enough to actually take it so it's STILL a waste of time unless you're really nice and like all videos then they probably enjoy getting the comment.

so idk, i get what you're saying though, it is an issue. And we should encourage more random commenting.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”