mkv to anything but XviD/DivX

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

mkv to anything but XviD/DivX

Post by pacotacoshell » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:25 am

I have been wondering why my AMVs have been having weird frames in between clips and such, and I researched it for a bit. Then I find out that using XviD/DivX files when editing messes up the playback of the video, so I really wanna fix that. So does anyone know of a good converter or something that can convert MKV? Also, if it can also convert XviD/DivX? And lastly, what is the best quality yet reasonable file size to convert videos to?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: mkv to anything but XviD/DivX

Post by mirkosp » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:43 am

Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides Lovingly Overhauled Largely by Zarxrax</a>.

You're probably looking at ffvideosource+avfs+pfm for the best quality with lowest filesize (at the expense of resource hog while editing).

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Ah, thanks. So when I have those playback frame problems, it could be because of this?:
4) Your video has been temporally smoothed. Pretty much every source has some kind of noise that happens between consecutive frames - the only time this wouldn't be true is if you have drawn the footage cleanly yourself. Even the prettiest DVD has this noise and it wastes a large amount of data when encoding. Temporal smoothers such as Temporal Cleaner, Convolution3D, deen, fluxsmooth and so on all reduce this and give you a lot more bits to play with when encoding the parts you really want to look good.
Sorry if I'm wrong, I really don't know much about encoding and stuff. -.-

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:49 pm

No it was because whatever you did to convert your clip wasn't fetching frame accurately, and thus you would get them out of order. This is also seldomly caused by the NLE itself if you use lossy codecs which are not made entirely of keyframes. FFVideoSource is frame accurate and then you're just serving the script to your NLE with a fake avi system, so you have only small files doing their job, but that also means more cpu usage and slower decoding while editing than you'd have by editing with lossless clips.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”