Frame Rates and Ghosting

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
digifreak
Org Profile

Frame Rates and Ghosting

Post by digifreak » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm editing footage from a DVD. The source footage is 23.976 FPS, but I can't get it to render at that frame rate. I'm using Sony Vegas Studio HD 9 and it won't allow me to. I'm encoding it with UT. I tried 24fps, but it creates ghosting. I don't necessarily want it at exactly 23.976 fps, but I just want to get rid of the ghosting.

digifreak
Org Profile

Re: Frame Rates and Ghosting

Post by digifreak » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Nevermind I figured it out. I just had to disable the stupid resample... Grr.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:14 pm

Seriously? 23.967 to 24 had ghostings? theres almost no difference so i wouldnt expect ghosintgs

digifreak
Org Profile

Post by digifreak » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:39 am

-Eake4- wrote:Seriously? 23.967 to 24 had ghostings? theres almost no difference so i wouldnt expect ghosintgs
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I had done it before with live action and it's not that noticeable, but with animation it was very noticeable. But it was because of the resampling.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:04 pm

It actually makes a lot of sense for it to have a lot of ghosting... the points in time which are represented by 23.976 and 24 do not match at all, since one is float while the other is integer, thus the blend.
But the best thing for you would be to assumefps(24) before editing and going on like that, I guess. Still, seems weird that it won't allow you to do 23.976...

digifreak
Org Profile

Post by digifreak » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:52 pm

mirkosp wrote:It actually makes a lot of sense for it to have a lot of ghosting... the points in time which are represented by 23.976 and 24 do not match at all, since one is float while the other is integer, thus the blend.
But the best thing for you would be to assumefps(24) before editing and going on like that, I guess. Still, seems weird that it won't allow you to do 23.976...
Yeah, it won't let me do it with avis.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Uh... what?
You get your avs script to look like:

Code: Select all

avisource("file.avi")
assumefps(24)
Then make lossless clips or whatever suits your taste with virtualdub and use these to edit.

digifreak
Org Profile

Post by digifreak » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:12 am

I meant Sony Vegas won't let me export avis in 24fps. I have yet to add assumefps to my script. Thanks for the tip.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:56 am

Mmmh what formats and framerates do you have at disposal?

Also, do be aware that using assumefps will basically speed up your footage to that framerate, so you'd likely have to re-edit your video for the thing to work out. I meant that as a suggestion for the future because I thought you could export at 24.00 fps from vegas, but that does not appear to be the case...?

digifreak
Org Profile

Post by digifreak » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:22 am

mirkosp wrote:Mmmh what formats and framerates do you have at disposal?

Also, do be aware that using assumefps will basically speed up your footage to that framerate, so you'd likely have to re-edit your video for the thing to work out. I meant that as a suggestion for the future because I thought you could export at 24.00 fps from vegas, but that does not appear to be the case...?
Sorry, typing error. I get what you said. I meant vegas doesn't like 23.976 fps. Thanks.

Return to “AviSynth Help”