ENGLISH DUB VS JAPANESE VERSION [here we go again]

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: ENGLISH DUB VS JAPANESE VERSION [here we go again]

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:05 am

uncreative wrote:
Sukunai wrote: I have no beef watching subbed anime, but I do occasionally get pissed off that sometimes I see the translation written differently than it is dubbed.

If the sentence is originally spoken in Japanese, the sentence translated into English will be written and spoken VIRTUALLY IDENTICALLY!! This is not open to debate, as my English language skills are not in question. Seeing an English sub different from the same language dubbed calls into doubt which was actually the valid interpretation. And ideally I want to know exactly what was originally was said.
This is actually relatively common, and the subs are generally the closer interpretation. Dubs usually try to work around the mouth movements of the characters, which can introduce a lot of fuzziness to the translation. This is also why Disney's releases of Ghibli movies usually have two subtitle tracks, one that's proper subtitles and one that is closed-captioning for the dub's dialogue.
In response to a lot of complaints about changing dialog, a number of dubbing studios actually started taking this idea and perverting it by just using the dub script for the subs and going "lol - what inconsistencies?"
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:11 am

Honestly speaking, I've yet to see a translations/dubs that I just thought was "OMG. THEY BUTCHERED THE ENTIRE SHOW" with the exception of Cardcaptors (but that was more a complete re-haul of a show than a translation error). Most of the time, it's the actual character voices that matter to me, which is why Kaleido Star will ALWAYS make me cringe in horror when Layla talks.

Granted, I'll admit that most of the anime I watch is actually in English [with the exception of in the past several years where I began watching anime as it premiered in Japan]. I may have a completely different opinion once things like C: Money of Control gets english adapatations [IF they get adapted anyway], but recently I thought that DRRR! and Angel Beats pretty much hit the nail on the head for the most part.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Eureka Seven ENGLISH=WIN.
Even though that alot of the voices sounded similar (eg. Anemone, Holland, Talho) Johnny Young Bosch as Renton was hella good.
CodeZTM wrote:DRRR! and Angel Beats pretty much hit the nail on the head for the most part.
Key anime seems to reuse the same voice actors (Kanon->Clannad->Angel Beats).
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

azulmagia
Org Profile

Post by azulmagia » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:34 am

The English dub of Urotsukidoji: The Legend of the Overfiend is HILARIOUS.

As for superior Japanese dubs...well, let's say there is a reason I don't watch Wedding Peach in English. :evil:

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:02 am

If I watch the English dub first, I would prefer it over the sub since more often than not, I most likely won't watch the sub anyways. I can get used to watching dubs of stuff I watched in subs first since it doesn't really bother me, but the thing that makes me cringes most is watching the same show that has a different dub than I'm used to, i.e. the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven OVAs.
Under Construction

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:43 am

Bible Black has a great dub. :awesome:

nekomata_ensetsu
Org Profile

Post by nekomata_ensetsu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:41 am

I hate most dubs. Thus far, out of the ones I have seen, I only like: Cowboy Bebop & FLCL.
For nostalgia purposes, even though they are terrible dubs, I have a mild like towards: Yu Yu Hakusho, Fullmetal Panic (mostly just Fumoffu), Genshiken, Dragonball Z, & Pokemon.

Everything else I've preferred subbed.

Subs I REALLY like though... Well anything with Mamoru Miyano (voice actor for Suoh Tamaki, Yagami Light, Masaomi Kida, etc). :D he's my favorite voice actor.
Image Image

Return to “General Anime”