ENGLISH DUB VS JAPANESE VERSION [here we go again]

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Re: ENGLISH DUB VS JAPANESE VERSION [here we go again]

Post by 8bit_samurai » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:58 am

uncreative wrote: For all that I responded to this thread semi-seriously, ten thousand times this. I may as well start an Xbox vs. PlayStation thread for all the productiveness I'd get out of it.
Nintendo 64 vs Playstation or Xbox vs Playstation 2 would probably be more appropriate. Or to be more relevant to the present, Xbox 360 vs Playstation 3. Or you could always take the consoles vs PC gaming route, though I'd believe that argument would be least productive of the bunch.
Under Construction

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:29 pm

uncreative wrote:She does get better as the show goes along, and she was pretty decent in Seitokai Yakuindomo. Remember that Maka was literally the first role she ever had.
Oh! :shock: I had no idea! Well, i guess that she DOES get progressively better.
uncreative wrote:Conversely, I read very quickly and understand Japanese moderately well, so unless it's a rare occasion of subtitles actually sitting on top of something important I'm really only tangentially aware that they're there at all. Focusing on the entire screen isn't any harder than when there aren't words to read on the bottom, and you don't have to hear quite so many poor attempts to emote. Thankfully, Disney uses proper actors for voice work so Ghibli dubs tend to be of very high quality. I particularly like Billy Crystal's Calcifer.
A valid point again... i guess subs just aren't my brand of tea... :book:
uncreative wrote:I may as well start an Xbox vs. PlayStation thread for all the productiveness I'd get out of it.
Notice that my intro post was just to "name an anime that IN YOUR OPINION seemed better in English and one that sounded better in Japanese". NOT "Which is better: ENGLISH or JAPANESE?"
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:01 am

the vampire hunter D Bloodlust movie

the voice acting is much more distinct in the english version, the most notable one being the vampire count, his English voice actor does an excellent job of sounding like old nobility. D's hand parasite thing (don't know what its name is) is done pretty well too. The rest of the cast for the most part is a bit mixed but overall I still consider them better than the Japanese version, more because they have a larger variety of voices and accents, reflecting the different cultures in the movie.

This is actually the only anime I've watched in which I saw the japanese version first, then the english version, and then preferred the english dub over the original.

TifaLockhartVII
Org Profile

Post by TifaLockhartVII » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:38 am

I personally prefere to watch anime in japanese, because dubbing seems to take away its originality for me. Same for whenever I watch k-dramas.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:40 am

Dubbing is one of those things that seems to destroy the original feeling of the show, and almost always feel more underwhelming to me than the original. I also read very quickly and understand Japanese enough to get the gist of what's going on...a skill which I picked up from watching a lot of subbed Japanese media. That being said, there are dubs I don't mind, and a couple I actually like better. The two that everyone lists are:

Cowboy Bebop - They did a very good job of matching up the characters to the English VAs, and the feeling is there. You get the same feeling as the Japanese characters, not much if anything is lost, and a lot is made better. I had no like for Megu's Faye, she's infinitely better in English.

FLCL - FANTASTIC. Inclusion of many of the original Japanese jokes, many were re-written but were equally funny and obscure and fit the feeling of the original. The idea of including Japanese expressions such as Haruko going "ara" make the whole thing feel transparent. You don't realize you're watching a dub, again I think it's feeling.

Again, I think the biggest reason I don't like dubs is that they rarely go for trying to match up the feeling. They just assume people will enjoy their portrayal, or "that's good enough." There was certainly more of this in the past. English dubs have come a LONG way over the last 20 years however. Anime has become a much bigger business outside of Japan, and the expectations of the fanbase have driven up the quality. Fans vote with their money, and when you can make more money off a release, you have less of "that's good enough."

NelTu
Org Profile

Post by NelTu » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:33 pm

English: Full Metal Alchemist
Why?: Vic Mignogna

Japanese: Kuroshitsuji
why?: Because I never ever want to hear Sebastian open his mouth ans speak English at least not completely and with his cute Japanese accent. I love FUNimation for not ruining that for me.
Killing you only reduces the number of idiots
Best Site EVAH Clicky! www.adurah.com/img/hp7_spoilers.jpg

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm still in shock over season 3 Sailor Moon in English dub. I might never recover and it's been several years too.

But I confess, I don't mind dubbed anime as it allows me to 'watch' favourite shows while building models, as I am not required to 'read' the dialogue eh. I mean, ya, it would be so cool if I spoke fluent Japanese, but I don't.

I have no beef watching subbed anime, but I do occasionally get pissed off that sometimes I see the translation written differently than it is dubbed.

If the sentence is originally spoken in Japanese, the sentence translated into English will be written and spoken VIRTUALLY IDENTICALLY!! This is not open to debate, as my English language skills are not in question. Seeing an English sub different from the same language dubbed calls into doubt which was actually the valid interpretation. And ideally I want to know exactly what was originally was said.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:32 pm

I think they both suck. Chew on that for awhile.
Image Image

UpcomingDread
Org Profile

Post by UpcomingDread » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:42 pm

Taite wrote:I think they both suck. Chew on that for awhile.
:rofl:

Well here I some animes I preferred dubbed:

Trigun
Gurren Lagann
Baccano!
DBZ
Samurai Champloo
Hentalia
Cowboy Bebop
G Gundam
Yu Yu Hakusho

uncreative
Org Profile

Post by uncreative » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:11 am

Sukunai wrote: I have no beef watching subbed anime, but I do occasionally get pissed off that sometimes I see the translation written differently than it is dubbed.

If the sentence is originally spoken in Japanese, the sentence translated into English will be written and spoken VIRTUALLY IDENTICALLY!! This is not open to debate, as my English language skills are not in question. Seeing an English sub different from the same language dubbed calls into doubt which was actually the valid interpretation. And ideally I want to know exactly what was originally was said.
This is actually relatively common, and the subs are generally the closer interpretation. Dubs usually try to work around the mouth movements of the characters, which can introduce a lot of fuzziness to the translation. This is also why Disney's releases of Ghibli movies usually have two subtitle tracks, one that's proper subtitles and one that is closed-captioning for the dub's dialogue.

Return to “General Anime”