Been Working On New Script. Need Minor Help. B&A Images Inc.

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Been Working On New Script. Need Minor Help. B&A Images Inc.

Post by TwilightChrono » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Alright, guys. I've been working on a new script for Birdy The Mighty: Double Trouble. Note that it is NOT Birdy The Mighty: Decode. This is the original series. I've pretty much got every I want to do with this source fixed, except one tiny problem.

The colors look really faded. Like, faded, washed out. I would like the colors to be richer, bolder, brighter. I don't know if this is possible, but I would really like help in this and to know if this is at all possible to do without a sat/bright tweak adjust.

I'll also post my script below the images.

Before Cleaning Image:

After Cleaning Image:

Sorry, I couldn't make the second image bigger, still learning this thing.

Here is my script so far:

Code: Select all

MPEG2Source("G:\Birdy The Mighty 1\Combined Footage.d2v", cpu=0)
AMVIVTC(mode=2)
TemporalDegrain()
aWarpSharp2(depth=16)
DeRainbow(10)
Crop(14, 0, -6, -0)
LanczosResize(848, 656)
Crop(0, 88, -0, -88)
As you can see though, the image looks a ton better after the clean, but the colors.........I just want them, richer, bolder and brighter. Like I said, this is what I need the help with.

Thanks for any help I receive.
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Been Working On New Script. Need Minor Help. B&A Images

Post by Scintilla » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:44 am

TwilightChrono wrote:The colors look really faded. Like, faded, washed out. I would like the colors to be richer, bolder, brighter. I don't know if this is possible, but I would really like help in this and to know if this is at all possible to do without a sat/bright tweak adjust.
Sounds to me like a Tweak adjust is exactly what you're looking for. Why would you like to avoid it?

Also, does it still look that faded on your television set? Compared to other animé DVDs? If not, then you probably don't need to tweak it at all (especially if you ever plan to send whatever video you're working on to conventions).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:23 am

Any reason you chose to use functions like LanczosResize that have been, essentially, deprecated years ago?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:34 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Any reason you chose to use functions like LanczosResize that have been, essentially, deprecated years ago?
Since when has LanczosResize been outdated? It's the standard thing that AVSp utilizes in its resize calculator. Unless we're talking about Lanczos4Resize() instead as the better alternative, and in that regard, why not just tell him that instead?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:47 am

CodeZTM wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Any reason you chose to use functions like LanczosResize that have been, essentially, deprecated years ago?
Since when has LanczosResize been outdated? It's the standard thing that AVSp utilizes in its resize calculator. Unless we're talking about Lanczos4Resize() instead as the better alternative, and in that regard, why not just tell him that instead?
Or one of the Spline options since it seems to be up-scaling the footage.

People can choose to do things for many reasons - The same google I used to find threads on doom9 about comparing functions work just as well for anyone else, so it isn't for lack of information on the subject - I'm not here to judge, just to inquire. That reasoning might influence the suggestion of other functions.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:41 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Since when has LanczosResize been outdated? It's the standard thing that AVSp utilizes in its resize calculator. Unless we're talking about Lanczos4Resize() instead as the better alternative, and in that regard, why not just tell him that instead?
It should have been outdated since at least when avs 2.5.8 was out, since spline36resize is just MUCH better (better than lanczos4 too). Spline resizers are pretty much as sharp as the direct lanczos competitors, but with a lot less ringing and border artifacts, hence why they are generally the best option, especially for downscaling. On specific sources using bicubic could be better for downsizing, and using nnedi+some sharpener is probably a better choice for big upsampling, but still...
...nowadays everybody should just use resamplehq anyway, and at most specify the kernel internally (the default one in this plugin is spline36, by the way).

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:55 pm

From what I've been reading in the guide, it doesn't look like Levels is what I need for the color. I don't think banding is an issue either.

Well, if I have to do a Tweak do you guys have any recommended settings? When I used it on all my other sources up until now, it was used in conjunction with a bunch of other stuff:

Old Script:

Code: Select all

Mpeg2Source(File Destination)
Telecide(1)
Decimate(5)
Tweak(cont=1.1)
Awarpsharp(12)
Deen("a2d",3,7,9)
Crop(8,58,-8,-58)
LanczosResize(848,480)
I realize now how unorthadox this script really is, thanks to Code and a few of you here on the org. But before you judge, look at what it did for me at one point:
Spoiler :
That's beside the point though I guess. point being for the above statement is that it worked wonders for Inuyasha.

SO, in regards to the tweaking, what do you guys suggest? Or should I just play with it? And yes, when played on a TV they still look faded and washed out.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Why not just mess with the saturation settings in tweak untill you like the colors yourself?
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 am

EvaFan wrote:Why not just mess with the saturation settings in tweak untill you like the colors yourself?
How would I go about doing this? Messing with the settings?

Tweaking it to 1.0? 1.2?

Still learning.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:05 am

I would suggest you to leave colours intact in the lossless and just correct them as they please you while editing. It's a thing if you want to give the video a certain look, but you should do so with more control and limited to the amv. Barring levels errors in the master, you don't want to touch the colours in any way since you don't know how it's meant to look, whereas the paid professional dudes who actually coloured the anime would know about it.

Return to “AviSynth Help”