AMV Salad 6...next stop: ZENKAIKON

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 6...now open!

Post by moonbunnychan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 am

All of yours are some of the absolute strongest though. If I HAD to pick one, I'd pick the Men's Warehouse one.

And everything I posted isn't really a "lets cut these ones", because I like ALL of them quite a lot. More of a "If I really needed to nit pick some things in clips". There's really not a single clip in this run that I'd flat out be 100 percent for cutting.

I'm for cutting the text at the end too. Especially since the credits at the end of 5 say where to download that one.

I love the countries reacting though, if not for the credits but I'd love to see it used for SOMETHING, if not for this then maybe for something in 6. It had me actually "laughing out loud".

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:23 am

Funny you should say that, that's the one that I thought of too. But I also wanted to see it in a crowd again because Men's Warehouse always confused me in the reaction it got. Everyone was silent at Otakon during it until the end when they seemed to lose it once the logo came up. That one must have the most unexpected reaction for me out of all of mine, because I chose it initially for the Fruits Basket/manly voice/flambuoyancy combo of it. And I figured at the very least girls and/or Fruits Basket fans would get a kick out of it, but I can't even tell if that's the case ^^ I still laugh at him saying those lines even now, personally ^^ SOOO manly yet soooo not...

And yeah, if I had my choice, nothing else would be cut either, but we're at the point where we basically have to choose what to cut based on what clips we have a saturation of I guess. I hate to think it, but the most obvious choices are a couple longer clips so that we maintain some variety in a short production. Sony POS, Death Note Family Guy, Commander in Heat, Haruvi Baadoman, Gurren Rock and (up until the recent shortening) Rubber Ducky all comprise a fourth of the entire production's final time. I'm attached to mine of course, since I believe they're the best ones I've ever made hands down, and Death Note is... well... hehe ^^ Commander in Heat is just beautiful, Rubber Ducky's shortening makes it perfect, and Gurren Rock draws in the nostalgia of the audience strongly.

I'd like, first and foremost, to try and get some more clips into the credits, and use a clip for the intro, to maximize time and clips usage. I think if you truly like Kids React that it should be given the time it deserves in 6, since this one's already hurting my conscience at the thought of having to cut any more ^^

One possibility is just foregoing the credits entirely and saying 'grab these on the .org' and those who care enough to ask 'what anime was that' can go find it. May be a bit abrupt, but it may work. Although then we won't be identified, and I know you want to be, as do I. *sigh* ...say it Heero.

Heero: "Sh*beep*"
ImageImageImage

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:06 pm

If I had to pick a single clip to pick right now, I'd pick the Brady Bunch one...due to length and obscurity of anime. If you've seen that show it's hilarious, but from all the times I've seen it the main reaction was more "...what???" followed by laughs but not laughing at the joke it's self.

(I'm rather attached to Commander in Heat and think it's one of the funner things I've done, but of course I'm a bit biased on the subject :asd: )

I did have a possible idea for the credits though. It would be a bit of a style change, but you could do MTV style credits in the lower corner at the beginning of each one. Have it in the corner at the beginning then fade away after a few seconds. That way there's credit without a need for running credits.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:29 pm

moonbunnychan wrote:It would be a bit of a style change, but you could do MTV style credits in the lower corner at the beginning of each one. Have it in the corner at the beginning then fade away after a few seconds. That way there's credit without a need for running credits.
I'd thought about something like that but I don't wanna distract anyone from the clip.
I know, myself, I'm drawn away from having to read something on the screen, which is why I prefer dubs over subs for anime.
If anyone wants to see the details for these clips, they should download the other four episodes. ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:50 pm

No, it's not because of subs or dubs or anything like that. It's that things flashing on screen actually do distract our peripheral vision, and repeated offenses of that do actually take away from an overall production. Music videos on TV can get away with it, I don't think we can sadly.

I'd forgotten about Brady Bunch, and since we do have to cut things, I must agree, that one should probably be one of them. The reason I like it even without knowing the anime is that it has good visual humor that anyone can laugh at. The reactions aren't so much '...what??' so much as 'this is ridiculous ^^' The clip wouldn't have worked if it weren't for the great writing timing, like some kind of editor desperately trying to keep up with the inconsistencies of the song until they just gave up. If you watch the reaction vid again with the volume up, you can catch a lot of subtle reactions that are amusing. But yeah, it's a longer skit one that also has a long end even after the joke is done...

It has a special place in my heart though because it was the perfect clip for just before the Jojo car one ^^ Perfect transition from happy happy brady bunch to boredly plowing through pedestrians!

And don't worry, I wouldn't put Commander in Heat on the chopping block at all. Nephrite as Julia Roberts with Sean Connery's voice automatically puts it in immortality. Plus, as much as I am in love with my choice to have Itsuki as Peanut from Harvey Birdman, his best line in AMVS4 was still "Has anybody seen my pants?" with that shit-eating smirk of his ^^
ImageImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:57 am

I can't do any more.
I cut the Kyoka Bunch and Faith Plus One clips.
We're down to 28m12s and I can't bring myself to take out any more.
I'm working on the closing thingy
It's gonna be a tight squeeze so, from now on, I'll just have to ask for an extra ten minutes or have each con make sure we're in a video room rather than a panel room so I know the necessary equipment is all there.
I'm done cutting.
Once I get this next run posted, we're talking time line order... *flail*
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:07 am

Don't worry, I think there may be a few others we can get away with cutting in theory, but it really is painful to have to cut some more since I like all the ones that remain. Others that were discussed were 'enormous penis' due to the video quality, also I forget if they've been cut already, but the Popotan one, Popular Kids was a potential because of its quality as well, I am really special with Gravitation was another I felt could be cut to shave off 20 seconds, Full Metal Panic Adobe Premiere is another potential since I felt it was two jokes that didn't quite interact. But I still thought it was funny, so that one I'd leave in if I could.

If any of those are still in, you can try removing one or two of them and seeing about getting some time in.

Plus, panel of otherwise, you don't really need to talk at all with these videos ^^ They speak for themselves.

And please consider using the 'drop the bombshell' one as an intro. I think I could make some quick 3D titles and have god rays going through it from the nuke and that could be a good intro instead of the Evangelion Redeath one. It will be a less obscure reference and save us a bunch of time.
ImageImageImage

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:26 am

I... wish... we could put this in AMVS6...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJkSArZKnM
ImageImageImage

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:57 am

I know the Fraggle Rock one was supposed to be safe from the onset, but I never felt it was among the strongest.

Gaelstrom wrote:I... wish... we could put this in AMVS6...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJkSArZKnM
cute

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:47 pm

From going to many, many cons and watching Salad I can say that the Fraggle Rock one people always seem to dig and clap along with. It gets people motivated and has a kind of audience participation to it. That said though, it is on the long side, so if it was dire straights I'd be for cutting it.
I also second the cutting of enormous penis and popular kids just due to video quality.

As for the panels, the big delay comes not so much in talking but instead because nothing at a con ever seems to run smoothly. At most of the other cons (except Anime USA last year where it was part of the AMV room programming) it's done as a panel and inexplicably I don't think I've ever been to one showing where there wasn't a huge amount of technical difficulties due to equipment not being there, it not only not being there but nobody knowing where it is, missing some crucial cable, the "tech" people not knowing how something works....etc etc etc. It's unfair but the amount of time spent bumbling around by people who should have already had this stuff set up often cuts into your allotted panel time.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”