How to achieve a Laser Light Rays Effect?

JazzyDJ
Org Profile

How to achieve a Laser Light Rays Effect?

Post by JazzyDJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Using After Effects or even Sony Vegas, how could it be done to make laser light rays like in the picture below and animate them to move from the horizon line forward? It's kind of remeniscant of a matrix effect but it's not code, it's something like lasers. I'm not really sure exactly what to call it but here's a photo example...

How could you create that in After Effects (but without that website logo stuff)?
Number 1 on the Bottom 40

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Re: How to achieve a Laser Light Rays Effect?

Post by Mol » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:05 am

I think you would need first to make this background since it's most complex thing here (brushes stuff,or find cool looking wallpaper)
3d layer: x rotation and copy paste and another rotate to that (changing orientation with z value/moving image it around so it fits).

Coloring maybe is made by some emitter, maybe trapcode shine or starglow hard to say , background could be colored seperately.
Still better than that MMO.

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Make the emitters in one comp using something like ParticleWorld, lots of variables to play around with. Under producer, make the Y-radius either zero or something very low and it should have the look of being generated from the middle like that, where your line will be. Use a blending mode like screen when you put it in the comp with your bg and line.
I'm not on my comp with AE right now. This tutorial should give you some ideas about getting the right look. There are a lot of good tuts on VCP that address one aspect of another of what you're trying to do.
Some kind of glow effect with the line. Once you figure that out I figure the coloring could just be added with an adjustment layer (or maybe just a solid) and play around with blending modes.

I'm still pretty new to AE but I'm learning a lot of stuff from this guys tutorials. :up:

JazzyDJ
Org Profile

Post by JazzyDJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:04 pm

What kind of background or brushes? I only have photoshop 7.0 and some brushes aren't compatable.

Can Particle Playground be set so that the emitters are more strait and lengthy instead of just small dotted particles?
Number 1 on the Bottom 40

Return to “Effects & Techniques”