NO EXCUSES I SAID!

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Chez
Not Mexican
Org Profile

Re: NO EXCUSES I SAID!

Post by Chez » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:58 pm

It was interesting the first time, but I think some structure might help it more. I'm in brohan.
Image I stream and stuff o.o

aerotem
show 'em my judo throw
Org Profile

Post by aerotem » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm in. :dino:

Kosmit
Slippery Pole
Org Profile

Post by Kosmit » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:56 pm

I was hoping for a second No Excuses MEP. Count me in!

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Ok, it seems there are a bunch of people interested; not too many, but that could be for the better (as Komit was pointing out to me on IRC, less chances of getting trolls in the project).
Right now I'm looking towards January or February 2012 to get things up and running.

Also, again, if you have other suggestions on how the MEP should be handled, please let them be known over here, so they can be discussed before we start.

Zanzaben
Org Profile

Post by Zanzaben » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:08 pm

I would defiantly like to be a part of this
Zanz Bonus Points Tally
8bit_samurai: 1, CodeZTM: 1, Eake4: 2, ibabrak: 5, Mirkosp: 4, tipsd9video: 1, uncreative: 1

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:33 am

Not only should clips flow together in their editing, but also in their theme. We should avoid jarring switches in animation type and settings and try to follow a similar theme. We could also switch themes, but still has something to do with the previous theme so that it flows. It would be even cooler if a story could be told with it.

I think a cool concept would be that each editor tries to interpret the idea that the previous editors is trying to fullfill in their clip selection, but could not finish due to the clip length restrictions, and try to finish that idea. We could even post A WORD or Short Phrase" in the thread best describing what we are going after as a hint for the next editor to follow up on.

Example:

Code: Select all

First editor wants to create an action scene,  possibly with a shootout between 2 or more people.  He may choose a clip with someone pulling out a gun. Then he posts in the thread "Shootout" when hes done editing and submitting his clip.

The next editor sees this, and may choose a clip showing the gun being fired.  Then he may want to continue the theme,  so he posts "Shootout" again.  It may take 5 or 6 editors to actually complete this scene,  then when the last editor is satisfied,  he may want to move it in to a scene where one of the guys saves a girl from a stray bullet.  so he may choose a scene where there is a zoom up on a girls face (to represent a bullet heading towards the girl)  then post "Save her" in the thread.  so the following editors help create that scene.  
Something along these lines I think can create an interesting result. I can already see a few issues with this, such as footage limitations between editors, but that challenge might actually make it more interesting, Since this is where someone's footage manipulation skills can really shine through.

We could have someone (Director?) moderate the choice to continue or switch the theme and approve the direction the theme is going before actual editing is done to improve quality. This director may also create a basic flowchart of an overall theme before hand to loosely stick to if necessary. (so that the story doesn't go allover the place. )

P.S. I would be interesting in participating aswell. I would have no excuse considering the low amount of time requirements for this project.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Very cool proposal, Deshi.
This could definitely work, however we'd definitely need to pick the song up and at least a generic theme we want to more or less follow with the video together before starting, so that everybody will be fine and ready with whatever is going to be up with the project. We have more or less 3 months before the planned start (aka January/February, but this can be delayed further if need be).

The first MEP actually started out really well with the whole gun thing, and a similar song would work fine for the theme, so I'd say that as a followup to NO EXCUSES, we might just want to try to give this MEP a similar song and the same theme that was tried to be built at the beginning.
Or would you guys rather prefer something different?
I think that at the very least we should go for something action-y or at least very upbeat, since they're the genres most likely to work out well for this kind of workflow, but I'm open to any other suggestion if you have good reasons to back it up.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”