Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

Sukunai
Org Profile

Re: Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

Post by Sukunai » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:22 pm

If my house were to burn down, I think it is a safe bet the last thing I am going to be worried about, is some of my digital content eh.

In fact if the house burned down, I would say my entire anime collection in any form is the least of my woes.

Anything that can be downloaded later, is not really capable of being lost in any way meaningful. Forget the legal implications of that comment, the truth is, if my house burned down, the only things I will have lost, are not replaceable with any sum of cash.

Like my wedding pictures. My sons stuff from when he was little. My old books. Basically a lifetime of junk meaningful only to me and my wife.

I'n not myself in a rush to get blueray replacements for anything I have on dvd. I likely won't be buying blueray anything until I start encountering stuff that I just must have, that was not around in the dvd era to begin with.

My buddy was bummed out I did not want to get together this weekend to watch Star Wars on blujeray :)
Well duh, it's not like we don't have the George Lucas dominated stations like Spike that plays Star Wars almost like some weird religion :)
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:54 pm

If my house turned inside-out, I wouldn't say that I'd be missing anything!

. sure I'd miss all those great anime series I've enjoyed over the years even
if those series can not be replaced; their memories will be with me forever.

. people have taken & borrowed so much of my stuff that I no longer know
what I do and do not have in this house; isn't that sad!!!

. Guys worry too much about replacing things. If we want thing returned then
we would have known better than to let them do anything with them! -- hehe

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding, it's not about replacing the anime, but it's more to claim so you get more money from the insurance company...whether or not you rebuy or not is up to you.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 pm

The topic, i believe, was called Why Anime is ALIVE AND WELL in North America. Not "burned to a crisp inside your house".

Bottom line:

1) For AMV-makers, the DVD is the best source of high-quality ANIME.
2) Anime is still flourishing in N.A. despite certain setbacks.
3) Downloading MAINSTREAM MOVIES is convenient.
4) Downloading anime is still a no-no.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:54 am

.. I kinda like the Burn to a Crisp part ^__^

Anime, on line .. not many guys like reading/following things with sub-titles ( built-in defect! )

Selling in or out of its native country actually says a lot about the companies management.
( personally I never cared for fat girls trying to speak with a thin-voiced characters. -- must be an American thingy er something T_T )
As for its value, being Dubbed, that's your choice! Boot-leg stuff, its bound to happen as long as the mighty dollar is involved!

The question is, "alive and well in America" .. anything above .01% sales world wide is doing extremely well.
Answer: yes. It is doing quite well here in the US. 1 out of every 10,000 video's sold each day = big bucks to ANYBODY!
~fin~

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:Perhaps there was a misunderstanding, it's not about replacing the anime, but it's more to claim so you get more money from the insurance company...whether or not you rebuy or not is up to you.
Ahh, well to me, it's about wanting to give a damn about replacing the anime.

If I had a hard drive with several TB of legal legit anime lost in a fire, or a very impressive space killing shelving unit full of anime in bulky cases lost, it would still be lost, and the only way it is going to get lost, is if the place burns down, which means I lose a shit load more than just my anime, which is not surprisingly not the only thing important to me in my life.

If the place burns down, and you walk up and say cheer up bud, here's 10 million bucks, I won't magically cheer up. No seriously, 10 million won't replace the moments of my life that matter to me.

But hey, no one is going to pass up being miserable and with 10 million bucks for being miserable and broke with nothing left.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

Return to “General Anime”