Opinions: How Do You Like to Organize Your Footage?

JonnyPhoenyx
Org Profile

Opinions: How Do You Like to Organize Your Footage?

Post by JonnyPhoenyx » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey gang! Whoa, It's been quite awhile since I've posted on here.
Well, I'm beginning work on my third ever AMV. As I was sifting through footage, I began to wonder if my sorting/labeling method was as efficient as it could be. I've been taking footage and placing subclips in folders by character and shot type. I know everyone has their different methods and it varies depending on the project, but I was curious if anyone would like to share their preference on organizing AMV footage.
Here's a screen grab of my arrangement (I use Final Cut Pro 6)

This is the template I've made which I sort subclips by characters and fight scenes and what not.

This is an expanded view of the browser window, displaying the details/comments of each clip. I go into a lot of detail so I if want to use the same anime footage for a later project, I know exactly what footage I have, what it entails, and where it is as soon as I open the project file.

Do you think this method can be improved? (And I know sorting varies slightly depending on your software). How do you guys like to organize yours?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: Opinions: How Do You Like to Organize Your Footage?

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:47 am

I lay down all the episodes in my timeline, and then I just go through and trim out scenes that I think will be useful. Then I gather these all together and place them after the end of my song.
While editing my video, I basically just scroll to the right to look through my footage, find what I want, and drag it over the the left and place it where I want.
When I dont have a clip that I want, then I just lay down the full episode again and search through it.

Actually I usually use AvsPmod to search though entire episodes for a single clip, because its faster than me using premiere. (keyboard shortcut lets me scroll through at 1 second intervals)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:44 pm

I stopped clipping years ago. Full DVD or BRD per file is much simpler. In/out points in premiere to bin stuff to whatever I need for bins in a given video - all really "as needed" no real common structure to it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:49 pm

You are ridiculously organized. O_O Can I borrow you for a week to get my paperwork in my office in order?

I generally just clip full episodes where I know that I'll use a lot of it. But if there's an episode where I only need a certain character, then I clip a lot of scenes with them.

I also generally name them like... "Teddy Bear Swing" if it's the xmas episode of Toradora or something.

JonnyPhoenyx
Org Profile

Post by JonnyPhoenyx » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:49 pm

CodeZTM wrote:You are ridiculously organized. O_O Can I borrow you for a week to get my paperwork in my office in order?

I generally just clip full episodes where I know that I'll use a lot of it. But if there's an episode where I only need a certain character, then I clip a lot of scenes with them.

I also generally name them like... "Teddy Bear Swing" if it's the xmas episode of Toradora or something.
Thanks. 8-) I'm an assistant editor in reality tv, so organization is critical.

I see the "same timeline" method is pretty common. I did that on my very first AMV waaaaaay back in '07 before I discovered the beauty of subclips and a bins!

Return to “Video & Audio Help”