Steins;Gate

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
ibabrak
Org Profile

Re: Steins;Gate

Post by ibabrak » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:19 pm

What is the best show of all times? Don't be stupid, you already know that.
I personally loved this series from the bottom of my heart and I believe there can be no show that would out best this one. For me that is.
Spoiler :
I was really shocked when Okabe discovered that the red liquid in that toy dried up, but I was also really glad it did, because using his blood for Kurisu was really touching. Also, as he with his hardest breath teasered her while saying "I told you I'd save you"
I also think that this show should get public holiday or at least nobel price or something.
ImageImage

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:49 am

That was freaking awesome. So freaking awesome. Can't wait for the movie.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Been a while since I seen an anime I enjoyed this much. I'ma miss it, hope there will be a show that replaces this one for winter season.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:37 pm

I had a day off today and thought I would edit for hours today. Deciding to watch a couple episodes of Steins;Gate totally killed that intention though because I ended up marathoning the whole series :lol:

It wasn't perfect but insanely addicting and
Spoiler :
getting caught in a desperate time loop was delivered very well.

Ofcourse, if you intend to enjoy this series you need to forget about logical coherence and pinpointing all the scifi science. But if you just leave all the paradoxes aside and focus on the story you'll most likely get a lot out of it. As I said I really liked the time loop episodes. A way to keep your adrenaline level up! Every episode ended in some kind of a fatal cliffhanger. One could also feel Okabe's desperation and when it was revealed that Mayuri had a vague memory of every one of her deaths the emotional impact reached its peak. I also liked the little insight of one the dialogues when Okabe and Kurisu were talking about Okabe's numbness towards Mayuri's repeated deaths.

All that being said, I think the show could have spent more time on the story and the characters and less on pleasing its nerdy male audience with all the fanservice and harem stupidity. Some of it was amusing but playing around with Ruka's sex for the sake of some hentai fantasy was just mean :| Also, are anime cliches and all the typical fanservice really getting so old and obvious that you need to add these ridiculous comical self-referential comments on them? It's as if they're trying to cover up the fact that they're just doing the same thing as everyone else, recycling the same stuff and just for the sake of it :uhoh: At least offer fanservice for the female audience as well!

It's really a shame that the show merely duplicated the same characters that are reproduced over and over again because there was a lot of potential here. Basically all the female characters were some kind of projections of male fantasy, in other words they were flat and boring, but I guess the show was otherwise good enough to cover my irritation.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:24 am

Yeah, I tend to agree with you on the male pandering thing, I prefer good character development any day. I'm kinda torn on the fact that we didn't actually get a beach episode though, I can think of all kinds of hilarious shennanigans that would occur...like insisting on wearing a labcoat over your bathing suit.

One thing I actually really enjoyed was that Kurisu was not the stereotypical tsundere. That trope is so overdone in everything these days, but Kurisu is a fine example of tsundere done right. She has just enough of those qualities to make her endearing and smartass, but she's likable. :awesome:

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:00 am

ZephyrStar wrote:I'm kinda torn on the fact that we didn't actually get a beach episode though
I didn't read anything about the movie yet but I am afraid that is what it's gonna be about/echci shit.. Or is it gonna be going to follow up with the story? I'm reading the manga but I'm just in the middle but it seems that the anime ended by the manga since it's really short manga. :)
ImageImage

[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Post by [madaraxD] » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:16 pm

EvaFan wrote:Been a while since I seen an anime I enjoyed this much. I'ma miss it, hope there will be a show that replaces this one for winter season.
I expect the same :)

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:10 pm

I really enjoyed it, though I could have done without Feyris.

I also feel a strong need to re-read "The End of Eternity" (Isaac Azimov.)

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:15 am

Yeah, I wasn't a Feyris fan either.

I also kinda twitched in annoyance every time I heard "TUTURUUUUUU"

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:17 am

ZephyrStar wrote:I also kinda twitched in annoyance every time I heard "TUTURUUUUUU"
This

but Mayuri was necessery as childhood friend he
Spoiler :
choose over Kurisu
ImageImage

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”